• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's be perfectly clear. Speaking as a black man, if you think you are doing me a favor by declaring yourself an ally and then turning tail when you get challenged, nobody wanted your punk ass in the room anyways. Because what work were you going to do in the first place?

well said

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Exactly, I've known the struggle since my childhood and I know which battles to pick.
Whelp. You're not the first gay dude to think they know what's best for all minorities and you sure as fuck all won't be the last 🤷‍♂️

Are you trying to guilt trip me into thinking what she did was wrong and denounce it?

Because I don't, it is just a sentence that would still have the same meaning if the construction of it was changed. I don't believe we should criticise allies over something like this.
Dude you suck at this. I'm not telling you that you should feel guilty, I'm saying you should listen to other people. Again: this isn't about whether YOU think that what she said was wrong.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But, you just said that it wasn't reply heavy because you were scared of voicing your opinion out of fear that someone would misinterpret what you said and correct you in some way.

And the truth of the matter is, people on this forum largely do not care about trans issues. I've been here since the site was up, and I've been in almost all of them, and people only truly care when they get a chance to say how much they aren't attracted to trans people or talk about how they don't like trans people in some way. We have multiple threads every day about something dumb that Trump says, and they'll go for pages and pages despite it being just as easy to condemn what he's saying.

We even had a topic on this a while back about why people are so apathetic when these threads are up, and the prevailing opinion was "I don't know anyone who is trans" or "This doesn't affect me". There's nothing wrong with those opinions, but we need to stop pretending that there's some militant trans cabal that's secretly watching every thread waiting for you to slip up and tear into you. We're people and we have bad days for sure, but we're just looking for support to outweigh the mountain of shit news out there and the extra shit threads that pop up from time to time.

And if you truly, truly, feel that trans users on this site feeling like people don't care about the serious issues that we face is driving away allies, then I don't know what to tell you. We have the most experience with this, and it's something that quite a few people in the TransERA community have voiced. We just want people to care about the issues we face because it's never going to get better otherwise, and telling us that wanting that is driving you away is disheartening.

It's the truth though. We all make mistakes, and allies aren't any different. You have to be prepared for the fact that you might not know everything that you thought you did, or you might say something harmful. People might get frustrated or lash out, but being a good ally is recognizing where that's coming from and doing your best to improve.
In regards to your first paragraph, that's not what I said. I meant that most people didn't reply because, as it was pointed out in that thread, there really wasn't much to say besides "Fuck Trump." Yet a whole bunch of people started accusing the forum of not caring about trans issues. That's not going to win anybody any allies, is what I'm saying.

As for the rest... well, you've seen how this thread has gone since I made that post.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No one is saying this, but you're just proving my point. Who is going to want to fight for a cause where you not only catch bullets from the opposition, but friendly fire too?
Catching bullets like being critiqued on the wording of a tweet while the other side is the one shooting. Lul

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to your first paragraph, that's not what I said. I meant that most people didn't reply because, as it was pointed out in that thread, there really wasn't much to say besides "Fuck Trump." Yet a whole bunch of people started accusing the forum of not caring about trans issues. That's not going to win anybody any allies, is what I'm saying.

As for the rest... well, you've seen how this thread has gone since I made that post.

The "whole bunch of people accusing the forum of not caring about trans issues" from what I recall were largely the trans users on this site. And it's not about a single thread. Like I said, it's just a random thread to you, but these threads are about our lives, so we notice them and we take them seriously. If you want to counteract that feeling that the trans community here feels, then you could always show support in literally any way.

I'm not even sure what to say to you at this point though. It doesn't matter how many people try to meet you where you are, a single person you don't like responding to you is enough for you to no longer advocate for minorities in any way and dismiss what the rest are saying.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There are people in this very thread saying she was "never really an ally", I can only assume a decent percentage of people on Twitter are saying the same or worse. If I'm an activist for 30 years and someone says that to me over a tweet, I'd be fucking furious. The idea that she's not entitled to be furious because she's white and rich or whatever doesn't make any sense, she's still a person.

Sure, maybe most of the people reacting to the tweet are being rational (though I kind of doubt that), but even if its just 15% of the responses straight up demonizing her, that's enough to make anyone feel alienated. The most vocal ones drown out the rest.
Her apology is doing her no favors, it coming across as minorities needing to be grateful for her specifically.

Again, the original answer was an L all of its own regardless of its intent, because it's such a meandering response to a simple question. It's weird and dismissive.

That ability to be critical of the statement is now being lost in the shuffle and people are ironically being lumped in with however many people are actually trying to cancel her or whatever without "regard for intent"(the real number of people doing this doesn't matter, obviously.)

She had a second chance and simply made it far worse, so yeah no wonder she's getting some side-eye.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying this, but you're just proving my point. Who is going to want to fight for a cause where you not only catch bullets from the opposition, but friendly fire too?

You've already said that nobody will be on our side if we keep saying it. And guess what, we're going to keep saying it.

So what conclusion would you like for me to take away from your posts that nobody will be on our side and we'll be all alone?

