• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Ash Win

• No

Votes: 304 33.6%
  • No

Votes: 149 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 206 22.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 245 27.1%

• Total voters

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
OP kinda sucks. But I like the song.

The first episode was a little weak. Unless the subs explain it.
Didn't explain why Pikachu such an ass at the start.
Didn't show Oak capturing him.
I really don't understand why Pikachu left the clan. You're really gonna have me believe that Pichu is that heavy lol? Making Pikachu think it was burden on the mother.

Last edited:

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It felt like it since it added Go to the origin of Satoshi's story. I guess a retconned origin would be more accurate?

Feel free to provide context.
Gou just lived near Satoshi's town. They were going on a camp that day with Okido but Satoshi overslept like always.

OP kinda sucks. But I like the song.

The first episode was a little weak. Unless the subs explain it.
Didn't explain why Pikachu such an ass at the start.
Didn't show Oak capturing him.
I really don't understand why Pikachu left the clan. You're really gonna have me believe that Pichu is that heavy lol? Making Pikachu think it was burden on the mother.

Maybe he was such an ass because he was captured by Okido. That might be the only explanation

Aug 7, 2019
Team Rocket were using the Corviknight and Tyranitar in the OP?

Wish Pikachu's backstory had some more tragedy in it, like not even that much would still be enough, instead it winds up feeling like this could be any Pichu with how little it attempts to tie it to the canon

Mew trashing Nidoking was probably the highlight

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who else thought this looked more like a Let's Go anime? The whole pre-show for it felt more like a Let's Go thing, the show itself is extremely Kanto influenced, the only Galar Pokémon in the OP are the starters, Yamper and Corviknight, the OP has the Gameboy sound and says "Let's Go" a few times and never mentions the words "Sword/Shield", ZERO characters from Galar are in the OP. Even the name makes me feel like this is just supposed to be a Let's Go anime.

I have no idea why an anime like this is airing just after SWSH released.

The whole tone for this show makes me think maybe it won't last too long. Maybe a year? Then maybe the story follows Go, the "SWSH rep" of the show, through his gym journey in Galar.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Who else thought this looked more like a Let's Go anime? The whole pre-show for it felt more like a Let's Go thing, the show itself is extremely Kanto influenced, the only Galar Pokémon in the OP are the starters, Yamper and Corviknight, the OP has the Gameboy sound and says "Let's Go" a few times and never mentions the words "Sword/Shield", ZERO characters from Galar are in the OP. Even the name makes me feel like this is just supposed to be a Let's Go anime.

I have no idea why an anime like this is airing just after SWSH released.

The whole tone for this show makes me think maybe it won't last too long. Maybe a year? Then maybe the story follows Go, the "SWSH rep" of the show, through his gym journey in Galar.
I think so too. Maybe this might be a let's go anime at first but they changed it to another thing later. I really want them to go to Galar soon though.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think so too. Maybe this might be a let's go anime at first but they changed it to another thing later. I really want them to go to Galar soon though.
I feel like it's a bit of a mix of an anime planned around Let's Go then changed a bit because of SWSH's release and them trying to pass the main protagonist torch.

Some kids anime do this sometimes. For example, first Aikatsu anime had the new main character show up as a side character first with the old protagonists befriending her and over time she took the main character spot. Ash in this show and the OP feels a lot like a rep for the OG series, while Gou is the new thing. I think they'll want to see how audiences will react to the character.

They're going to Galar in the 4th episode
But are they going to stay there? Will they do the gyms? I didn't read the synopsys at all, but nothing in the OP implies Galar is the main region of this anime.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
They're staying there for 2 episodes.
This is a region hoping series this time around. After those 2 episode they're going back to Kanto.

8th episode has them going to Sinnoh for example.

Definitely a major change to the series.

