• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday the owner of Limited Run Games put up a poll asking people if they want a remaster for the cult classic Alpha Protocol from 2010.

With Obsidian responding to it today, I think there's a good chance it's happening. It's great to see Alpha Protocol given another chance because this game is heavily overlooked.

EDIT: Forgot to add Remaster in the thread title

Last edited:

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Direct on Thursday confirmed!

xBmbOcq.gif

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that it needs one hell of a remaster. It was mechanically clunky, the abilities were ridiculously unbalanced, and the presentation was really rough. There were some cool ideas in there, but they were buried pretty deep!

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it needs one hell of a remaster. It was mechanically clunky, the abilities were ridiculously unbalanced, and the presentation was really rough. There were some cool ideas in there, but they were buried pretty deep!

Are there any other fun builds besides pistol?

Kungfu master is pretty fun, but the guns are all terrible haha

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't EVEN tease me about it my blood pressure can't take it

God I loved Alpha Protocol

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Are they gonna clean up the jank? I don't want to endure that mess again regardless of how charming the game was when it came out.

Oct 26, 2017
Does Sega not own it? Odd to see these teasers and originating from Limited Run of all people, unless Sega licensed it to them ala Streets of Rage 4 and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It was one of the buggiest and jankiest games I've ever played but I still loved it. That decision making has barely been bettered (if at all).

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yes, it's incredibly janky, but it's also one of the most well paced RPGs I've ever played. I've played it five times for that reason.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way with how poorly 1 was handled. This would be shocker of the decade if it happened.

edit: But then again Mitsoda and Avellone are both gone from Obsidian so would AP2 even be AP2?

edit: Oh just a remaster. Nevermind, that's really unexciting.

Last edited:

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man I loved this game, I still remember playing through it with a Rifle that was stuck pointed in the air but I could still shoot forwards, played the whole game like that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they manage to fix the catastrophic amount of jank AP had when it first came out, this would be a tremendous idea. Alpha Protocol does the whole choice and consequence thing way better than Bethesda or BioWare could've ever hoped to, it's just buried under a mountain of clearly rushed and unfinished development.

I will never not respect Obsidian for being the kind of company that lets you completely derail the main plot by annoying one of the main antagonists just enough that he gets sick of you and bails on the story for the rest of the game.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoyed this game a lot but I've a feeling it won't hold up. Still I'm all for a remaster. Why not?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best game from last gen Ever! Played it on PC which was a way better experience than on console. The amount of choices you can do, it was also hilarious, the one-hit-snipe-pistol customisation was amazing.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Years back I recall seeing some Obsidian devs saying they were working on a patch but I have no idea how far that got or if a remaster would even have any of that included.

Apparently there were big plans for Alpha Protocol to become a franchise but everyone was pretty disappointed with how it sold and the initial word of mouth was quite poor.

Does Sega not own it? Odd to see these teasers and originating from Limited Run of all people, unless Sega licensed it to them ala Streets of Rage 4 and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.
It is SEGA's IP, yes. Michael Thorton even takes a SEGA Saturn with him on every mission, heh.

saturn_alpha_protocol.jpg

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I would love to see a remaster that cleans up combat and fixes up bugs and some of the jank. The story and characters were fine.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
AP was great, just needed a bit more content. I'm not talking obscenely long but you could finish the campaign in about 10-12 hours. I still enjoyed it tho.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
There would have to be a LOT of work put into the game if it was anything more than an upscale Every gun that isn't a pistol is basically handicapping yourself, and there's a lot of control-related jank all around.

But even with those caveats, I'd be there day 1 - the game's choice/consequence system is so amazingly good.