• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Golddiger?

• Yes

Votes: 1,070 75.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • Opportunist

Votes: 176 12.4%
  • Who cares, enjoy...

Votes: 164 11.5%

• Total voters

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If it has only been a month, give it a chance for something to grow if you think there could possibly be something in the future. A really nice, good looking significant other who is wealthy and wants you to travel with them is something you should at least see if it amounts to anything. But if your are absolutely sure you won't fall for the guy, it is a crap thing to lead him on like that.

Fuzzery

Oct 25, 2017
If he wants you to give him a chance, that's fine, that's not really taking advantage of him IMO, since he's willingly giving you gifts to entice you.

But, it'd be unfair to misrepresent your feelings to him (by telling him you like him more than you actually do, in order to get more gifts), and it's probably best to call it off if after a month or two more, if you don't develop any sort of feelings or deeper connection by then.

Nov 17, 2017
If you play your cards right, you could get him to gift you a beamer projector, a laptop, a sound system, a microwave and a beautiful expensive lamp.
XS5LK.gif

Hmm...I'm on the opposite end here.

I've been talking to a girl for a bit and I spent a bit on her since I'm "richer"...I mean not by much but she's a waitress, I'm a manager (different job) so I spent a bit on her to make her meet ends. Some money for rent, like 50$, buying drinks, some money to get her car fixed.

Now she's asking for a 200$ purse and seems upset that I reconsidered.

I feel bad because I feel I sort of pushed her to expect this by spending on her, but I kind of feel upset and used now.

BUT OP I got to be honest if I was on the other side I would probably milk it for what it's worth. If the guy is doing it on his own accord without you asking don't feel bad.
Yeah, I wouldn't be helping pay the rent or car repairs of a person I'm just "talking to." Buy drinks, sure, but you definitely set up the expectation that you were gonna be her extra wallet. Not that it means she should be expecting $200 gifts from you but still.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
Yes its opportunistic, yes its gold digging and I could make a fetching afghan from the red flags between the both of you.

Sugar Baby/Daddy relationships are fine if the intention is clear. But everything you've explained shows that he is being more lead on than you think. Hoping love could grow one day when you've made it 100% crystal that you wouldn't give him a second glace after a week has a pretty low chance of success. You're telling us one thing and it doesn't match at all with what you've told this guy. But being asked after a MONTH of seeing him a few times to root up your life and move? I don't care how nice his Mariah falsetto is you don't know him. At all.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🏊‍♀️🥛🍯

If you wouldn't be there for any other reason you are working that pickaxe hard.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call you a golddigger but if you find him interesting give him a chance. Gve it a month or two and if it still feels off then break it off. If you don't break it off then you're officially a golddigger.

Oct 27, 2017
He knows about my feelings. I told him I'm more of an oven instead of a microwave. It takes a while before I fall in love.
But he want to strenghten the bond and the relationship. He's doing his best.

I think if you're being straight with him then there's not really any harm done. I'd say give it two or three months and if you're not warming up to him or developing any feelings then it's probably time to back off and admit it's going nowhere. And whatever you do, don't move in with him yet!

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
You are basically Melania Trump. If you are fine with being this guy's trophy spouse then go for it. Better stay in shape and healthy so you'll outlive him at least.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
He wants me to eventually stop with working and hang out with him and travel. Basically retire. And he wants me to move to his place. He's planning on buying a house and wants my creative input. ( He just moved from Sweden to the Netherlands)

Doesn't seem like anyone else caught it but this seems like a major red flag. I can't know for sure of course but this is a common tactic for predators and abusers who want to ensure their partner is entirely codependent on them. If things don't end up working out for whatever reason, what would you be left with? No friends or family nearby, no career to fall back on? Why would he possibly want that for you?

Oct 30, 2017
If he didn't have money, you would have dropped him like a bad habit.

It's very clear why you are still maintaining this relationship. And, sadly, it's probably clear to the other guy but he's playing dumb because he appreciates the companionship.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Well, I'll do my best to like him more. Because I really do like him. He would be an amazing friend.

Romantically I'm not there yet. It's just one month. But I'm going to try.

That still feels like you are wasting his time AND money, because right now you dont feel anything and you cant even be sure to feel something in 6 months or 1 year. From your OP everything points to people reading that thread that most likely nothing will happen in terms of feelings and you even wrote yourself you would ignore him if it wasnt for the money.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Be honest, if he doesn't mind and wants company knowing there might not be a future, then congrats on the gifts!

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, but he's also trying to buy you basically. So, as long as you don't lead him on too much more (like don't go to Paris), and are pretty sure he isn't going to go psycho...ya know what, scratch that, just stop and call it all off..so much can go wrong here.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I could be with a guy like that, provided he is a top because then would be so much easier to mask my disinterest. if he is a bottom however it would be a dreadful bore having to please someone I'm not attracted to.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be careful to let money and luxury run your decisions. Especially when it comes to relationships.
But i realize many people are drawn to just that.

Since you're asking, i think you have issues with it yourself though.
I think you want more in a relationship.

OP
OP

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I would ignore him because I'm not ready for a relationship yet. I'm having my slutty era where I'm having sex with sometimes three different people a week.

If you have these fases, high chance is that you meet someone like him.

I'm still not ready for a relationship. But maybe he can change that. And calm me a bit down lol

Oct 29, 2017
Dude is knowingly paying you for a chance you come around on him. You run the risk of missing out on someone else if things don't get better with him. Also, the longer it goes the more desperate he may become if it is not working.

Yolo.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
just make sure he doesn't strangle you in your sleep or anything lol.

maybe ive watched too many movies but these sent up instant red flags for me:

One week after we dated, the guy confessed that he's very wealthy. I'm sure he noticed me ghosting him a little bit, so he played that card.
And then he started sending me expensive gifts. I got expensive wireless headphones and a brand new laptop because I complained about my laptop when he came to my place. He remembered about that.
Yeah, and he already told me where he wants to live. And that's very far away from my family and friends.

But leaving my comfort zone and starting something new sounds exciting.

I also think he's kinda lonely. Bu he respects my drive an the things I've achieved in my life. That impressed him as well. He knows I don't need him financially.

seems to me like the dude feels like he can buy your love with money. and if in a few months you end up not reciprocating, I'd be afraid of things going south.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would say opportunist because you weren't *looking* for this,it just happened to fall into your lap.

i see a golddigger as someone who actively hunts wealthy suitors.

it's pretty scummy but not golddigger status.