I do hope Ash competes in the gym challenge tho. Since Galar dousnt have an elite four it would be nice to see Ash face an established Champion.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
First ep was meh. Should have done a 2-ep special like past seasons honesty, have no idea why they didn't do that this time. Liked the parts with Ash/Gou/Koharu though.
Music is decent, but not very standout. The only track that's stood out so far that I've heard was the remix during the Ash and Gou jump onto Lugia scene next ep though.
Really liking what I've seen of the main trio though! Seems very fun.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
1573984855511.gif

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Satoshi's voice is top trending in Japan. I thought it was kinda weird when I heard it on TV too lol
First ep was meh. Should have done a 2-ep special like past seasons honesty, have no idea why they didn't do that this time. Liked the parts with Ash/Gou/Koharu though.
Music is decent, but not very standout. The only track that's stood out so far that I've heard was the remix during the Ash and Gou jump onto Lugia scene next ep though.
Really liking what I've seen of the main trio though! Seems very fun.
It was a 1 hour special. No Boruto this week because they took the time slot to do this. The first half was just some guessing game with a kid and some idols.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His voice was definitely weird. Was surprised when I didn't hear Rica Matsumoto. lol

Epi itself was meh I guess. An origin story for Pikachu was already not an exciting concept, but they managed to not even touch the only two things that could be somewhat interesting (why he's so strong and why he used to dislike humans).

I know it's a region hopping anime, but I feel like that's just a compromise to show Galar sometimes, the whole thing feels much more like a Kanto anime and I honestly doubt they'll write 3 years of this. I expect at some point next year for the anime to start focusing on Galar and its characters.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Decent enough I guess? Pichu evolves from happiness and he gained that from his time with the baby Kangaskhan, even if he was sad leaving. Nice way to tie things together with Mew and Go, albeit indirectly. Speaking of mew, I love how they kept the character of it being an elder god tier shitlord always causing chaos where it goes. Hopefully it sticks around most of the time. But yeah, waa kinda hoping they would show why it was angry and fat, maybe they kept it for when Pikachu reunites with his buddy, you just know they are saving it for the future.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Satoshi really has a different VA this season? That's gonna be hard to adjust to.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It's still Rica, only difference is she wasn't given instructions to make him sound younger like SM. I am getting major XY/DP vibes from her tone.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great first episode! I really enjoyed it. It doesn't answer every question, but I thought that moment in the cave was pretty touching. I'm wondering if we'll see that Kangaskhan again in a later episode.

Here it is on the Pokémon channel btw:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Google translate says that future episodes will be uploaded on YouTube after they have aired, is that correct or just a bad translation?
Would be awesome if true.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017

Google translate says that future episodes will be uploaded on YouTube after they have aired, is that correct or just a bad translation?
Would be awesome if true.

Yes it's true.
There is this new manga called just Pocket monster on Coro Coro. Its first chapter is the entire next week's episode. Ending with Satoshi and Gou going on an adventure together.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Crap sorry guys. I got distracted by SWSH

New thread will be up by the next episode. I promise

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Give me official subs now
This or a simuldub.

I understand it's a franchise that targets children, but man, TPCI gotta get with the times. CNN reported on Ash winning the League and it hasn't even happened in the dub yet, while kids get their smartphones when they're like five now. They know what's up.

It's not like back in the 90s when DBZ was still on Namek and like ten years behind everyone else, and all you had to go on was some shady magazine that printed fan art and called it Dragon Ball AF.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This or a simuldub.

I understand it's a franchise that targets children, but man, TPCI gotta get with the times. CNN reported on Ash winning the League and it hasn't even happened in the dub yet, while kids get their smartphones when they're like five now. They know what's up.

It's not like back in the 90s when DBZ was still on Namek and like ten years behind everyone else, and all you had to go on was some shady magazine that printed fan art and called it Dragon Ball AF.
Shit the mid/late 2000s were like that for Pokemon as well. I remember the good ol days of Ash getting getting Gible, it was like a bunch of chimps found a room filled fuckton of shit snd started throwing it at each other.
It's okay you've been pretty busy with the post-game page for SWSH.
I know you said this with no ill intent but hot fucking damn was that savage.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019

joe / serebii is setting one up this weekend

also why didn't we see professor oak catching Pikachu that bothered me.

id die for official subs also, they should start a YouTube channel and upload all the Japanese episode I would watch from the beginning again Subbed English of course

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I put the pilot episode on when a friend came over and.... that was maybe the most disappointing episode of the Pokemon anime.
Mew just living there and main character just happens to see it...watch the preview maybe it gets better...Of course they're riding Lugia now. Pikachu's backstory was a big nothing that doesn't even count as character development.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Unfortunately they've now region locked the episode on youtube and will do so for each episode in the future