• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like lowered production costs will be a primary motivator to move to ray tracing even if there were no other big compelling reasons. I think once the user base with adequate hardware is built up things will move very quickly.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's cool, but really expensive from a performance standpoint...probably will be rare or nonexistent on next gen consoles and an option on PC for those with machines that can handle it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
And I suppose a decade or so from now many game engines will just drop their rasterization renderer completely
I really doubt that this will ever happen. Rasterization is very good on some stuff which you still need to render a scene even with RT being fast and everywhere. Why throw out free performance if the IQ end result is the same or very similar? I expect that some FF rasterization h/w will remain in GPUs for a very very long time, even if only for b/w compatibility, and this means that you'd be wise to use this h/w in your renderer where it will fit your requirements.

Would be nice if there was a separate ray tracing add-in card to expand on your GPUs current ability. That way you wouldn't need to upgrade GPUs as often to keep current on the growing requirements for ray trading.
There is no "RT add-in", your GPU is working 100% when doing RT, you can't have "separate RT card" because you still need to upgrade the rest of your GPU (generic compute, caches and LDS sizes, memory bus speeds, compute capabilities, etc) for RT to be fast. I don't know why people don't understand this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak on AMD, but the move to 7nm should help improve RT performance since they can cram more cores on the die. I think we'll see a lot of step down while increasing RT cores (in addition to decent improvements to rasterization).