• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Ash Win

• No

Votes: 304 33.6%
  • No

Votes: 149 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 206 22.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 245 27.1%

• Total voters

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So, it's finally time. Starting on June 30th 2019 in Japan is the Alola Pokémon League, the seventh main Pokémon League that Ash has competed in. After coming so close to victory in Kalos and being the only person to take down not just 1 but 2 Legendary Pokémon used by Tobias in Sinnoh, could it be Ash's time to shine?

In Alola, as there are no gyms and the League is brand new, the league is open to all with all the island Kahunas helping out in some manner.

The Combatants
IjAGHlT.jpg

Top 8

Ash

DP353.jpg

Pokémon: Pikachu, Torracat, Dusk Form Lycanroc, Rowlet, Meltan
Z-Crystals: Electirium Z, Pikashunium Z, Rockium Z, Lycanium Z, Grassium Z, Normalium Z, Steelium Z, Firium Z, Solaganium Z
WIth multiple leagues, 48 Gym Badges, the Battle Frontier, Ash isn't the chump people think he is. He's a skilled trainer and has a fairly decent team on hand. If two of his Pokémon have a last minute evolution and if say Poipole or Solgaleo come back, he could easily wipe through the League, Tobias style.

Kiawe
DP228.jpg

Pokémon: Alolan Marowak, Turtonator, Charizard
Z-Crystals: Firium Z, Flyinium Z
Kiawe is probably the most likely of Ash's friends to provide a challenge. He's seen as the more mature and competent battler of the group and is the only one who was all fired up for the league from the outset.

Lana
DP346.jpg

Pokémon: Primarina, Eevee
Z-Crystals: Waterium Z, Primarium Z
Lana is also seen as one of the more competent members of Ash's friend group and certainly stands a chance. However, she lacks some of the raw power the others have with Pokémon, but having Primarina on her side gives her an edge

Sophocles
DP242.jpg

Pokémon: Togedemaru, Vikavolt
Z-Crystals: Buginium Z
Sophocles is probably a weaker choice. Struggling to get the Bug Z-Move right, he's not entirely the most competent battler

Gladion
DP81.jpg

Pokémon: Midnight Form Lycanroc, Umbreon, Silvally
Z-Crystals: Rockium Z, Normalium Z, Dragonium Z, Lunalium Z
Gladion is another strong option. He has shown himself to be a very competent battler. He has battled Ash a few times with varying results and, with the Legendary Silvally on his side, it could be an easy ride

Hau
DP317.jpg

Pokémon: Dartrix, Alolan Raichu
Not much is known about Hau's involvement, but being the grandson of Hala, it's highly probable he will provide a challenge, but considering his Dartrix lost to Ash's Rowlet in a battle, it does not bode well

Guzma
DP296.jpg

Pokémon: Golisopod, Scizor
Guzma showed interest in tearing down Kukui's plan for the Alola League and states his plan to destroy it. Having been listed to appear at the commencement, it seems likely that Guzma will himself participate. Guzma is a strong battler, but is known to run away. When Golisopod's Emergency Exit activated in his battle against Ash, he covered by saying Golisopod just didn't want to battle with such a weak Pokémon

Knocked Out

Mallow

DP273.jpg

Pokémon: Tsareena, Shaymin
Z-Crystals: Grassium Z
Mallow was the last of the group to get a Z-Ring and a Z-Crystal and hasn't really been seen to be much of a battler

Lillie
DP180.jpg

Pokémon: Alolan Vulpix, Magearna
Z-Crystals: Icium Z
Lillie has probably had the strongest character arc of any Pokémon main anime character, being afraid to even touch Pokémon and then gradually overcoming it. She hasn't been shown to be the best battler but with the Magearna her father got her by her side, if it awakes by then, she could be a solid option. She also has an Ice Stone prepped so you never know, she could evolve Vulpix
Ilima
DP188.jpg

Pokémon: Eevee, Smeargle, Mega Kangaskhan
Z-Crystals: Eevium Z
Ilima was shown early on in the Sun & Moon anime and was invited to the Alola Pokémon League by Kukui. His strengths aren't truly known but was capable of thwarting Team Skull with his Eevee which has access to the Z-Move Extreme Evoboost

Team Rocket
DP226.jpg

Pokémon: Mimikyu, Mareanie, Wobbuffet, Meowth
Z-Crystals: Darkium Z, Mimikium Z
Both Jessie & James wish to enter the League this time, and they could be a force to be reckoned with. At multiple occassions in Alola, through sheer power and happy coincidence of circumstance, they have been able to beat Ash a couple of times, but their plans are always scuppered by their Bewear guardian. They weren't listed on the Pokémon Fan magazine rundown of the league, however, so their involvement remains unclear

And of course there will be more

Episodes

June 30th: The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!!
July 7th: Brawl! Battle Royal 151!!
July 14th: Mallow & Lana! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!!
July 21st: Jessie VS James! A Battlefield of Love and Truth!!
July 28th: Overcome Decidueye!
August 4th: Bird Battle! Brave Bird VS Sky Attack!!
August 11th: The Road to the Semifinals!
August 18th: The Semifinals! Kiawe VS Gladion!
August 25th: Rising Fire! There's More Than One Rival!!

