• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
This really has crept up out of nowhere. Crazy to realize it's all in place for next week. I'll check it out.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The fact that

A) They have former NFL execs spearheading this

B) It's on NFL Network

C) They're not letting Trump anywhere near it

means this league might have a shot.

I hope it does catch on. There needs to be a smaller league for the guys who don't make a NFL roster. There's a lot of players who don't have a shot if they can't latch onto an NFL team outside of going up to the CFL.

I'm going to watch.

And Orlando has the best uniforms out of the bunch.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Also, if the NFL was smart, they'd invest in this.

Use it as a test bed for potential rule changes (like the kickoff rules), maybe have the NFL officials call some games to get some extra practice (not like they couldn't use it).

A development league, like I said above, is something that's been needed for a long, long time.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm rooting for Atlanta since they're the closest to me and got the best looking jerseys.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
They're gonna need a huge commercial and media push this week for that debut game though. Getting a SB ad would be the PERFECT moment to make this thing work.

It's already got more clout and has its shit together more than the UFL at least.
I think CBS is doing a promo for AAF tomorrow during the Super Bowl

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you arent a Salt Lake Stallions fan, then you're doing it wrong

I loved the UFL, so this is right up my alley. Anyone wanna do a fantasy league for it?

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
They're pushing this towards fans of the college game pretty heavily. I'm interested for that reason.

Condensed game replays would be a great idea that I hope they jump on. MLS did it for a while and it was fantastic.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
DyLAQrQVsAAZS-r.jpg:small
Waitaminnut. Is that Ron Mexico?

With being a smaller league, I wonder if El Paso or Albuquerque could get a team.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They're playing the championship game at Sam Boyd? God, that's so sad.

And fuck, that whole southeast corner of Vegas is going to suck when they come to town.

They should've started with ten teams, though.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
great OP

I had probably 1% interest in this league but after reading this I have to say I will definitely give this a try. this has potential to have some bleed over into the NFL whether that be from some rule changes or possibly absorbing two or four of the teams in the future if they don't make it on their own.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Waitaminnut. Is that Ron Mexico?

With being a smaller league, I wonder if El Paso or Albuquerque could get a team.
Man, I'd really love if an Albuquerque team existed. There's about 3 teams in states nearby but nothing there. The only football there is College but UNM and NMSU are terrible.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Im intrigued by the AAF. They seem to be making a ton of smart decisions, with the NFL partnership being the smartest for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I promise this is not meant to be a "hand-egg lol" type of response, but why even call it football at this point? There aren't any kickers, right?
Since you promised...

American football developed from Rugby football, which itself developed from numerous unstructured town "football" games (and pre-dates Association football (soccer) but that's a whole other discussion.) Those were called "football" because they were games played on foot in an open field with more or less no other equipment (as opposed to, say... on horse (polo,) on a specially prepared ground (tennis, croquet,) or with special equipment (hockey, cricket, lacrosse.))

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Well it will certainly crush the XFL if nothing else.

Should be interesting to see some of these rules put into practice:

For example, we're getting rid of the kickoff for two reasons. One, it's regularly considered one of the most dangerous plays in professional football. But the second reason is, if you look at almost any study of fans, they say the most boring play in a game is a kickoff. The least amount of stuff happens, it's least likely to produce something interesting. So we're getting rid of the kickoff, we're going to start with the ball on the 25.

Obviously, if you get rid of the kickoff, you have to get rid of the onside kick. So what we're doing… if you want to go for the equivalent of the onside kick, we will give you your ball on your own 35 and you'll be facing 4th-and-10. If you convert, you keep going. If you don't, you're giving the ball back to someone knocking on your own red zone.

We're getting rid of the extra point. We want people to play on the field, so they're going to have to go for two points.

…. We're going to take the play clock down to 30 seconds, so it reflects what's happening in the game already. Most NFL offenses are getting to the line in 17, 20 seconds."

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't agree with getting rid of the extra point. It made going for 2 more exciting and risky. Extra layers of strategy is what makes football interesting.