• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
How long has it been since they made a game that wasn't M&L? Excited to see what they'll be doing on consoles now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chihiro Fujioka is still there.

Collab with Square and make Super Mario RPG 2 with a claymation art style.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume they mean they want people with experience on modern platforms. Who knows though, maybe they are branching out since Nintendo didn't make an investment in the company or something.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
their talent has been wasted a bit on the two recent remakes. hopefully their next game is something entirely new.
i haven't played any of their 3DS games but superstar saga and browser's inside story are fantastic games, and some of the funniest games out there.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good to see that they're finally moving to the Switch, though I'm curious to see if this game is another Mario & Luigi game or a new IP entirely.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Given the Mario and Luigi series has gone downhill with two mediocre new entries and two remakes, maybe they're moving on.

We have 5 Mario and Luigi games now, do we need more?

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Given the Mario and Luigi series has gone downhill with two mediocre new entries and two remakes, maybe they're moving on.

We have 5 Mario and Luigi games now, do we need more?

I could be wrong, but the latest batch of M&L games didn't seem to be particularly successful saleswise either. Hopefully they are freed to make something else.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I could be wrong, but the latest batch of M&L games didn't seem to be particularly successful saleswise either. Hopefully they are freed to make something else.

Dream Team did very well it was a million seller, but I think Paper Jam did poorly. I don't know how the remake did.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they stay with Nintendo for their next game, I hope they make something similar to M&L but in a different IP and with the option for co-op. Would be Perfect for the Switch™.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe M&L is going so we can have a proper Paper Mario RPG again.
paper mario wouldn't be done by alphadream

Just a compilation re-release for Switch please and thank you. I've always wanted to play BIS but I don't think I can bring myself to do it on 3DS.
i hope not, they've seriously exhausted the series, after 4 games on 3DS, they really need to work on something new instead of putting the effort to port the m&l games to switch

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not quite the point. Nintendo has said that they've moved Paper Mario away from being traditional RPGs because they believe the Mario & Luigi series fills that gap. It doesn't, really, but that's their reasoning.
i see what you mean. i too hope they go back to the style of traditional paper mario rpg and make another one

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Would be nice if they could try another series, clearly a talented team there.

While we're at it, let the poor saps at NST do a non-Mario vs Donkey Kong D:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Sounds a bit like Game Freak. Hopefully a new Mario RPG is still in the works.

I don't think we have official sales numbers after the first few months, but M&L Dream Team was selling faster than Sticker Star according to Nintendo's financial data.

Maybe M&L is going so we can have a proper Paper Mario RPG again.
Now this just makes me sad.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I comment the same as in the other thread: I think probably with PS4 they refer to as when Game Freak recruited people who had worked in Vita / Wii U

It makes sense that Mario & Luigi is RPG and Paper Mario is not. Paper Mario can be different things using paper, Mario & Luigi can not NOT be an RPG.

Oct 27, 2017
But I wonder what the PS4 and SmartPhone experience is for?

Aren't they a Japanese company?

If you're hiring in Japan and in the job post you say "Experience with Xbox is a plus" most people aren't going to understand what "Xbox" even is. So they put PS4, Switch, and smarphone because that's what gamers in Japan game on, the general populations understands what "Switch" and "PS4" means. Xbox doesn't exist to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they could barely make 3DS games so going switch, PS4, and Mobile seems like wishful thinking.

Was kind of hoping they'd step down and let a new Mario RPG series come to be. There are like 5 original M&L games and only two were good. Paper Mario had a genre shift because of it but PM was always better so that's a bummer

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this means M&L is shelved for the foreseeable future. Give Paper Mario what it deserves.

It isn't. It's Mario & Luigi.

Not quite the point. Nintendo has said that they've moved Paper Mario away from being traditional RPGs because they believe the Mario & Luigi series fills that gap. It doesn't, really, but that's their reasoning.

That's the reasoning of the producers of Paper Mario be it Tanabe or Risa Tabata. Just it.

Feels like they could barely make 3DS games so going switch, PS4, and Mobile seems like wishful thinking.

Was kind of hoping they'd step down and let a new Mario RPG series come to be. There are like 5 original M&L games and only two were good. Paper Mario had a genre shift because of it but PM was always better so that's a bummer

M&L wasn't the reason for why it had change.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't read too much into the ps4 part. they just want people with experience creating HD console games

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
https://nintendoeverything.com/mari...eam-references-switch-in-recruitment-listing/

After making 3DS Mario & Luigi games for the past few years, seems like they're hopefully ready to make the jump to console.

Hoping this means Mario & Luigi on Switch, obviously. Although, they may currently still be doing BIS 3DS.