So, who is betting on Ash?

Last edited:

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
I kinda think that Poll's a bit unfair.

But.... It is weird that there's been a bit less hype from The Pokémon Company on this than with the Kalos League.
They really need to do something to make this one HYPE and something special as it's not good when a freaking Talking Live-Action Pikachu ended up beating the first Pokémon Anime film in Worldwide Theatrical Box office.

Anyways, I'm betting on Ash. I think Fans of all types are sick of him being written as always losing just to be a marketing tool.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many episodes has it been since the start of Sun and Moon until now? Wondering how much time it'll take to catch up considering how much folks rave about this season

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually rooting for him in the Kalos League. I felt it was the right time. I don't really care anymore.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

But.... It is weird that there's been a bit less hype from The Pokémon Company on this than with the Kalos League.
They really need to do something to make this one HYPE and something special as it's not good when a freaking Talking Live-Action Pikachu ended up beating the first Pokémon Anime film in Worldwide Theatrical Box office.

Anyways, I'm betting on Ash. I think Fans of all types are sick of him being written as always losing just to be a marketing tool.
I think they'll start the hype machine for it this month. Last year we didn't get any hype before we got the first episode title. Everything was building to the Zygarde stuff rather than the league

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuck lmao, that'll take months.

Thanks for the answer though, I hear this whole region is among the best the show has done
There's a lot of filler, but the battles (when they happen) are fantastic and when there's story episodes, they're great.

It gets dark too. We got the first non-movie on-screen death confirmed as a death of a Pokémon.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Man it feels like Alola started not long ago. Dont think he will win but I think he will make it to the finals again. Cant wait for the Galar anime tho.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
The answer is none of them. Tobias will show up again with a tan and with an extra legendary to show Ash has come 1 legendary closer to beating Tobias.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I learned my lesson from XY. I will never believe in the showrunners' ability to deliver a win for Ash.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
The episode summary for the one after Ash travels back in time confirms that Incineroar won't be a thing , at least before the league. So only Lycanrcoc will be fully evolved.

Melmetal is getting a figurine in July, but those have never been a confirmation and there's no episode between now ad the league that's focused on Meltan.

I feel like this is mostly going to be 1 on 1 battles anyway. No one except maybe Kukui has a full team of six. Nobody else other than Ash and Gladion even has more than two Pokemon.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I voted yes not because I believe in him but because I'd rather be disappointed than having believed in him for like six tournaments in a row since childhood and backed down when he finally won.

BESIDES it's like sports. Even if your team chokes hard, they're still your team. Even if you have no hope that they can win.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I got burned in Kalos when everything practically fell into place for him to win and they still had him loose, so never again.

Green098

May 19, 2018
At least Ash has a Mythical/Legendary Pokemon of his own this time. An Ultra Beast as well if his Poipole comes back to fill in his sixth slot.

However this is the first time Jessie and James have participated in the Pokemon league, I'm gonna root for them even if they'll probably not get far.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
At least Ash has a Mythical/Legendary Pokemon of his own this time. An Ultra Beast as well if his Poipole comes back to fill in his sixth slot.

However this is the first time Jessie and James have participated in the Pokemon league, I'm gonna root for them even if they'll probably not get far.

Watch Jesse or James win the league lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The SM anime is SO good. It puts a smile on my face.
I don't even think it's too impossible for Ash to win if they wanna follow the games and have a foreigner be the first champion.
Hopefully Poipole comes back :(

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The writers remember the backlash from the last league, and since the league is only being established, they can do the Battle Frontier/Orange Islands thing where he wins, but doesn't have to stick around and/or challenge the Elite Four because there may not even be one yet. It's Ash's time now!

Truthfully, though, I haven't really been paying attention to the anime after Unova League. I did see people making Kalos League bets and laughing that people thought Ash had a chance of actually winning a major league tournament.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Huh, that's early. Usually the movie in July halted the start of the league, but now that those are independent they can start it whenever. I wonder if the 3 or so months left before SwSh starts will be dedicated to Rainbow Rocket, 12 episodes would be enough for a mini arc.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What I don't understand is how no one knows who ash is. Dude has been a top contender in the worlds top tournaments, televised. He should be the first topic of the Pokémon version of first take as the next goat, even with his loses..

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kiawe
Pokémon: Alolan Marowak, Turtonator, Charizard

That's gonna be the bane of Ash's run, considering a Charizard has cost Ash the league 3 different times now (2 with his own Charizard at Kanto and Johto, then 1 with another Charizard in the most BS loss ever, even over Darkrai guy, in Kalos)

Xavien

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 3, 2017

Yeah it is, there seems to be too many Yes.

