• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I'm sorry but you have to vote. I don't make the rules. I just make the rules.

• Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 439 37.0%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 746 63.0%

• Total voters

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Neither. I will say that at least FFXIII feels like a finished game. A bad one, but a finished one.

FFXV doesnt even begin to come across as a complete project.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As much as I like lightning as a character. XV is just a way better game in like every way I can think of. Even if it's not considered a "top tier" FF

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm also drinking and I've shit on FFXV enough elsewhere, so 13.

it's not a perfect or even great game, but it's a complete story that did what it set out to do, as weird as that goal was.

13-2 is better even though it shamelessly and lazily retconned the ending of 13.

actually fuck it, FFXV is a Frankenstein game that is aggressively, offensively bad and should be wiped from the FF books. What an absolute embarrassing disaster for everyone involved. The best content in the game was an FFXIV crossover.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
XV > XIII for me.

However XIII-2 >>> XV.

I love XIII-2, one of my favorite game in the series. It's incredibly underrated. Also has one of the best FF antagonists.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
XV has some redeeming features, including a good soundtrack. XIII has a good soundtrack.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also drinking and I've shit on FFXV enough elsewhere, so 13.

it's not a perfect or even great game, but it's a complete story that did what it set out to do, as weird as that goal was.

13-2 is better even though it shamelessly and lazily retconned the ending of 13.

actually fuck it, FFXV is a Frankenstein game that is aggressively, offensively bad and should be wiped from the FF books. What an absolute embarrassing disaster for everyone involved. The best content in the game was an FFXIV crossover.
Yaas king. Drag ffxv and Dino and frog lady.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Gun to my head, I would pick XV. Both are pretty abysmal, but XV had legitimately fun moments. XIII was a slog start to finish.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play XV long enough to figure out if I hate it more than XIII.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
OP is my favorite.

I'll go FFXV. It's a messier game but I had a stronger emotional response to it.

It's been years since I played FFXIII though, and a replay could change my mind. I also haven't replayed FFXV for the Royal edition so I don't know what's real anymore.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're both messes, but at least XIII is close to a complete experience. It wasn't sliced up and sold entirely separately almost a la carte like XV, though it did start that trend by including a lot of the game's lore in other media.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're both turds with great music and good art direction. XV is less linear but I prefer the look and sound of XIII. On the flip side, I hate the characters in XV less than Lightning and her group of losers. It's a tough choice, but I think Hamauzu's score might be the deciding factor for me. Always felt like Shimomura stretched herself thin with XV.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
XV turned out pretty decent with all the updates and the Royal Edition.

I have played though XIII twice and still don't know what was going on.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I love both but went with XV.

Visuals, music, combat are very strong. XV is also more polished than most open world RPGs, the animation quality is just absurdly good.

lawliet013

Feb 13, 2019
XV is the best 7/10 game I've ever played. So many flaws but in the end, I grew to love the characters and the weird quirks of the game. Especially jumping when you mean to pick something up.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
XV for sure. It's definitely a mess but I still had a really great time with the vanilla version of the game despite the fact that I could produce a long list of flaws.

In comparison XIII felt like a real chore to get through and I didn't really enjoy any part of it. Other than the soundtrack I guess, which is the one area where I think it tops XV.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think XV, uneven as it is, overall is much more enjoyable experience. XIII has strengths, and some that aren't celebrated quite enough, but my answer was an easy one.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
XIII for the soundtrack and that's a huge part of it for me. XV was a better game, but theres far less songs that stuck with me so vote goes to the former.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
XV is a mess and disappointment, but still a great game.

Played through it twice.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
XV was a good story told poorly. XIII was a poor story, with poor characters told poorly.

giphy.gif

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I love a ton of things about XV (though it has undeniable and oft-discussed issues), and hate pretty much everything about XIII except its soundtrack. Easy choice.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think the bottom 3 mainline FF games are: 1. FFXIII 2. FFXV 3. FFII (the first two being the only ones I'd consider 'bad', then the rest being mediocre to good from that point on).

... So I guess I prefer XV to XIII. Feels dirty voting for a game I don't like though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIII is a better game in nearly every way. Gameplay. Story. Characters. Art style. Honestly can't think of a thing XV does better and it's not close. XV is a trash heap at the bottom of the FF series.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
XIII for me, FFXV is just unfinished and it show, the story is a big confusing mess and the combat is just way too braindead for me to enjoy it. We also don't spend enough time to care for any of the characters, at least for me it did nothing. It's really sad because this game had so much potential.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
13 is complete and standalone even if you ignore the sequels. XV is an incomplete mess. I'd rather have a linear game than an "open world" that's barren and boring.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
XIII has an excellent combat engine once it opens up (ten hours in), while XV plays very, very poorly (unresponsive, poorly designed, and easily abusable). XV's cast has the depth of a puddle, but they are ultimately pretty likable, while none of the characters in XIII (outside of Lightning, who is just dull) are vaguely tolerable. XIII feels extremely narrow and simple, while XV feels overly large and unpolished (until it narrows considerably during the last quarter of the game). Both have awful, overwritten (and under-thought) plots. Both stories are pure trash.

I think that XV is more enjoyable, at the end of the day. However, both are games that shame a once great franchise.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i haven't even played XV and im choosing it

although i probably wouldn't like that either....shit

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"There's this really hip little bar scene in Downtown Durham, North Carolina called Pour. You pour stuff yourself. You pour it into your glass."

Okay?... is this your first time drinking?

I voted XV. Prompto is lovely.

Piotrek

Oct 28, 2017
Warsaw, PL
XV for me. It's the only game I know that evoked a genuine sense of camaraderie between the main characters and made them seem like real friends. It made me rethink what Persona 4 did with its cast (my then gold standard for naturally developed relationships between characters).
Sure XV has its problems, and a lot of them tbh, but it did totally nail that one aspect.
And the ending with
the last shot transitioning into the logo
was a genuine holy shit teardrop moment.

FF13 I didn't care for from beginning to end, although I'd like to revisit the entire trilogy at some point since - supposedly - it gets better with the later entries.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
XV has great characters and I enjoyed the story of it, and the music was fantastic. It basically hit all of the high marks... for supporting attributes.

XIII stumbles in a few places in those same areas, but it's then at the same time actually good on the gameplay front, with engaging combat and interesting systems. It is therefore without competition from XV, which has some of the least-polished and most poorly-designed gameplay the series has ever seen.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
FFXV was better for me. I couldnt finish 13, bought but not really played 13-2, finished LR almost out of spite because I was determined to at least play the game since I had bought it.

To me, LR is one of the worst games ever made. I know. It must mean I havent played many bad games! But LR is a terrible game, no matter how you look at it. The story made no sense whatsoever. The characters are so annoying. Nobody has anything important to say. It felt like going through the motions, as if the game itself was a parody of FF7. Lighting is basically cosplaying Cloud.

Only positive thing I can say about 13 overall is that it looks ok and the music is ok. 15, for all its faults, has better characters and a better story.

In short, what was Square thinking when it made 13 for nearly 10 years? Somebody should have pointed out at some point that the whole trilogy as conceived was a convoluted mess, with a barely intelligible plot that even now I cant really attempt to explain. What a waste of money and time.

Jan 11, 2018
FFXV with all DLC and patches has become a good albeit flawed entry in the series. FFXIII is decent, but it's one of those games you have to be in the right mood to play and only Sazh, Lightning and Fang are worth caring about (the game has way too much anime melodrama for its own good).