• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Yup.

Sorry Odyssey but at least you tried?
Nintendo went from sandbox to linear platforming stages for a reason. But if you remember(before odyssey came out) many people were being loud about wanting a sequel in vain of the sandbox games, and i'm glad they did because odyssey was hella fun, but I prefer linear as well. Best of both worlds would be best going forward tho.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018
I remember getting this game a day early, and it met the insane hype.

I loved how spinning was your main way of interacting with the world. Activating switches, throwing shells, gaining height, using bombs boos, which are maybe my favorite new enemy (which they didn't bring back for MG2).

The bosses were ace, especially Bouldergeist and the giant robot. Gusty Garden Galaxy was the shit. I also appreciated how they saved a whole mechanic for the very last level in the game:
Gravity Spotlights
Overall it crushes Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is great, but it isn't really replayable in the way most Mario games are (I haven't played Sunshine, so that may be the same). It focuses too much on sandbox gameplay and moons and not enough on platforming.

To me a perfect Mario game would be somewhere between Odyssey and Galaxy. Big platforming focus, but still in large environments that reward exploration.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think 2 is pretty great but I think compared to the first one it didn't do as good of a job committing to theme.
It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but I think there aren't many things it does better than the first one that aren't done better still by 3D Land and World.
However, Yoshi.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I do actually like the Galaxy games more than Odyssey. 100%'ing them was also way more fun and fulfilling.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The limited and gimped movement options from 64 and Sunshine and now Odyssey.
The pointless hub world.
The 30 or so filler stars.
Awful boss fights.
Overly restrictive linearity and lack of exploration.
The overly easy difficulty.

All of these issues make it the second worst 3D Mario game, aside from 3D World for me.

I guess people have started building up nostalgia for this game but it is really flawed and it's issues are even more now apparent than they were in 2007. It has the best soundtrack and presentation in the entire series but parts of it don't hold up gameplay wise. Like all those motion control specific stages. Galaxy 2 also has some of these issues but they are far less apparent and the level design was much stronger, as was the overall difficulty of the game.

While I understand you have obvious nostalgia for Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy is more cohesive and overall the better game. The maximalist Tinkertoy level design was done better in both Super Mario 3D World and Odyssey.

Jan 3, 2018
Odyssey is great, but it isn't really replayable in the way most Mario games are (I haven't played Sunshine, so that may be the same). It focuses too much on sandbox gameplay and moons and not enough on platforming.

Correct, and it gives you a move that lets you extend your jump twice as long so that when there is a platforming challenge, you can easily skip over most of it.

Nov 23, 2017
While I understand you have obvious nostalgia for Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy is more cohesive and overall the better game. The maximalist Tinkertoy level design was done better in both Super Mario 3D World and Odyssey.
Cohesion is irrelevant if my dog could beat most stars first try

What does that even mean anyway? And people talking about atmosphere? Game is 120 courses with a hub. A better hub doesn't mean the games "atmosphere" is better. galaxy 2 has the same themes and setting etc. this isn't a resident evil game

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Galaxy 1 and 2 are masterpieces that no other platformer has ever reached. Anyone that argues for the more exploratory 3D Mario's want a different kind of game, not a pure platformer. Galaxy is SMB brought to 3D perfectly. We need more of them and less Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
I've probably said this a million times but I just can't get into these games anymore. They're such a chore to replay. Not just because of all the load times and getting kicked out of levels, and not just because they have the least interesting moveset and worst powerups (though that's certainly part of it), but because the game is linearity on top of linearity topped with too much simplicity. People like to say that linearity isn't bad, and that's true to an extent. But when done the way Galaxy does it, I find it pretty boring. On a first playthrough it's really fun because they really do throw new things at you all the time. But on repeat playthroughs the game doesn't offer up enough variation or options to recapture that fun, or to make gaining a better appreciation of the systems rewarding. It's fine to have linear level design, lots of games do. 3D Land/World have that too. But Galaxy doesn't just have linear level design, it also has linear objective design. Which is to say, not only are you just getting from point A to point B, you're getting there by doing very specific tasks that offer little to no room for variation, expression, mastery, etc. Not only that, but the tasks they ask you to do are usually very simple and easy (shoot fire at the torch to open the door, float on the dandelion to get to the next planetoid, climb a wall as a bee very slowly with not real obstacles). And to top it off the game is also just as incredibly easy as every other 3D Mario not named Sunshine.