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I see that U.S. netflix has two seasons of Sun and Moon up for viewing. Can I expect them to have the entire Sun and Moon series up when it eventually concludes? I'm really interested in watching pokemon again. If netflix does not work, can someone recommend me a site to watch it dubbed or subbed?

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is how no one knows who ash is. Dude has been a top contender in the worlds top tournaments, televised. He should be the first topic of the Pokémon version of first take as the next goat, even with his loses..

Hes traveled to a parallel dimension through a random mirror he found in a cave in the XY anime. That has about as much chance of being brought up again.

/s

There are people who after all these years would like Ash to win a league at least once.
Not that I have been worried about him being around for so long! I just think eventually it'll be time for him to win a league.

pretty sure they explained why he wont ever win in an interview

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Hes traveled to a parallel dimension through a random mirror he found in a cave in the XY anime. That has about as much chance of being brought up again.

pretty sure they explained why he wont ever win in an interview
That's just you trying to justify your feeling of Ash as a so-called Loser.
Please just give the people like me who want him to win a league at least once a chance!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's just you trying to justify your feeling of ash as a so-called Loser.
Please just give the people like me who want him to win a league at least once a chance!

They already have Guzma as the Alain, as in hes going to have plot reasons to win, and maybe Kukui beats him after. Id bet on this being the deciding battle.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not happening with his team of unevolved pokemon and not using his old aces.

Also, guess this league is going to go the way of Unova if people are being allowed to compete without full teams. Due to that I'm guessing it'll be super garbage just like the Unova league.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Also, guess this league is going to go the way of Unova if people are being allowed to compete without full teams. Due to that I'm guessing it'll be super garbage just like the Unova league.
He does have a Mythical Pokémon that merchandise indicates may be evolving soon.

He could also get a Legendary Pokémon back to fill up his team. Either Poipole -> Naganadel, or Solgaleo

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Why would having unevolved pokemon matter when Z moves are so broken? He beat an island Kahuna in a stupidly unfair 1v3 ruleset, so the only thing that matters is what the writers decide to end it on.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He does have a Mythical Pokémon that merchandise indicates may be evolving soon.

He could also get a Legendary Pokémon back to fill up his team. Either Poipole -> Naganadel, or Solgaleo
If they have to resort to Tobias level fuckery to get Ash his win, that's just as disappointing. Here's all of these great pokemon he has that he could use, but forget that, let's just give him legendaries. Boooooooooooo!

Why would having unevolved pokemon matter when Z moves are so broken? He beat an island Kahuna in a stupidly unfair 1v3 ruleset, so the only thing that matters is what the writers decide to end it on.
Does the anime deal with Z-Moves the same way the games do? I haven't watched the anime but isn't it that a trainer can only do 1 Z-move per battle?

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If they have to resort to Tobias level fuckery to get Ash his win, that's just as disappointing. Here's all of these great pokemon he has that he could use, but forget that, let's just give him legendaries. Boooooooooooo!
I mean Lillie, Mallow and Gladion have Legendary/Mythicals on their teams too

Was surprised they didn't give Lana Kyogre

Does the anime deal with Z-Moves the same way the games do? I haven't watched the anime but isn't it that a trainer can only do 1 Z-move per battle?
Yeah it's limited

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Most trainers only have 2 Pokémon so will it be 2 vs 2 then go to 3 vs 3

Ash vs Team Rocket 5 vs 5 in the final maybe or Gladion

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
They already have Guzma as the Alain, as in hes going to have plot reasons to win, and maybe Kukui beats him after. Id bet on this being the deciding battle.
Guzma as the "Alain"? What are you smoking??? he never cared about the league, let alone the fact that he was rejected from being a trial captain. I think It's more likely that Guzma will befriend Ash rather than oppose him if you look at the games.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Guzma as the "Alain"? What are you smoking??? he never cared about the league, let alone the fact that he was rejected from being a trial captain. I think It's more likely that Guzma will befriend Ash rather than oppose him if you look at the games.

He didn't care about the league, he cared about tearing it down. If you played the games you know he has history with Kukui and they might resolve it through a battle.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Lillie, Mallow and Gladion have Legendary/Mythicals on their teams too

Was surprised they didn't give Lana Kyogre

Yeah it's limited
Man I'm still heated about Tobias all this time, can't be doing that to other people to try and justify their wins too. Takes all the fun out of it.

It being limited at least means it can't be abused I suppose, but I'm still thinking it won't be a good league. It's an odd numbered league and as we all know, odd numbered leagues are all awful. The first, third and fifth leagues were trash, this one is going to keep that tradition going.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He's lost unless the writers really did feel the backlash. I can't remember, did they respond? Or maybe I'm getting confused with arguments made by users. Did Japan care?