• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Silverchair was my favorite band in the 90's—their evolution was incredible. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bush...whew—what an amazing time for music in general. I miss that music isn't like this anymore.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Rock was pretty amazing in general from the 70s until the end of the 90s. So many awesome bands coming up with so many unique sounds.

It makes me feel old to think that rock is just not relevant in the way it used to be when I was growing up.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
90's music was an oasis for me after I'd gotten 100% sick of pretty much everything I'd been exposed to growing up in the 00's. ❤

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rock was pretty amazing in general from the 70s until the end of the 90s. So many awesome bands coming up with so many unique sounds.

It makes me feel old to think that rock is just not relevant in the way it used to be when I was growing up.

Early 2000s underground rock was cracking too. In fact, current underground rock right now is pretty gosh darn solid and heavily influenced by late 80s/early 90s alt-rock.

We are actually seeing in real time people reach the age and becoming nostalgic for content that was just OK. I really hope Era is around in the 2040s so I can see the threads about classic 2010's music.

Are all your takes on music off the mark? Two for two, in my experience 😄

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the 90s era alternative. Yes, it was many subgenres lumped together under an umbrella category such as: grunge, britpop, shoegaze, pop punk, funk metal, post-grunge, pop rock, etc... There was a similarity too and just overall vibe I can't quite place. I grew up knowing and hearing quite a bit of it as a kid, but it wasn't until the 00s when I was a teen that I got into it hardcore. Now I'm really nostalgic for 90s alternative. Evwn if I wasn't into it as much in 90s it still gives me nostalgia for the 90s

Man if you'll tolerate this came on the radio the other day and it hit me how absolutely spot on the lyrics are for today's society. It could have been written a month ago and folks would have complained it was too on the nose for how current it actually is.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
It's always surprising to me just how much music from the 90s never left Canada. Music I had always assumed were big everywhere yet only ever made it big here.

www.youtube.com

PLUMTREE - Scott Pilgrim music video

Here is Plumtree's Scott Pilgrim video. This is the song that inspired the NAME of the comic book Scott Pilgrim...which is was made into a movie starring Mic...
www.youtube.com

Pure - Denial

I don't own this song, but people should be allowed to hear it, if there is a problem with copyright let me know....Fun Fact: Vocalist Jordy Birch had a mino...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first band I ever saw live. Was an incredible gig.

www.youtube.com

My Vitriol - Always: Your Way

Always: Your Way from Finelines Album Enjoy My Vitriolxx

Edit technically a naughties band because the album came out in 2001 even though they formed in 1999 which is when i saw them live...

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love me some 90s rock.

One of the dumbest, but coolest things I had back in the day was "Saturday Morning cartoons" done by various alt-rock bands.

The Butthole Surfers covering Underdog

Matthew Sweet - Scooby Doo

Helmet(!) - Gigantor

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
The 90s were a great time for musical exploration, as you started to get the internet to help you so discover bands off the beaten path from radio and MTV. I had the original Music Choice (the cable music thing) where you had to get a separate box to listen and heard a bunch of great stuff.

Some of my contributions to the thread:

Dig - Believe
youtu.be

Believe

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupBelieve · DigDig℗ A Radioactive Records J.V./Geffen Records release; ℗ 1993 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released on: 1993...

The Spinanes - Lines and Lines
youtu.be

Lines and Lines

Provided to YouTube by Merge Media LtdLines and Lines · The SpinanesStrand℗ 2018 Rebecca Gates and Scott Plouf under exclusive license to Merge RecordsReleas...

Melting Hopefuls - Turn On The Turn Off
youtu.be

Melting Hopefuls - Turn On the Turn Off

Track 2 from their 1995 album Viva La Void.

The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
youtu.be

The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen (Official Video)

The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen © 2007 WMG

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I miss music with riffs and guitars and drums and lyrics. lol

I miss bands! I know they are still there but it was fun when it was all the craze. I still listen to post grunge bands because at least I can hear heavy guitars and angst lol

Berserkr

Jul 14, 2020
I have grown up not knowing about Layne Thomas Staley. Don´t make that mistake. I think it is so powerful.

www.youtube.com

Nutshell

Provided to YouTube by ColumbiaNutshell · Alice In ChainsJar Of Flies℗ 1993 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleased on: 1993-11-02Ac...

www.youtube.com

River Of Deceit

Provided to YouTube by ColumbiaRiver Of Deceit · Mad SeasonAbove℗ 1995 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleased on: 1995-03-07Vocal: ...

www.youtube.com

Mad Season - Wake Up (High Quality)

Mad Season - Wake up. Track No. 1 'Above' album (1995).Label: ColumbiaBit rate: 320 Kbps MP3HD version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8vIawOfekLyrics:Wake...

