• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I bought both. Bought FF9 again digitally on PSN. Considering WoFF again on Switch, even though I haven't even opened the damn thing for PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I was 18. I bought the game at launch as well as the goofy strategy guide. I did my part and enjoyed it. I just didn't go argue with people who didn't like it on the internet afterward.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I was 10 and had never heard of Final Fantasy. X was my first one.

In fact, I have yet to play IX despite buying it as a PSOne Classic for my Vita years ago.

People born after the release of FFIX are now entering college.
giphy.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't beat the game for about three or four years after it came out - the Silver Dragon in Pandemonium wasted my ass and I just got mad and put it away.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I dunno after ff7/8 the last thing FF needed was a nostalgia trip. I just thought it was so boring honestly
ye triple triad was better but tetra master was ok
maybe you are just like 200 iq and can appreciate the intricacies of a card game that relies on like, putting two 1-200 random number algorithms against each other

tetra master is so weird. i dont even like triple triad but its hella better than tetra master

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
^
Yea, I mean, I was 9.
I didn't use to visit forums (the internet was pretty young too) or comment much about the games I liked.
I didn't even know about the criticisms until much, much later.
So don't come and point the finger at us, OP :p Just saying, lol.

Btw, Final Fantasy IX is my #1 game of all time and I've always said it.
It's actually the game that made me a fan of this industry.
I still love every minute of it. I think it's the game that I have spent the most time with.
I remember printing out sheets full of tricks and stuff about the game. Man, the memories!

Last edited:

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
FF9 shouldn't be compared to World of FF. World of FF can go on somewhere, honestly.

FF9 was all right, but at the time it didn't bring it like FF7 or 8 had done. I got it on release, but that game becomes a slog. It's not bad by any means, but all together lacked the punch that FFX brought when it showed up for PS2. Zidane is a throw away lead like Vaan. Zidane over Vaan though

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I was 9 at the release year, only played on like 2002/3, had no internet access or $$$ for magazines back then. Knew zero stuff about critic/public opinion on FFIX. Me and people around me just loved all the FFs in the PS1, even if just for the neat cg stuff.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I've never beaten a final fantasy, but from the outside I think I've heard less talk of IX than any other mainline game in the series. Not even just to make fun of it like VIII. Just... nothing.

I need to get on my final fantasy marathoning spree soon so I can catch up by the next turn of the century.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I bought it just like every other Final Fantasy the day it came out? All my friends did, and most of us bought the completely worthless guide that came with it.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I bought it at full price right soon after launch and even got my first console (PS2) just so that I could play it! (Unlike FF7 and FF8, there was no PC release in sight for FF9).

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really on game forums around the time of FFIX's release, at least for Final Fantasy, so I don't think I even knew there was a fan backlash towards it until a bit later. (Same with VIII). To me all the FF's just seemed like they were considered awesome. It wasn't until X that I personally disliked one myself.

I 100% remember thinking the Wind Waker backlash was stupid though.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I actually bought a PS1 and FFIX on PAL launch day and it was the first PS1 FF played, (I had previously played FF 1, 2 and 3 US versions) and since I only wanted to have a N64 as a teenager, I never bothered with PS stuff until a few years later when I was over the console wars stuff.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was 18, and a dirt poor dude working his way through culinary school. Didn't have a PS1 let alone a PS-freaking-2.

I was so focused on my art at the time, I didn't even know FFIX had released.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was playing upscaled PS1 games on the PS2, which were still superior to the first couple of years of PS2 games.

Put the pipe down, son.

Final Fantasy had up until that point with 7 and 8 appealed to the mass market with a lot of eye candy. Those games were typically the prettiest things on the PS1, with some fairly impressive CGI cutscenes in an era where those things still mattered.

9 unfortunately was a victim of bad timing. Not only was that game launched a few short months before the highly anticipated PS2, but it launched almost a year AFTER the Dreamcast- by the time FF9 launched, game media and the casual market had long since moved on to next gen games like Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Dead or Alive, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, etc.

FF9 was NEVER going to draw a second look from the crowd chasing the latest and greatest. The PS1 was old news. It's a miracle and a testament to the quality of the game (it's probably the best of the PS1 FFs from a story and mechanics standpoint, graphics aside) that it sold the 5 million or so copies that it did.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was buying the game, playing it and loving it to hell. Not my fault it wasn't more loved.

It's been my favorite FF ever since and will probably buy it for the fourth time when it drops on xbox.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I had a brief minimal presence online in the late 00s but then was pretty much absent until 2015.

I also didn't play FFIX at launch.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it, played it, loved it.

Funny thing is, I'm currently playing the PS4 Version... still loving it.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I was two years old and playing my first videogame, Pokemon Gold version, on my older brother's gameboy color.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I was 12 and our family only had an N64. Any talk of getting a Playstation was met with some variant of "isn't one console enough?".

All my friends had an N64 as well. When FFIX released, we were all eagerly waiting for IGN 64 to drop the latest edition of 72 Hours so that we could pore over every last bit of sub-240p video footage of Majora's Mask. NOSTALGIA!

Anyway, yeah, blame my family. Or not, since FFIX sold really well without my 12-year-old self's "help".

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Bought the game when I was a kid from Walmart like, the month it came out. Had saved up allowance and birthday money for it. The art direction and soundtrack are my favorite in the entire series.

I own WoFF and Maxima but they don't really appeal to me for completely different reasons. I also don't think the art direction between WoFF and FFIX are comparable at all.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
As a fan of the 16-bit Final Fantasies I was head over heels crazy about what I considered a "return to form". I bought it day 1.

Also this thread makes me feel old since I was already in college when the game came out.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
IX was the only PS1 FF I owned as a kid. I played through VII with a friend at his house and neither of us cared enough about VIII to finish it.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Don't remember how old I was, but I bought every Final Fantasy game day 1 since I first played FF7.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was twenty, bought it day one, and don't know wtf you're talking about because I didn't use forums back then.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game, bought the guide book, even bought a load of figures
Was one of my favourite FF's - though the original encounter rate and respective load times each time were a little "trying"
Modern gamers with their QOL improvements don't know how good they have it compared to the dreaded disk whirl and loads of PSOne etc era RPGs

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with the "when it mattered" notion. The game will live on forever, so it matters just as much now as it was before. And I'm glad now FF9 gets the recognition it deserves.