• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I'm sorry but you have to vote. I don't make the rules. I just make the rules.

• Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 439 37.0%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 746 63.0%

• Total voters

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
XV has a likeable cast but a mess of a story and design.
XIII has an unlikable cast and a mess of a story and design.

They're both my least favourite FF games.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I think XIII is an objectively better game. It's polished as hell, has great music, and most importantly, it actually feels complete. I actually don't mind the cast either, especially Fang and Vanille. The combat was really fun once it opened up. The OST is highly underrated and infinitely better than XVs idc what anyone says.

XV felt like a bunch of ideas thrown at the wall to see what would stick. Almost like everything was made in parallel by different groups and slapped together at the last second. It's possibly the least cohesive game I've ever played and honestly feels a bit amateur hour. It's just so unpolished and janky, the limitations were obvious from the get go. Subjectively, I had no interest in jpop boy band bro's going on a road trip either. Didn't feel like an FF game at all.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There is not a single thing XIII does better than XV. Combat, presentation, world design, progression, traversal, voice acting, everything. I neither understood nor enjoyed the story in XV, but at least it has the courtesy to stay the fuck out of my way for most of the game's duration. XIII is terrible and in your fucking face all the way through.

I don't hate XIII either. The battle system is neat and I love the art. But it has nothing else going for it.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Neither one is worth playing. Better things to do with my time. Worst games in the franchise by far, and FFVIIR will determine if I just quit the series. Less trash is XIII by a sliver

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoyed playing XIII, and XV was a mess. XV is the only FF game that I genuinely dislike. So I voted XIII

Jan 11, 2018
Can we talk a bit about the elephant in the room? I usually hate gatekeeping, but it's frustrating to see people fancy themselves big fans of the series pretend FFXIV either doesn't exist or actively dismiss it as "not a real Final Fantasy game" with incredibly poor reasoning. As someone who couldn't care less about the MMORPG genre in general, I'll say FFXIV is a top tier Final Fantasy experience. It made me regret missing out on FFXI during its prime.

Subjectively, I had no interest in jpop boy band bro's going on a road trip either. Didn't feel like an FF game at all.

But they don't come off as a J-pop boy band in the game? I feel like this is some of the most shallow surface level criticism being aimed towards the game, often by people who never or barely played it (and if they did, they certainly did not pay attention to the plot). I'd argue it's the most genuine depiction of actual friendship in any Final Fantasy game to date. And it's by far the strongest point of the game's narrative. It's a modern and refreshing take on the four warriors of light concept. Heck, their relationship greatly overshadows the so called romance of the game, which is nothing more than a plot device.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a way better time with XV than XIII, I actually finished XV opposed to XIII because I actually cared about the characters and liked the world, even if the story telling was flawed. Also even if the gameplay was pretty mindless but still more fun than the one of XIII

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
XV has the worst battle system I've experienced in any game in recent memory.
XIII at least is enjoyable at some point in the game.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Final Fantasy 15 had an irredeemably awful story and gameplay, but at the very least, the characters were decent.

Final Fantasy 13 had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV is the worst game in the series. It's only redeemable value was that it is extremely pretty, other than that I hated everything about it.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i like both, but i like XV more because my hobby is traveling, the sense of traveling/adventure in FF XV was awesome

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They both suck but if I have to choose one it's FF XIII and it's not particularly close.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
13 any day every day. XV is the biggest AAA embarrassment I've witnessed in all my life.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
XV all the way. XIII was a mess in almost every way - Restrained in gameplay and exploration for almost the whole game, the story nigh-requires reading the datalogs, and the sequels just heap even more mess to story. XV's flaws are mostly in the storytelling, which is alleviated somewhat by the care given to the characters and the DLC.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually like 13. The battle system is fun and offers a surprising amount of customization despite the "plays itself" complaints, 15 just feels like ass. 13's story is nonsensical but the characters are fun, 15 is mostly just boring and it feels like interesting moments happen outside of the main story. I really don't mind 13's linearity at all since I actually like linearity in games, though 15 had a pretty competent open world for what it was worth too.

I think 13 is a great game overall, 15 just feels very rough around the edges. It's not something I'd call horrible but I don't like it much at all.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
For me XIII has more redeeming qualities, mostly the presentation. The music is great and the tracks are more memorable than the operatic tracks of XV that often blur together for me.

The enviroments are very linear of course but can still be awe inspiring like Eden, Pulse or Nactilus. The battle system doesn't really open up fully until you can explore Pulse but I still find it more relaxing than warping all over the place like an idiot in FFXV. At least in the original release having only one character for a FF game was a terrible idea so was the limited amount of magics.

XV may have some freedom and tries an open world (for half of the game) but it isn't worth much when so many side missions are just collecting boring things. XV also has the really shitty stealth/horror section later on. I like at least two party members in XIII, Sazh and Fang, and none of them in XV. The story whilst confusing I felt had more striking world building like the memorable image of Cocoon floating over Pulse, the purges and the brands of fate. Wheras XV seemed to be a more generic story about demons invading, a clash of Kings and star crossed lovers.

I appreciate XV has two pretty towns but that's still rather rubbish for the scale of a FF game, also it has a charming villain with Ardyn but overall I find XIII easier to swallow.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
13 was worse since we were subjected to it another two times.

Although 15 was really obnoxious with all its tieins, movies, anime etc,

Both were giant clusterfucks. Id go 15 by a frog's hair.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're both utterly shit bit I actually managed to finish vanilla FFXV, which I never could bring myself to do for XIII. So I guess XV wins.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Had rather great time in FFXV (aside from the terrible side missions and hunts) until Chapter 9 and everything after was so short and rushed it ended before ruining every good moment up until then. In FFXIII I just couldn't invest in any character enough to push forward.
Not a fan of DLCs that should have been included in main game but at least I paid only for season pass rather than additional 2 sequels for a complete FFXV experience.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
XV has a lot more going on that I like conceptually or just wish there was more of. It's not a complete vision but I appreciate the ambition.