Do you think we'll fail without you? Or people like you?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"I'm not saying you won't have any allies left, I'm just saying you won't have any allies left"

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white liberal. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner or even the white moderate, but the white liberal, who is more devoted to "self gratification" than to justice; who prefers to peace with them in charge than to be a supporter of the peace if they can't take credit for it; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek; so can you please cut me some slack for my ignorance? After everything I done for you?"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of togetherness and who constantly advises the Negro to teach the ignoramus and then get upset when it's aimed at their ignorance. Shallow understanding and self righteousness from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After reading this thread I feel like I shouldn't even bother greeting someone.

"Hello"
"The hell is that supposed to mean?"

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Hello"
giphy.gif

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There's been more outrage from Milano and people who think she didn't mess up at all than the people who think her wording needs work. Really makes you think

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Some people here just stirring shit up for literally no reason. Bored on a Tuesday I guess.

Truly there is no greater victim than the fragile ally.

Bruh, if this is all it takes for you people to turn tail, then we don't want you. You were never on our side to begin with.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Poor choice of words. Not a great apology either. Ppl really need to think before they post stupid shit on Twitter. Happens way too often

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Truly there is no greater victim than the fragile ally.

Bruh, if this is all it takes for you people to turn tail, then we don't want you. You were never on our side to begin with.

I don't know who you are, you don't know who I am, and I never said shit about "turning tail". I said people here are stirring shit up for no reason, which they are.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

"Hello"

Pretty much. Some people here just stirring shit up for literally no reason. Bored on a Tuesday I guess.

Trans people are attacked, harassed, and killed more than any other demographic.

Stop being punks thinking that a few people being snippy towards on Internet is the end of the world

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder,

Are some people allies because it makes themselves feel good?

And when it stops making themselves feel good they lash out?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I'm not convinced that criticizing Milano here has anything to do with the election of Trump. Can you elaborate?

More of a reply to the guy saying no need for cowards. I say get us whatever we can to get a better government. Afterwards we can start fixing everything. However, im a little bias to the situation considering my family are all immigrants and Trump has already screwed my family over more then once.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people flocking here to say everything is out of proportion is absolutely out of proportion.

I don't think anyone was mad at her initial remarks. There was no "outrage culture" at all. What I see from the replies is just good arguments against her wording. And rightfully so. But then her apology came, and she trying to play the victim just rubs me completely the wrong way, as if she is expecting gratitude from the people trying to correct her from her own ignorance, instead of wanting to learn from them, the very people that have to deal with and have to live everyday and experience all the shortcomings attached to belonging to one of the minority groups mentioned.

It is good to have allies, I don't think anyone is against that. But allies should listen and not try and be the centre of the conversation.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp. You're not the first gay dude to think they know what's best for all minorities and you sure as fuck all won't be the last 🤷‍♂️

Dude you suck at this. I'm not telling you that you should feel guilty, I'm saying you should listen to other people. Again: this isn't about whether YOU think that what she said was wrong.

What the hell is this reply?

I have read the whole thread, I have read responses she has gotten. I just don't think this backlash is warranted or productive given the context and her history, am I allowed to have that opinion? You can disagree, I was just giving my perspective on it as a minority.

Go ahead and file me under "minority but a shitty one so his experience doesn't count". You did that already with your first reply when you assumed I got no fight.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people flocking here to say everything is out of proportion is absolutely out of proportion.

I don't think anyone was mad at her initial remarks. There was no "outrage culture" at all. What I see from the replies is just good arguments against her wording. And rightfully so. But then her apology came, and she trying to play the victim just rubs me completely the wrong way, as if she is expecting gratitude from the people trying to correct her from her own ignorance, instead of wanting to learn from them, the very people that have to deal with and have to live everyday and experience all the shortcomings attached to belonging to one of the minority groups mentioned.

It is good to have allies, I don't think anyone is against that. But allies should listen and not try and be the centre of the conversation.
It should be a two way street. One person shouldn't just have to listen and accept everything that is said. Also, the entire conversation is about her miswording a tweet, so of course she is the center of this conversation.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be a two way street. One person shouldn't just have to listen and accept everything that is said. Also, the entire conversation is about her miswording a tweet, so of course she is the center of this conversation.

Allies should listen, though. That's kind of the whole point being one.

When criticized for her words all she had to do was say "yeah my bad, I misspoke." Instead she started whining about how she did so much good but we still had the audacity to hold her accountable for things she willingly said.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Allies should listen, though. That's kind of the whole point being one.

When criticized for her words all she had to do was say "yeah my bad, I misspoke." Instead she started whining about how she did so much good but we still had the audacity to hold her accountable for things she willingly said.
Yes but there is a difference between listening to someone and agreeing with everything they say. I can listen to you and still not have you change my opinion on something. You might, you might not. This has to be a two way street though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but there is a difference between listening to someone and agreeing with everything they say. I can listen to you and still not have you change my opinion on something. You might, you might not. This has to be a two way street though.

