• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Their recent titles haven't performed well, but it seems like it came out of nowhere.

EDIT: A translation of the article has been made available via Gematsu:

AlphaDream, the studio behind the Mario & Luigi RPG series, filed for bankruptcy in Tokyo district court on October 1.

The company was first established in May 1991 as the interior and exterior finishing work company Mente Tomo and Ai, before changing its name to AlphaStar Soft in January 2001 (then AlphaDream in July that year) when it began work on video game planning and development.

AlphaDream is mainly known for its work on the Mario & Luigi RPG series for Nintendo and the Hamtaro series for Marvelous, among other titles. Most recently, it developed the smartphone game Kedama no Gonjiro: Fit and Run for ForwardWorks.

As the company was constantly entrusted with developing series titles, it recorded an annual income of 300 million yen in the fiscal year ended March 2014. However, the sluggish income, heavier burden of development costs, and financial deficits in recent years have entered the company into a financial state of insolvency. Performance has yet to recover since then, leading to the current measures.

As of the end of March 2018, AlphaDream's amount of debt totals about 465 million yen.

Thanks for the heads up, Nanashrew

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Holy crap. What were some of their other projects besides the M&L series? Were they performing as bad as it?

I wonder what's the future for Mario RPGs now.

Hope the people working there can bounce back from this

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh wow

RIP Mario and Luigi. At least they got to remake their best game before going out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn, it's unfortunate to see this happen to the company. I actually enjoyed the Mario & Luigi games.

Hopefully everyone working there finds new stable jobs as soon as possible.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
How does Nintendo financially support studios like these? Are they contracted on a pay for sale basis or something?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do bankruptcy laws work in Japan? Do they have a Chapter 11 equivalent or is this like Chapter 7?

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I wanted them to stop making Mario & Luigi games because they seemed to run out of ideas, but I didn't want it to end like this. I'm sad now

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bah, I had hope they were going to do something interesting with a new entry.

Their last few games have been pretty poor (both remakes and Paper Jam), but yeah...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
How does Nintendo financially support studios like these? Are they contracted on a pay for sale basis or something?
I thought it was like Intelligent Systems where Nintendo doesn't actually have a financial stake in the company, but they instead go to the studio for whatever projects they have in mind.

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This news has me distraught. Alpha Dream is one of my favorite developers... well, was

God this is so awful.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Damn dude. That came out of nowhere. I thought they were developing something for the Switch?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked Nintendo let this happen. You'd think Nintendo would buy them out if things went south for such a long time partner?

That's really surprising to hear, seeing as they've effectively been a Nintendo second party for over 15 years. It makes me think that they were trying to attract new clients for non-Mario & Luigi projects and no one was biting. I hope everyone lands on their feet if this is truly the end for them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks for all the people there. I hope it goes well in the end.

As far as Mario RPG is concerned I've been saying Paper Mario will return to its rpg roots this has 100% solidified that for me. Nintendo has no more experimenting with Mario and Luigi seemingly out of the picture for now.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Microsoft is looking for a Japanese dev, right? Hopefully they or more realistically Nintendo saves the team. I like their games, even if I kinda wavered off the series after dream team.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
omg what?! that's unexpected. i was looking forward to see what they're working on for switch.
i hope someone saves them, they're an extremely talented team. browser's inside story remains one of the the best ever handheld RPGs ever made.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We're in such a dire place with Mario RPGs now. My last hope was basically M&L rising from the ashes on Switch (Paper Mario being a complete lost cause).

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Mario RPGs are in a really bad spot now. They need a real fucking Paper Mario 3!

Hopefully Ninty can poach some of the developers.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a real shame, guess it wasn't realistic for them to be able to thrive moving to HD development with such a small team.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I don't want to rant yet again about Nintendo not buying or having more first party studios. This happens. Studios close,
Go bankrupt or can leave. If it's over for AlphaDream then there is no more Mario and Luigi.

it was getting stale but I would never want to see a company go bankrupt

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's... pretty shocking, tbh. Even though their latest games aren't the best Mario RPGs out there, they're still reasonably successful.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. I wonder if Nintendo's going to bail them out, or if they'll let them die like Cing.

Deleted member 32726

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
BiS, PiT, and Superstar Saga were among my top favorite RPGs. It was some of their best work.. definitely not gonna forget those games.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a way to get companies to make games for you while having to spend a lot less.

I mean that is typically how independent companies work together. You can establish a special relationship where a specific contractor gets first dibs but in return, the company rewarding the contract gets a lower price.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That's... pretty shocking, tbh. Even though their latest games aren't the best Mario RPGs out there, they're still reasonably successful.
Not sure that's true for the remakes? They did horrifically bad numbers from what I saw (25k opening week in Japan for Superstar Saga and 9.4k first week for Bowser's Inside Story).

For context, Colour Splash opened to 20.8k, so yeah, Mario RPGs lol :/
Paper Mario isn't a lost cause.
The interviews they gave around the release of Colour Splash completely killed off any hope I had for them (as did actually playing the game).

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is extremely sad, M&L is one of my favorite series :(
I hope they find new jobs easily