• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 24, 2018
Say the writers of the anime got what they wanted back in 2010, Ash wins the league and the Champion's league and leaves the show at the end of the DP era, making Best Wishes a complete fresh start or say Ash leaves the show at the end of the Sun and Moon anime for a fresh start in Sword and Shield anime. How do you deal with some of the issues that would arise?:

1. Who should be the new character?

2. You should be the main Pokemon for the new hero, can't be starter to avoid the issue of a previous gen starter overshadowing a new in later gen's anime or them abandoning their first Pokemon, cross gen appeal, simple in design for marketing reasons and considered cute and cool?

3. What do you do with Pikachu being the mascot of the series, avoid just repeating Ash's Pikachu?

4. What do you do with Jessie, James and Meowth?

5. Who should be the companions? New characters, based off the games Gym Leaders?

6. What should the shows format, genre and plot be about?

7. Who should they catch?

8. Should Ash appear at all?

9. Anything else?

Also I didn't know if the gaming forum was the best place to put this, but since other Pokemon related thread were posted here like talk of the manga I thought it was the best place.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Structure it like a shonen so the kid eventually does get to be the very best.

Start the next region with a fresh protagonist when power levels get too high.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I could see the anime simply adapting their respective games more closely without Ash & taking the JoJo approach with rotating the protagonists in addition to the regions' respective supporting casts.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Do like the manga and have the game protagonist being the protagonist of their seasons

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole Ash thing is such a strange idea to begin with, just do new protags every gen like in the manga and games.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a more longform version of the Origins anime tbh. We still need gen 2+ of those, Kanto shouldn't be ther only one with that

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would probably end up with a similar structures as we had, but with the main character design changing each season.
Maybe with a changing endgame other than the elite four each season, giving something like the Legend of Raikou, but adapted for a season and not for an movie.
MV5BOGM2OWEzMzMtM2ExYi00NGZmLWI5MWEtNzQzYmJkZTI3YjBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3NTQ4MjQ@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
And%2Bnothing%2Bof%2Bvalue%2Bwas%2Blost..png

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
At first I liked the idea of each new season having a new protagonist. But at one point I got plain bored of the Adventures Manga. Having a rotating roster may be fresh at first but then it will become just as boring as constantly having Ash.

I think they should make a new character, just like Ash wasn't exactly Red, and have him travel to a few regions on his/her own for a few years. Not too long like in Ash's case, but not to soon like the Adventure/Special Manga protagonists.

Oct 27, 2017
It would probably end up with a similar structures as we had, but with the main character design changing each season.
Maybe with a changing endgame other than the elite four each season, giving something like the Legend of Raikou, but adapted for a season and not for an movie.
MV5BOGM2OWEzMzMtM2ExYi00NGZmLWI5MWEtNzQzYmJkZTI3YjBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3NTQ4MjQ@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
And%2Bnothing%2Bof%2Bvalue%2Bwas%2Blost..png

This crew was MUCH better. It wasn't just a character design swap of Ash and his friends. This made me wish even more they switched up protagonists every season, or at least did what Digimon did and had the older protagonists older and only be side characters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically it would be like chronicles, except jimmy gets a full johto arc. Then new character in hoenn, etc.

Ash's story should have ended with kalos. Let him win that league. Ash in SM is like a totally different character anyway.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It would likely be that the new game protag would be the Ash replacement character that would be used in the show. Going through a new journey.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'd have liked if they did something like Digimon season 2 where the original cast got older and made cameos but were no longer the main focus of the show.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would fail as there wouldn't be a sense of continuity, something that the Pokémon series pushes hard.

There's a reason why they continue to use Ash and Pikachu to this day, they are the face of the Pokémon animé.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem is not Ash, the problem is Pikachu, which is irreplaceable. Unless Pikachu leaves his trainer every season ...

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations are two Pokémon mini-series that are everything I wish the actual anime would be.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have liked if they did something like Digimon season 2 where the original cast got older and made cameos but were no longer the main focus of the show.

That would be cool. A alternate history Pokémon where Ash gets to actually grow up and not be trapped as a child forever would be best for everyone.

And they could do something like the Red battle from Gold and Silver (unless they did already?).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do exactly what they did with Origins and the Promotional Video for B&W2: More mature battles, Pokémon not repeating their names like dummies and more focused and fleshed out storylines.