XIII I lost interest in early on. I get the battle system appeal but the cast and environmental limitations wore thin quick.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
XV. The story fell apart in the second half but the game was fun as hell to play. I even got the platinum.

XIII was the only mainline Final Fantasy that I've never beaten.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
XV was an absolute mess in many ways, but I loved the unique road trip vibe of the first section. That alone puts it over XIII for me.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FF13 was at least finished but the product there is just not good. 15 is at least fun before it falls apart

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This one's easy: 15. It may be less mechanically involved and full of busywork, but I genuinely love exploring the world and meeting all the characters, while 13's setting is just a bummer (and for a good chunk of the game, a line). While I'd much rather play 13's late-game content than 15's (it's inarguably a better combat system), there's something to be said about how 15 managed to keep me engaged and enthralled through the first half of the story without much complaining on my end, while 13's first half bored me away.

15 also has the best soundtrack out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played.

Oct 31, 2017
I love FFXIII, I like FFXV.

XIII has way more of what I want from FF; amazing presentation, a sense of an actual journey, storyline is a major focus, etc.

Oct 29, 2017
Neither is a very good effort as a whole, but I prefer the lesser stink of XV even though I played XIII for far longer (perhaps that's the reason).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean...

you can "like" or "not like" what XV does, but it's at least a complete, coherent story- even if some of that experience was drip fed by post release updates.

XIII was a mess from start to finish and the narrative is literally incoherent. XIII even got two sequels to explain what was happening there and STILL ended up an inexplicable dumpster fire.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed XV despite it's flaws and will gladly play it again. I didn't get far into XIII before I stopped but for some reason I really don't want to go back and keep playing it.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A choice between my 2 worst FF games.

I think I go with XIII. I can't stand the gameplay and performance of XV despite liking its freedom more. Both games fail at world building, though XIII actually feels like more of a journey while XV was supposed to be a road movie game, lol. They done goofed.

XIII ran and looked beautiful, the controls were spot on as well. The battle system was pretty fun too. Its just the rest, the characters, story, world building and lack of downtime thats completely shit. XIII was the dark ages of FF, when Type 0 was seen as a good game. Yeah no, then there is some serious shit going on.

XIV 2.0 is the best FF since XII for me.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV. Flawed, in some ways severely, but it does have some redeeming qualities.

From top to bottom FFXIII is legitimately one of the worst RPGs I've ever played. Didn't like a single thing about it.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
They're both bad games but no one in XIII is as cute as Prompto, so XV takes it.

Can we talk a bit about the elephant in the room? I usually hate gatekeeping, but it's frustrating to see people fancy themselves big fans of the series pretend FFXIV either doesn't exist or actively dismiss it as "not a real Final Fantasy game" with incredibly poor reasoning. As someone who couldn't care less about the MMORPG genre in general, I'll say FFXIV is a top tier Final Fantasy experience. It made me regret missing out on FFXI during its prime.

In a way, for me, it kinda doesn't exist.

I'm sure it's great, but I will simply never pay $13 a month for a game. It's just not happening. So, knowing this, the game occupies exactly zero space in my mind. It might as well be one of a billion niche, untranslated, japan-only games that I usually never even hear about. The chances of me experiencing their content is equally remote.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
XV, I actually had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed the story. It arguably also has the better soundtrack of the two.

XIII was a disappointment.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at 13 i liked it quite a bit. Would have loved if if was more open but it didn't hinder me from enjoying it. It features my favorite battle system of any FF. Never felt it was simplistic and that you could just press A the whole time and win. Quite to the contrary i found the boss fights really challenging.

Soundtrack is ace, especially that battle track. The story was bleh but that's almost every FF for me. The story is almost never the reason i enjoy them. I was mixed on the characters, but didn't dislike any of them to the point i couldn't enjoy their interactions. Sash was my favorite. Really liked his relationship with his son. Overall good game.

Now FF15 is my favorite FF of all time. Yes, despite all the shortcomings it has, in the end it still managed to make me feel for my party. Their voyage was always engaging and their chit chat never got boring. Shit i even did a lot of the post-game just so that i could hear more of their banter. The four are my favorite party of any FF, and Noctis even my fav protag. When you look at him without knowing his personality you would think for sure he falls into the emo category of characters but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I just loved his sassy nature.

In Ardyn this game also has my favorite antagonist, even beating out Sephiroth. It was endlessly entertaining to watch his peculiar mannerisms, and all his interactions with my party were quite enjoyable.

The ending itself was a homerun for me and really brought out the feels, even with the story leaving a lot to be desired.

This game has a lot of shortcomings like i wrote in the beginning. The biggest one for me are Luna and her brother though. With her brother i never understood his change of mind, it didn't feel like it made sense to me. Luna herself and her devotion to Noctis felt more creepy than like real love. I didn't care for her death at all. These two characters were just two big misses.

Lots of peeps didn't like the open world and felt the quests were more busywork than anything else. With the quests i agree for the most part but when it comes to the open world i don't. To me it enhanced the game a lot. I often times drove the Regalia to the destination instead of fast traveling, just listening to the music on the way. I felt it made world feel more real for the lack of a better word. Though, i love open worlds so i'm quite biased in that way.

I could say a lot more about this game, both positive and negative, but i end here because i already made this longer than i wanted. Anyway, shortform is i love this game, a lot.