So yeah, I found the Galaxy games to be incredibly fun the first time through because the sheer variety of sights and sounds kept me engaged. But going back to them they offer very little in the way of what I would consider to be meaningful gameplay because they double down on linear level design, linear objectives, and then they make those objectives simple, obvious, and easy. I really don't think they hold up as well as people say.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
No, it's still Mario 64. Galaxy gravity idea was awesome, but the game was too linear, and often condescendingly easy.

Nintendo seems to have lost touch with what made 64 great. Every single 3D Mario game since has been way too focused on gimmicks. The squirt gun. The gravity effects (at the cost of presence and emergent spontenaity). The captures. The frustrating thing is that we usually get a few segments that highlight straight Mario platforming with his rich 15+ moveset. But they are so rare and spread out and you have to wade through so much inadequacy to get to it.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Super Mario Galaxy 2*

Honestly, it baffles me when anyone says Galaxy 1 is better than 2, I play both of them all the time and the level of creativity and originality is out of this galaxy in the 2nd game.

The only thing Galaxy 1 did better than 2 is the story part of it when the 2nd one clearly didn't even care about that, and that's fine.

Completely agree with this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 1 and 2 kind of blur together in my head but both are amazing and among the best games ever.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
*the best game ever made.

I played SMG1 as a 12-year old at release and that shit changed my perception on what video games could be. It was legit the first game I played that I'd consider art. Also, it got me into orchestral music in a big way. Such a phenomenal experience.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Ok but I don't agree at all. Galaxy games are fun but they are not what I want in 3D Mario games.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cohesion is irrelevant if my dog could beat most stars first try

What does that even mean anyway? And people talking about atmosphere? Game is 120 courses with a hub. A better hub doesn't mean the games "atmosphere" is better. galaxy 2 has the same themes and setting etc. this isn't a resident evil game

Nah, you're being pedantic and/or intellectually lazy. I'm not talking about the hub and atmosphere is important in most games with a loose narrative. The series often moves away from the idea of being a series of tenuously linked "courses" (64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey).

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Galaxy 2 but I consider the two games to be 1a and 1b. 2 of the greatest games of all time, they are both in my top 5.

I've been holding off a replay because i suspect Nintendo will do an HD re-release...

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've probably said this a million times but I just can't get into these games anymore. They're such a chore to replay. Not just because of all the load times and getting kicked out of levels, and not just because they have the least interesting moveset and worst powerups (though that's certainly part of it), but because the game is linearity on top of linearity topped with too much simplicity. People like to say that linearity isn't bad, and that's true to an extent. But when done the way Galaxy does it, I find it pretty boring. On a first playthrough it's really fun because they really do throw new things at you all the time. But on repeat playthroughs the game doesn't offer up enough variation or options to recapture that fun, or to make gaining a better appreciation of the systems rewarding. It's fine to have linear level design, lots of games do. 3D Land/World have that too. But Galaxy doesn't just have linear level design, it also has linear objective design. Which is to say, not only are you just getting from point A to point B, you're getting there by doing very specific tasks that offer little to no room for variation, expression, mastery, etc. Not only that, but the tasks they ask you to do are usually very simple and easy (shoot fire at the torch to open the door, float on the dandelion to get to the next planetoid, climb a wall as a bee very slowly with not real obstacles). And to top it off the game is also just as incredibly easy as every other 3D Mario not named Sunshine.

So yeah, I found the Galaxy games to be incredibly fun the first time through because the sheer variety of sights and sounds kept me engaged. But going back to them they offer very little in the way of what I would consider to be meaningful gameplay because they double down on linear level design, linear objectives, and then they make those objectives simple, obvious, and easy. I really don't think they hold up as well as people say.

There are also those levels that weren't even fun on the first playthrough. Every single level that focused on showing off the capabilities of the Wii remote is terrible. (manta surfing, bubble blowing, pull star, ball rolling...etc.) Those gimmick levels feel as if they belong in a completely different game but are shoehorned into a Mario game for no good reason. They take up a not so insignificant chunk out of the games 120 stars.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2*

Honestly, it baffles me when anyone says Galaxy 1 is better than 2, I play both of them all the time and the level of creativity and originality is out of this galaxy in the 2nd game.