But I wonder what the PS4 and SmartPhone experience is for?
Having experience developing for other HD console hardware is a plus in recruiting for Switch development, especially since Alpha Dream's games have yet to be released on an HD console. As for smart phone developers, given Nintendo's position on the mobile market, it's not inconceivable that Alpha Dream has a mobile title in the works.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me I need to play the SSS remake. I do hope they make something else. We're good with 7 total Mario and Luigi games. Im excited for the Bowsers Inside Story remake but new is nice.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me I need to play the SSS remake. I do hope they make something else. We're good with 7 total Mario and Luigi games. Im excited for the Bowsers Inside Story remake but new is nice.

The remake doesn't have the optional Geno cameo that lasts five seconds to teach you about a minigame so it is automatically trash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The remake doesn't have the optional Geno cameo that lasts five seconds to teach you about a minigame so it is automatically trash.
2707.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There either needs to be something really creative and good done with the next mario and luigi, or just put the series on ice. I actually liked dream team, but it had way too much padding, and it was honestly a rehash of superstar saga and BiS. Paper jam was just super generic. Now they are doing two remakes. I dont think paper mario will ever be an rpg again, so there either needs to be a new mario rpg series, or revitalize mario and luigi.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There either needs to be something really creative and good done with the next mario and luigi, or just put the series on ice. I actually liked dream team, but it had way too much padding, and it was honestly a rehash of superstar saga and BiS. Paper jam was just super generic. Now they are doing two remakes. I dont think paper mario will ever be an rpg again, so there either needs to be a new mario rpg series, or revitalize mario and luigi.
imo they should use another nintendo series and insert their style and humor into it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I feel for both paper mario and mario and luigi honestly. Or at least transition it to wario and waluigi. That could be a nice changeup and that a lot of people would love.
i imagine kirby would work well in an rpg. he doesn't have much of a personality but neither does mario outside of rpg games. it would be be interesting to see them attempt to come up with decent characters in the kirby universe.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
But Paper Mario was here first...
The creators of Super Mario RPG for the SNES were first. They started AlphaDream.
https://www.giantbomb.com/tetsuo-mizuno/3040-662/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,36645/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,82627/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,36646/

But that's beside the point. Intelligent Systems wants to experiment with different genres, they've been saying this since 2004. I'd argue that the biggest problem with Paper Mario is a severe lack of original characters and creativity - which is probably a direct result of Nintendo's requests - not the genre.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Honestly, if Intelligent Systems would still want doing traditionnal Paper Mario game, they would. Most of the important staff from Paper Mario 1, 2 & 3 have left (not talking about the producers). There's like an assistant director who worked on TTYD and that's it.
They tried with the PM 3DS beta because they though they had to do a traditionnal, apparently it wasn't that good (I mean, look at how unique the companions were in 1 & 2. Then look at the vanilla chomp in 3DS beta lol) so Miyamoto said "why don't you try something else ?", and people just want to blame him because people for some reasons just want to hate the most important figure of our medium.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I comment the same as in the other thread: I think probably with PS4 they refer to as when Game Freak recruited people who had worked in Vita / Wii U

It makes sense that Mario & Luigi is RPG and Paper Mario is not. Paper Mario can be different things using paper, Mario & Luigi can not NOT be an RPG.
Gamefreak made a xbox one/ ps4 game called tembo the badass elephant. Dunno if the sales were comparable to pokemon though

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The creators of Super Mario RPG for the SNES were first. They started AlphaDream.
https://www.giantbomb.com/tetsuo-mizuno/3040-662/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,36645/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,82627/
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,36646/

But that's beside the point. Intelligent Systems wants to experiment with different genres, they've been saying this since 2004. I'd argue that the biggest problem with Paper Mario is a severe lack of original characters and creativity - which is probably a direct result of Nintendo's requests - not the genre.
I mean I'd agree to an extent. I don't love SPM, but still like it and that's mostly just all because it still has all that creativity with characters and story and stuff, although they kind of went over board in some ways which led to sticker star.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think a Wario RPG would inject some much needed life into their games.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if Intelligent Systems would still want doing traditionnal Paper Mario game, they would. Most of the important staff from Paper Mario 1, 2 & 3 have left (not talking about the producers). There's like an assistant director who worked on TTYD and that's it.
They tried with the PM 3DS beta because they though they had to do a traditionnal, apparently it wasn't that good (I mean, look at how unique the companions were in 1 & 2. Then look at the vanilla chomp in 3DS beta lol) so Miyamoto said "why don't you try something else ?", and people just want to blame him because people for some reasons just want to hate the most important figure of our medium.
this is what i've always thought. people assume the dip in paper mario quality is because of miyamoto's meddling, but it's more likely that without his guidance the result would be more mediocre

Dunno if the sales were comparable to pokemon though
lmao, we can't know for sure until we have reliable tembo numbers

Alpha Dream should make Zelda RPG.

i just want a Zelda JRPG
their signature is the humor in their games. would they be able to make zelda funny?