• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
I bought it at full price, day one. Bought the strat guide as well, strictly for the artwork. It's still my favorite FF game of all time.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I was busy playing the game and I thought it was a return to form after feeling average on FFVII and being greatly disappointed in FFVIII.

I never really checked out the internet's opinion of the game until years after I beat it. I was more heavily involved in the Pokemon communities than any of the Final Fantasy ones at the time.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I was in college, playing it. Then disliking it eventually, never to return.

Yet, here I am almost 20 years after FFVIII released, realizing that I think it's a better game than VII, but still thinking IX is terribly boring and slow.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly playing handheld and PC games. I didn't get a PS1 until well after the PS2 release.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
My girlfriend and best friend are always talking about how amazing that FF is. i'll get to it someday. Enjoyed X, XV and VII a lot. (less X and more the others though)

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I was young and didn't care what people thought. Now I'm older and don't care what people think.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i bought it at launch, it was great and all but (to my recollection) general consensus was neither great nor bad, just kinda "oh, that was cool"

and i was more or less on that page. to me the game was a victory lap of the franchise's PS1 success with a serving of classic FF as nod to the pre-FF7 fans. i guess a good analogue would be Resident Evil 3, at the gen's twilight and it's perfectly a solid game but it was just kind of in passing. years later you wonder why it wasn't a bigger deal but at the time it was more of a side step to the franchise's "next gen" treatment

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
using the extremely rare moments of internet access I had to look up perfect dark info

Bongodaddy

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IX is easily my favorite Final Fantasy and I did get it when it came out. However, I was a young kid so I didn't exactly frequent message boards or the like.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I was 14 and enjoying the hell out of it despite using the awful PlayOnline guide.

Also, I was new to the Internet having just gotten dial-up, and didn't know what a forum was or looked at any.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the core fanbase was fine with the game, praised it and bought it. Any naysaying was very minor and probably had little impact on sales.

It was just a late PS1 release in the shadow of the PS2 and it's not like that look was going to have massive crossover appeal beyond previous entries.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Oh, I was there.

I was thirteen and really starting to get into JRPGs. Rented it from Hollywood Video but couldn't get past Disc 1/Dali Village because the rental copy I had was in such horrible condition. So I replayed the first few hours of the game over and over and over again until it was time to return the game. Few weeks later I got my own copy.

IX was my first Final Fantasy and remains my favorite to this day.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
It was my favorite Final Fantasy the day I beat it. The You're Not Alone scene sealed the deal for me.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I was only 10 but even then I enjoyed my time with the game. Always have a place in my heart for Vivi.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I was 12 so I wasn't sitting on message boards, but I was playing the game. So pretty much doing the only thing that ever does matter? Buy the game, enjoy the game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Played it when it came out and loved every second of it. I still have very fond memories playing it back then. Doesn't matter that I like some other FF games more than IX, I still love it a lot. I should actually replay it one day.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
Are we actually trying to blame players at random for... some game director hypothetically not being put in charge of the next Final Fantasy after releasing a critically acclaimed, commercially successful entry two decades ago ? (And another one a few years later, I mean if you want to blame someone for FFIX not getting a sequel or Ito seemingly not directing another another entry, blame Square, not the people who bought and praised his games en masse)

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it the day it came out, I dunno what you want from me! Also, World of Final Fantasy was pretty disappointing, though I have not tried the new and improved one. I like some of what it did but the designs were too Nomura and the difficulty was too wonky. Also, i really dislike mascot parades, they're the first sign that a team doesn't know how to make a good classical FF game. What makes classical FF great is the structure and understanding of how to create personal mythology, which was on full display in Heavensward.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
My parents made me uninstall it after they told me to come down for dinner and I said "alright, one more global cooldown!" and was waiting in my room for 3 days.

Apr 19, 2018
I picked up both the Japanese import and North American versions on Day 1. I've got it via PSN and Steam. And yes, I too even purchased that shitty PlayOnline "guide book".

So yah, super fan here. I'll most likely pick it up on the Switch, provided it's a decent enough port.

Last edited:

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing and loving the game while all my friends back in school were telling me how horrible and "kiddy" it was.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I was 13. I was far away from all online forums so i didn't let the public opinion poison my mind on what's supposed to be "cool" to like or not.

It was the first Final Fantasy i ever played and i loved every second of it.
In fact, i loved it so much that after that one, i played FFVII and FFVIII and didn't really like them as much.
Then i played FFX and i loved it too.

But FFIX is simply special. First of all, i love the setting. The world of Gaia is simply amazing. I like the fact that it's not a futuristic world.
Also, it has the best OST from ANY Final Fantasy ever.
Fight me all you want.

I'm playing it right now on the PS4 and loving every second of it.
In fact...i bought FFIX and FFXV...played 2 hours of XV and decided to start FFIX again and i still couldn't let go of it.
I actually stopped playing everything else to revisit it. That was NOT supposed to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
FF IX was the last game of "Epic Gaming Winter Break 2000."

Over the month of winter break during University that year (2000-2001 school year). I played, in order: Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil 3, Grandma 2, and finally Final Fantasy 9. I finished up a couple days after spring term started.

So...I bought it, played it, and loved it.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Haha this is the most ridiculous, bullshit retroactive finger pointing I've seen in a while. I say this as someone that feels Persona 2 was the last good game in that series.

I bought FFIX when it came out. The market, industry, and the way gamers communicated were all very different at that time.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was 9 and didn't have a ps2 or 1. I remember the gaming environment being vastly different at the time too

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got it for Christmas the year it came out here, so I absolutely was playing the crap out of the game (but ran into loading issues, due to my PS1 having some read problems on some sections of the game. Bahamut ravaging the city on Disc 3, when you go to make decisions for the troops, the game often would soft lock for me there).

I was... 11, I wanna say.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Looking back it seems weird how 8,9,10 were all released about a year apart from each other.

I never played 9, because I was trying to get ready for ps2.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it the day it came out, I dunno what you want from me! Also, World of Final Fantasy was pretty disappointing, though I have not tried the new and improved one. I like some of what it did but the designs were too Nomura and the difficulty was too wonky. Also, i really dislike mascot parades, they're the first sign that a team doesn't know how to make a good classical FF game. What makes classical FF great is the structure and understanding of how to create personal mythology, which was on full display in Heavensward.
Personal mythology is a good phrase. Now I have a name for the thing I think was missing from Octopath and that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had in spades. It's also something that can be taken too far like in FFXIII.

Thinking about it now, FFIX and XBC2 have a lot of themes in common. Which makes sense considering they were both newer games trying to capture the feeling of the SNES RPGs.