Feb 9, 2018
It was truly the last great decade for rock music, and for popular music in general. I was glued to MTV for most of the early to mid 90s. I'd say a plurality if not an outright majority of the albums I have were from the 90s. It was my generation's music, the music of Generation X. It's one of many things that makes me miss the 90s.

And yeah, it does make me feel old to hear 90s rock being played on classic rock stations. It makes me realize that more time has passed between now and the release of Nirvana's Nevermind than between the release of Nevermind and the appearance of the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. More time has passed between now and the release of Soundgarden's Superunknown than between the release of Superunknown and the original Woodstock festival.

When you're a kid, you think about the time from before you were born and it seems like this unfathomable gulf of time, but when you grow up you realize that it actually wasn't that long ago. I'm 40 now. The moon landing was 11 years before I was born. 11 years ago was 2009, the year Obama took office and the year after the MCU began. World War II ended 35 years before I was born. 35 years ago was 1985, when I started kindergarten. Realizing that makes you realize how short life is, not just your own but those that preceded you, and how many major historical events weren't all that long ago.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

I miss music with riffs and guitars and drums and lyrics. lol

They're still around. Bandcamp. Fuck tons.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
It may not be true, but my favorite story I heard from back then is how some guy from a famous hair metal band saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit and basically said "Whelp, that's the end of us."

Anyone hear this story/know if it is actually true?
I'm pretty sure that was some bands quote in a VH1 show. I just skipped to the end of "When Metal Ruled The World". It wasn't that one. I do remember some quote like that.

Even though it was the right age for it [teenager], I never really cared for the Alternative 90s rock. I was more fond of it then, than I even am now.. My favorites, KISS, Def Leppard, etc. did release some of their most interesting albums during this time though. Whether it was a push from record companies or they had artistic freedom to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been rediscovering some 90s stuff lately after seeing the HUF x Smashing Pumpkins collab.

I really like Partner, a modern band that I think has a 90s Weezer like sound. But isn't bad like present say Weezer lol.

I will say Songs: Ohia got bigger post 90s, but Farewell Transmission (technically released in 2003) remains one of the most haunting songs ever Imo.

Last edited:

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Easily my favourite decade for rock music, and I'm still going back and finding great bands that I somehow missed before now. There's loads of music from the last two decades that a love, including plenty of my favourite artists, but that's the era I go to for rock. Pumpkins, Nirvana, AIC, NIN, Pearl Jam, Hole, Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, Soundgarden, Kyuss, Faith No More, Rage Against the Machine, Garbage, Tool, Marilyn Manson, Nick Cave's best era imo, etc, so much good stuff.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
No mention of the Breeders ?!

They were among my favorite bands back then...Kim Deal is very talented (the pixies were also so good)

It is astonishing how many artists manage to achieve commercial succes while maintening a certain level of artistic integrity and without relying too much on commercial tropes.
But it is also kind of sad to see how few are still relevant today...

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I will say Songs: Ohia got bigger post 90s, but Farewell Transmission (technically released in 2003) remains one of the most haunting songs ever Imo.

Such such such such such a good song, oh my god yes.

I grew up on this shit. Pumpkins were the kings. Soundgarden, Nirvana, NIN, Rage, yes yes. I DGAF if it wasn't really properly alternative, I found all that stuff later on anyway. My youth, my youth!

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Some of the best 90s rock was coming from bands you didn't hear much on the radio. Not trying to be some elitist hipster with this take, but here's some stuff that wasn't huge but is still really good (and if you pay/paid attention to rock you probably know these bands at least).

youtu.be

Dig Me Out

Provided to YouTube by Sub Pop RecordsDig Me Out · Sleater-KinneyDig Me Out℗ 2014 Sub Pop RecordsReleased on: 2014-09-02Mixer: John GoodmansonProducer: John ...

youtu.be

Fugazi - Bed for the Scraping

Fugazi, Red Medicine

youtu.be

Cat Power - Nude as the news (live)

Live . Here's the link. Enjoy! http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PX90XW9A

youtu.be

Here Come the Rome Plows

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesHere Come the Rome Plows · Drive Like JehuYank Crime℗ 2009 SwamiReleased on: 2002-03-12Auto-generated by YouTube.

Just a few selections from my days prowling through used CDs at record stores in the late 2000s.