Oct 27, 2017
It would fail as there wouldn't be a sense of continuity, something that the Pokémon series pushes hard.

There's a reason why they continue to use Ash and Pikachu to this day, they are the face of the Pokémon animé.

This is a terrible baseless reasoning. It's Pokemon. There is a 0% chance it would fail just because they swapped out Ash. The draw is the pokemon, not Ash. No one likes seeing Ash lose the league over and over, and fans made a huge deal about it when it happened in Kalos, and as long as they keep him as the main character that will keep happening

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
1. Who should be the new character?

Gary Oak

2. You should be the main Pokemon for the new hero, can't be starter to avoid the issue of a previous gen starter overshadowing a new in later gen's anime or them abandoning their first Pokemon, cross gen appeal, simple in design for marketing reasons and considered cute and cool?

Umbreon

3. What do you do with Pikachu being the mascot of the series, avoid just repeating Ash's Pikachu?

Umbreon

4. What do you do with Jessie, James and Meowth?

Become competent again like that one time

5. Who should be the companions? New characters, based off the games Gym Leaders?

People along for the ride to witness greatness

6. What should the shows format, genre and plot be about?

Gary Oak beating 12 gyms per area

7. Who should they catch?

All

8. Should Ash appear at all?

Yes, to challenge Gary constantly and lose

Gary was here, Ash is a loser

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the pokemon anime was like Yugioh or Jojo with a new protagonist each time. It'd fix my biggest issue with the protagonists having almost no character outside of the manga.

I do enjoy watching the anime as a massive guilty pleasure, but I'd prefer an anthology instead of resetting Ash every few gens. Its jarring as fuck.

There's already no sense of continuity. Taking Ash in DP where he defeats a Darkrai and a Latios in Semi finals only to then go to Unova and forget how to catch a pokemon is awful. How does he forget this? It makes no sense. If every series continued like it did in Hoenn where he remained somewhat competent and was more of a mentor to a new character, I'd see your point but he regresses as a character almost every other gen now.

Last edited:

MaikuQQ

Jan 16, 2019
Having a female main protagonist as the aspiring pokemon master would be refreshing imo rather than a pretty sidekick performer type. The show has already been a subpar shonen, time to mix up the formula. Keep Team Rocket every season as the glue to the series and maybe have them be more competent without their obsession with Pikachu while still being comedic.

Dec 31, 2018
I think Origin was as close to perfection that the Pokemon anime can come. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be doing adventures, so I'm just hoping for more Origin.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Origin was as close to perfection that the Pokemon anime can come. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be doing adventures, so I'm just hoping for more Origin.
Im baffled they did Generations instead of Origins 2 in Johto. I know a lot of people like it, I hate it. They're 5 minute ads for games that I mostly can't buy in a store.

I'm dying for Origins 2. Give me a Red vs Ethan fight animated.

Dec 31, 2018
Im baffled they did Generations instead of Origins 2 in Johto. I know a lot of people like it, I hate it. They're 5 minute ads for games that I mostly can't buy in a store.

I'm dying for Origins 2. Give me a Red vs Ethan fight animated.
I'm the same. I watched the Generations one where Blue fought the Elite 4, and it was lame. You barely saw any battling.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should do two series: one based on the games with a new cast every gen, and an ongoing series with a more set cast, but an original plotline and stuff, so they won't get held back by the game's scheduling

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Rotating protagonists, but I'd like it if the older protagonists actually had extended roles in the new seasons. I think most series that go with rotating protagonists don't really do enough to connect the different seasons. They can introduce a new hero and his journey and still feature recurring older characters as more than an "once a year" thing.

The problem is not Ash, the problem is Pikachu, which is irreplaceable. Unless Pikachu leaves his trainer every season ...

They could always just give the protagonists a random pikachu.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I would also accept a series that featured an offscreen older Ash recalling an adventure from his youth that led him to finally win a major League. He'd be the narrator, naturally.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Imagine Gold's anime counterpart with a Pichu who evolves.
Rotating protagonists, but I'd like it if the older protagonists actually had extended roles in the new seasons. I think most series that go with rotating protagonists don't really do enough to connect the different seasons. They can introduce a new hero and his journey and still feature recurring older characters as more than an "once a year" thing.

They could always just give the protagonists a random pikachu.
That each season has a different Pikachu but with the same personality as the previous one is much more complex than the fact that Ash always loses.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Just do Pokémon Adventures you cowards.