The only thing Galaxy 1 did better than 2 is the story part of it when the 2nd one clearly didn't even care about that, and that's fine.
Agreed

Galaxy 1 has the benefit of being the first game, so I think people remember it more fondly for that reason. But if you go back and play the games now galaxy 2 is in another league.

Personally I think 3D world is better than both, though.

Oct 25, 2017
There are also those levels that weren't even fun on the first playthrough. Every single level that focused on showing off the capabilities of the Wii remote is terrible. (manta surfing, bubble blowing, pull star, ball rolling...etc.) Those gimmick levels feel as if they belong in a completely different game but are shoehorned into a Mario game for no good reason. They take up a not so insignificant chunk out of the games 120 stars.

Funny because those are probably the levels I enjoy most. They at least ask something unique and interesting of the player, and a lot of them you can get through quickly or in more interesting ways with more skill.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017

Well said. I agree completely.

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep asking fans of Odyssey to show me an actual fun platforming segment within that game. And I mean an actual fun platforming section within the environment, not "Look at Mario chain his moves together to get up this tree!" The other 3D Mario games aren't exactly riveting platformers at all times, but Odyssey took it to another level. Every kingdom felt like Beach Bowl Galaxy only bigger and more stretched out. I'll admit that New Donk City was as far as I got before quitting out of sheer boredom.

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep asking fans of Odyssey to show me an actual fun platforming segment within that game. And I mean an actual fun platforming section within the environment, not "Look at Mario chain his moves together to get up this tree!" The other 3D Mario games aren't exactly riveting platformers at all time, but Odyssey took it to another level. Every kingdom felt like Beach Bowl Galaxy only bigger and more stretched out. I'll admit that New Donk City was as far as I got before quitting out of sheer boredom.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've admittedly not made it through the entirety of Galaxy 2, but from what I have played I'd put both 3D World and Astrobot far ahead of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but unless it becomes exponentially better further through the game I find it far less appealing than those two masterpieces.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stomach an initial playthrough of Galaxy, but I might try Galaxy 2 some day.

3D World was wonderful, though.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Mario games that make me "feel" something. It's usually playing on nostalgia, sure, but Mario Galaxy 1/2 scratched that itch with the grand scope of the games + the incredible soundtracks. Odyssey worked similarly. 3D World did absolutely nothing for me in that regard outside of this track:

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
It was fine but forgettable. I can barely remember it (besides one of the last stars being an annoying coins collecting level), while I can still remember most of 64's levels and everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If they don't pump the Comet Observatory theme all over Super Nintendo Land I'm canceling Universal Studios. That theme has always reminded me of Disneyland in the best ways.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Besides it being a nice looking Wii game at the time, I don't look back on the game very fondly. I managed to play through it but I had nowhere near the fun with it that I did with Mario 64, Sunshine or Odyssey. As a Mario fan it was definitely disappointing that there wasn't what I found to be a top tier Mario game to play on there, but the Super Mario Collection eased the burden a bit.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it couldn't get much better than Galaxy, and then its sequel arrived.
Original space outing is still stellar though.

Maybe I'll give Odyssey another try eventually.

This was something I was gonna make a thread about when I finally got all the base game moons in Odyssey last month, but I forgot.
And that's just how much cool obstacle course content there is tucked away in Odyssey that many players who reach the credits still wont see.

When down to my last 30 moons I stumbled into some mad bullet bill and banzai bill areas with no cappy and entirely destructible platforms, its hidden star required a good 8 or so perfectly timed non stop long jumps in a row and probably got me in the pit more than anything in the whole game, and I'd never have seen it if I didn't go for that final push for 100%.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Quake 3 is still the GOAT imo. Haven't played Odyssey yet, but I would probably put 64 over Galaxy

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could not agree more with OP. HD Switch version when? Its vastly superior to SMG2 as well which, good as it was, only piggybacked off the ideas that SMG1 invented.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
share_icon.jpg

Nah that this bad boy here. Galaxy 1 and 2 are probably #2 and #3 on the list tho.