• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Ash Win

• No

Votes: 304 33.6%
  • No

Votes: 149 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 206 22.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 245 27.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It is possible for Ash to win, you know.

Even if he doesn't, though, it's not unheard of for the trainer that ultimately wins the league to basically show up right as the league is beginning, so I'm not sure why you're theorycrafting about how Guzma is likely to win just because there's no obvious choice yet. Even with the anime taking quite a few liberties with adapting certain characters, Guzma actually winning anything meaningful is a pretty out there possibility.

Yep. It happened with Harrison. It happened with Tyson. It happened with Tobias

If not win the league then at least beat Ash

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm willing to bet he will be at least top 4 again.
But I don't belive for one second he will win.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It should've happened last time, that felt like the time.
The series stays coming up with ways for Ash to lose when he should be steamrolling half the time. By the time.he loses he's going to have his team mostly fully evolved, everyone pulling out Z moves like crazy and whoever he.loses to is going to pull out some bullshit to explain why Melmetal, Inceneroar, Poipole and Pikachu all lost to a Sunkern.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Is there a list of essential episodes that skips filler episodes and sticks to the most interesting bit?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Team Rocket will end up winning the league, thus finally bringing Ash to his lowest possible point than we ever thought the writers would go.
A plan 20 years in the making.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That preview for next weeks episode. @Serebii has hijacked the anime and planted the seeds that will be Ash's downfall.
was not expecting a time travel scenario featuring Ash training a younger Kukui. Going back in time to secure his own defeat would be next level shenanigans
Like seriously, what?

Last edited:

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That preview for next weeks episode. @Serebii has hijacked the anime and planted the seeds that will be Ash's downfall.
was not expecting a time travel scenario featuring Ash training a younger Kukui. Going back in time to secure his own defeat would be next level shenanigans
Like seriously, what?
This is just further fuel that Ash will win the League and Kukui will challenge him for Title Defense.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This league is such a different construction that I can actually see Ash winning it without contradicting the rules that the writers have previously set out. This is more like him winning the Club Battles in Black and White than what we traditionally know as a league.

Still reckon he's losing to Kukui, though- his big battle's probably going to be against Gladion.

EDIT: Christ, remember how the Black and White rival was so profoundly uninteresting that they dispatched him in a 1-on-1 battle and made Ash's battle with Stephan the centerpiece instead?

What an embarrassment.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Man I really dont want ash to win in that shitty ass art style, just revert back to the old one and do whatever with him.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad they made him look weird, it doesn't really feel like the "real" ash if he wins it cause they fucked up his face and made his eyes tiny. Everyone else is fine and i like the art style though.

edit: oh shit someone just posted basically what I was saying 15 minutes ago welp

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
We're dealing with a real possibility that the writers have found a way for Ash to defeat himself.

It's the opposite for me, it's the reason I dropped the series in general until they reverted or changed it into something new entirely
Too bad they made him look weird, it doesn't really feel like the "real" ash if he wins it cause they fucked up his face and made his eyes tiny. Everyone else is fine and i like the art style though.

150975d155ca20444c7eb721b49c531a15f534bcv2_hq.jpg

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
EDIT: Christ, remember how the Black and White rival was so profoundly uninteresting that they dispatched him in a 1-on-1 battle and made Ash's battle with Stephan the centerpiece instead?

What an embarrassment.
And then Ash jobbed to a dumbass who didn't even have a full team.

Like, what the fuck were the writers thinking?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the opposite for me.
I just love the art style so much now that I cannot go back to previous shows.
Like looking at XY, it's just so bland, it's awful.

If they change the style for Galar, I'l finally drop the show after 20 years. Unless it looks better, of course. But a return to the previous style or CG, and I'm done.
Fitting, since Ash will have won his first canonical League.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Ash Ketchum is a false god and you all know it. Liberate yourselves before it's too late.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting on Bewear being the winner of this League. And I don't mean her joining TR's team, I mean just Bewear entering by herself and sweeping everyone like a Pokemon Goku.

Solo Bewear is gonna be the dream killer and I wouldn't be mad.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
151 participant Battle Royal for the opening match, last 16 standing are the participants. The animation for this is gonna be off the fucking wall, especially if its an Iwane episode.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
But if he did, we could finally have a cooler new trainer storyline.
If they ever swapped the protagonist they would be just as vanilla as Ash is.

Doesn't need a new protagonist, just better writing.

Outside the Indigo League, I don't think Ash has finished lower than top 8, which is still the quarter-finals. That's pretty noteworthy.
Right? If this were a real-world sport he'd be a celebrity at this point.

Peoples' perception of how the league works in the anime is clouded by the video games with their totally reasonable premise that a 10-year-old kid can be handed their starter Pokemon and become champion of the world in a week.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Right? If this were a real-world sport he'd be a celebrity at this point.

It's not "champion of the world" though. These leagues are regional competitions (and not even national ones if you consider how the four Japan-based regions for example follow the same "route" system so they're probably just part of a country). It's why you mostly see characters from the region itself in the league, rather than a bunch of competitors from around the world. So, his placements aren't actually very noteworthy.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
They aren't world contests, but they are continent wide(or country wide, if you believe the regions to be countries) contests. Which is still pretty rad. If I recall, Ash was famous enough that Max knew who he was in by Houen(but also went "lol you jobbed because your Charizard didn't obey you" if I remember. Or he just said he choked against Blaziken, can't remember).

Ash would totally be someone people would follow because not only he gets consistent results, he is also one of the few people that travel across different leagues. I can imagine people being like "hey wonder how he'd do in X league based on his playstyle" and make angry forum posts for like a few months, until it was revealed that he changed his playstyle entirely so all the angry trolling was useless.

Totally think he'd have at least a cult following among nerds who post on the internet. And they'd all be heartbroken every time he lost.

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't world contests, but they are continent wide(or country wide, if you believe the regions to be countries) contests. Which is still pretty rad. If I recall, Ash was famous enough that Max knew who he was in by Houen(but also went "lol you jobbed because your Charizard didn't obey you" if I remember. Or he just said he choked against Blaziken, can't remember).

Ash would totally be someone people would follow because not only he gets consistent results, he is also one of the few people that travel across different leagues. I can imagine people being like "hey wonder how he'd do in X league based on his playstyle" and make angry forum posts for like a few months, until it was revealed that he changed his playstyle entirely so all the angry trolling was useless.

Totally think he'd have at least a cult following among nerds who post on the internet. And they'd all be heartbroken every time he lost.
Post Kalos, sure. But before that, that's a big stretch. Not to mention he doesn't even have his famous Greninja anymore.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Through Sinnoh, everything were somewhat close together (since everything was based on Japan at that point), but since Unova, he's been going across the world to every region.
Galar may be sonewhat close to Kalos, but by then, people will have moved on.

Kinda like how everyone forgot Goku and his group after they stopped going to the World Martial Arts Tournament.