• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
…she's also cancelled, apparently.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/aly...s-im-person-color-im-immigrant-132736541.html

Alyssa Milano slammed for calling herself 'trans' and 'a person of color' on Twitter

alyssa-milano-20049534-1280x0.jpeg

A tweet of Alyssa Milano's saying the activist and actress is transgender, a person of color, an immigrant and disabled faced backlash from both sides of the aisle.

The debate began when Milano tweeted that she was celebrating her "transgender sisters" on Friday, which was International Women's Day. When someone asked if she's transgender, Milano responded that she is "everything" and encouraged her fans to not be afraid of what they don't know.

The criticism was swift, as people pointed out that Milano is a straight, cisgender, able-bodied white woman who hasn't had the same experiences as people with different backgrounds. One person pointed out that her tweet reflected the "I don't see color" approach, which they called "oppression and erasure."

Milano apologized for offending people in another tweet on Saturday, but added that she's glad her comment "invoked conversation." She explained that her intention was to reflect words from the poet Rumi: "This is a subtle truth. Whatever you love, you are."

Not everyone was happy that her apology included a "but" statement, arguing that it seemed to try to justify the tweet in question.

Danny Pintauro was the better 'Who's The Boss?' kid this whole time and we didn't even know.

More at the link. Sorry if you were offended, BUT... if old.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
This seems like a blown out of proportion thing. She's arguing that she's a human and therefore cares about other humans. Obviously she doesn't literally believe she is a POC that has faced the challenges that a POC would likely face.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a fairly cringey tweet and she needs to take a step back. I don't think people are "cancelling" her over this though.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I often use the phrase "my brothers and sisters" when referring to people in general. I don't, however, claim to be all those things because my experience is vastly different from oppressed minorities.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
I just want to say I thought the 2nd tweet in the op really nailed it. A cisgender white women trying to equate herself with actual marginalized people just seems gross to me. Even if the message had good intentions.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think her intent was fine but it clearly came off badly and is an odd thing to say. Wouldn't roast her over the coals on this, though it does seem like she's digging down on it.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she meant to offend but she clearly didn't think through her response.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Yeah... this is pretty condescending and erasing. Don't just use terms for yourself because you think it'll get you points.

Not the best example, but it reminds me of recently, I was trying to explain my struggle with schizophrenia to someone and they cut me off halfway through the explanation so they could assure me they understood perfectly because they were paranoid sometimes in the past but they got over it.

I doubt she meant any harm, but it was a really dumb thing to say.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
That's just a bad way of saying "I sympathise with all of you and I support you"... It's not like she is really faking she is trans or gay.

Like. That's not backlash worthy.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think her intent is pretty clear in an "we are all human beings" speech, but yeah, definitely not what anyone wants to or should hear

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think she meant that literally or tried to equate herself with other minoritys.

She wrote that as reaction to someone questioning her gender just because she supported transwomen on women's day.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think she meant fairly well with the original post but went about it in a pretty bone-headed manner.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"i'm sorry if you were offended" is the textbook non-apology

gold-star-you-tried-meme.png

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
To be charitable, I think she's more or less saying "We're all people," which is a positive sentiment.

Honestly, humans aren't built for social media. All the dumb shit people say used to be limited to the time and location where they said it, and spread further only through gossip and hearsay. I'm interested to see how we'll adjust to this new reality where all poorly articulated off-the-cuff remarks are immortal. I hope, against all the evidence of history, that we'll find a way to be fair minded and sensible about this.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
That's just a bad way of saying "I sympathise with all of you and I support you"... It's not like she is really faking she is trans or gay.

Like. That's not backlash worthy.

Yup. It's not the best way of showing support, but there's no reason to be angry about it. Just explain the problem and move on.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was very confused from the title wondering how a gay man could be a lesbian, but I guess she's borked her attempt of expressing solidarity.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This is so dumb. She is pretty clearly trying to say she is just like everyone else, if she was any one of those things she deserves to be treated the same as she does now.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why when saying that she supports trans women on women's day would people feel the need to come out with 'but but are you trans?'

Like, I thought trans people wanted support? Or they don't? How do you know any more?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the issue with this? She was basically saying "don't be a bigot" but in a roundabout way. This is a teachable moment, but nothing for her to get "canceled" over.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew what she meant, but she probably should have just said "we're all people"

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Stop getting angry at everything, especially things that aren't worth getting angry about, man. Figure of speech, do you not understand it?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can fill you in. Trans people still want, and deserve support.
That's what I would have thought. So why come all hostile to somebody with a platform offering said support?

Edit: Tbf I just clicked on the profile of the person asking if she was trans and it's some dude with lots of memes about keeping 'snowflakes at bay' etc.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Poorly thought out response; she probably shouldn't have responded to the dickbag Trumper who atted her anyway.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I would have thought. So why come all hostile to somebody with a platform offering said support?
Well what you referenced was a single person asking a question that doesn't speak for all trans individuals. I also don't speak for that person so I can't say for sure why that question was asked.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why when saying that she supports trans women on women's day would people feel the need to come out with 'but but are you trans?'

Like, I thought trans people wanted support? Or they don't? How do you know any more?
The person that asked that isn't trans. In fact a lot of trans people were giving him shit for that tweet.

Then Alyssa followed up with that other tweet which is one of the worst ways to say you support people.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think she meant well and the response of, "Are you transgender?" just sucked away any positivity from it. Don't think it was necessary.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person that asked that isn't trans. In fact a lot of trans people were giving him shit for that tweet.

Then Alyssa followed up with that other tweet which is one of the worst ways to say you support people.
It just strikes me as her saying 'we're all people' kind of thing. Not the best way of saying so, but I think she meant well.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
One person pointed out that her tweet reflected the "I don't see color" approach, which they called "oppression and erasure."

Her intentions were fine, but yeah, "I don't see color" responses are never good when discussing social/ethnic minority issues. A simple "I don't need to be LGBTQ to respect and celebrate them" tweet would have worked and would have been less words to type.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Looks like she got baited into saying something stupid by that Kirk person.

You don't need to be transgender to support transgender rights and that is what her response to him should have been.