I'm trying to find the right way to put this, but allies are, by and large, never in a position of authority in these matters, and it's for the best if they listen and embolden queer voices. Milano here tried saying something reasonably well intentioned (we're all people and in this together) and when criticized for her simplistic language, doubled down on how victimized she was. She's just flat wrong to have pursued this course of action.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dunno, man... I'm a minority, and I don't like being spoken for. Mostly because I've been speaking myself since forever, so I'd rather be listened. For example, I'm not black, but consider myself an ally. I don't assume I'm talking on behalf of black people when I talk about racism, but I will support their view when presented with it, and would stand up for racist whenever I can. However, if in my eagerness to help I crossed a boundary, and a black person told me what I'm doing is not okay, I don't think bragging about how much time I've have been an ally for, and how much I've spent trying to help the community is the right way to go. It is not like being an ally is hard if you are white, straight, cisgender, and rich. It is pretty much just being a decent human being, and that, on my view, should be the default. The basic standard. Not something you should get praised for. Certainly not something that gives you the right to ignore the people trying to teach you something, and instead play the victim.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

?????

How do you engage in a "two way street" conversation with a minority you just offended and it's correcting you?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
More of a reply to the guy saying no need for cowards. I say get us whatever we can to get a better government. Afterwards we can start fixing everything. However, im a little bias to the situation considering my family are all immigrants and Trump has already screwed my family over more then once.
The black woman who made that statement is here.

I vote Democrat with a diligent ferocity, even if it means helping people who think me not being impressed with Milano's dumb tweets is akin to handing Trump 2020 (hint: that will be white people's fault, not mine).

Which is apparently the difference between me and many others here. When push comes to shove, I don't bend. I'm not about to sacrifice my principles for online fuckery.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Why is she canceled? Because she tweeted something silly? That cancels out her thousands of hours of humanitarian work? And you know her heart was in the right place.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to find the right way to put this, but allies are, by and large, never in a position of authority in these matters, and it's for the best if they listen and embolden queer voices. Milano here tried saying something reasonably well intentioned (we're all people and in this together) and when criticized for her simplistic language, doubled down on how victimized she was. She's just flat wrong to have pursued this course of action.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree on this topic. I do get what you're saying though.

Dunno, man... I'm a minority, and I don't like being spoken for. Mostly because I've been speaking myself since forever, so I'd rather be listened. For example, I'm not black, but consider myself an ally. I don't assume I'm talking on behalf of black people when I talk about racism, but I will support their view when presented with it, and would stand up for racist whenever I can. However, if in my eagerness to help I crossed a boundary, and a black person told me what I'm doing is not okay, I don't think bragging about how much time I've have been an ally for, and how much I've spent trying to help the community is the right way to go. It is not like being an ally is hard if you are white, straight, cisgender, and rich. It is pretty much just being a decent human being, and that, on my view, should be the default. The basic standard. Not something you should get praised for. Certainly not something that gives you the right to ignore the people trying to teach you something, and instead play the victim.
I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but just as you don't like being spoken for, most others don't either. Two minorities can tell me two completely different things about the same topic. I can listen to both of them but ultimately I have a mind of my own and will express how I feel with the information I have given to me. I can't just listen to people say and completely ignore all of my own thoughts and/or other people's input. It's important to listen, but also important to think for yourself as well.

?????

How do you engage in a "two way street" conversation with a minority you just offended and it's correcting you?
Well I wouldn't always use the term 'correcting' here. This is kind of subjective since many people were not offended by what she said and saw it as a positive thing. That's why the conversation can't always be "Listen to me because I'm right and you're wrong"

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Renna Hazel you are not wrong. The whole point of this is that for it to be a two-way conversation she should listen first. It is clear from her non-apology that she isn't.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Renna Hazel you are not wrong. The whole point of this is that for it to be a two-way conversation she should listen first. It is clear from her non-apology that she isn't.
I do feel like her first response was a genuine apology

"I'm glad this tweet invoked conversation. I'm so sorry it offended some. I see you and hear you. But just a reminder, empathy is not a bad thing. Nuance is important and literal interpretation is not always intended. And I can identify with and not identify as. Both are powerful."

I definitely took that as an apology but also an explanation to express what her intent was. The people that responded to her seemed to take her literally when it wasn't intended to be that way. You can apologize for offending someone and elaborate on what your intent was if they mistook it. People continued to take what she said literally after that, which is why I said it needs to be a two way street.

With that said, I'm not a fan of her following response, that seemed more out of anger/frustration and isn't the best way to go about it.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018

"Hello"
I've noticed a trend that whenever incidents like this happen that involve transphobia, there's always a crowd of people that whip out the "political madness gone mad" rhetoric. Especially in Gaming Forum, but also here. I get the subtext, and you aren't as slick as you think you are.

Stuff like saying everyone's overreacting, when it's a classic example of white feminism playing the victim whenever black people or trans people call them out for trying to represent them. It was a bad post and a worse apology. Abandoning trans people the second they started calling her out is a classic faux ally move. But you don't care about what those uppity transes have to say, you have The Office gifs to use.