• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
We have learned that Joaquin Phoenix's character will begin the film as Arthur Fleck before the series of events that drives him to become the Joker. As we told you before, Phillips' film will follow Fleck as he returns to a city on the brink. We believe that Fleck will return home to live with his aging (perhaps dying?) mother, Penny, in her apartment. It's here that he'll likely meet Sophie Dumond, the single-mother set to be played by Zazie Beetz, and begin his descent into madness described as the "exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale."

We also know that Thomas Wayne will featured in the film, described as "cheesy, tanned" and rich-looking (remember this is from the Joker's POV), and that he will be in his 60s. Could Thomas Wayne's bastard become Bruce's lifelong enemy?

Fleck's mother was described as "very attractive in her youth", "obsessed with her former employer" and unable to believe "this is what her life has come to." Could Phillips' origin story be setting the stage for a deeper connection between Bruce and the Joker than we could have ever imagined? While it's just a theory, and a crazy one at that, it's possible that Penny once worked for the Waynes and that Thomas is the father of her son. Perhaps an interview with Wayne on the Murray Franklin show incites the dying Penny to spin the tale of her son's true parentage. Again, that's JUST A THEORY.

Source: http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/07/exclusive-new-details-dcs-joker-origin-story/

How hard is it to just take the flashback origin from Killing Joke and make it into a good movie? I do not like the sound of any of this - especially Batman having nothing to do with the Joker's origin.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So they're taking a page from SPECTRE's playbook? Probably not the best movie to be inspired by.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't believe anything DC movie related till it is on the screen.

besides the Cass in BoP stuff, I need that in my life.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's gonna work as well as it did in Flashpoint with Martha being Joker and Thomas being Batman

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like a fake out. Like an obvious one. Like something the film would toy with before he finds out he's a penniless bastard, furthering his madness.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird idea but it could work with someone talented at the helm.

With the director of The Hangover III though? HAHAHAHHAHAHHA NO

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And people complained when Joker was the one who killed Bruce's parents in the Burton movie. This is so much worse.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
If the go all on in the joker being a unreliable narrator so everything could be fake if go from his POV and descent into madness it be alright idea.

Jul 18, 2018
A Joker origins movie on same track of Killing Joke? Where we are supposed to believe that his origin story is true and then he keeps twisting and twisting it? I can see that being legit

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people said anything WB made now couldn't POSSIBLY be worse than what Snyder shat out?

WB: Hold my beer...

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I buy this speculation, but man do I hate that trope in general when it pops up. How are so many professional writers still like "Woah, wouldn't it totally raise the stakes of this awesome conflict, if they two men who are punching each other.....shared 25% of the same DNA!?!?!??! :o :o :o"

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We're running with The Hashtag Show rumors I see...

Let me go make a thread from 4chan rumors now

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer there to be a lot of mystery to the joker, which is part of why I loved Heath Ledger's version so much. Joker was an anarchic psychopath who changed his stories, maybe giving hints at truth, but never revealing much.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Why does it sound so edgy and awful even for WB?

Seriously, there is a Killing Joke, there is an Azzarello's Joker, there is Snyder's Death of the Family, why the hell are you doing this WB?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I buy this speculation, but man do I hate that trope in general when it pops up. How are so many professional writers still like "Woah, wouldn't it totally raise the stakes of this awesome conflict, if they two men who are punching each other.....shared 25% of the same DNA!?!?!??! :o :o :o"

The whole "bad guy is secretly the hero's relative" has literally only worked once, ONCE, in The Empire Strikes Back.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
pgHuL.jpg