• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the major in Spanish/experience maybe not translating to the industry is the only non douchey reason..and this is in the video games forum ;)

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think it may be wrong to judge someones resume based on their perceived social standing (even if you have reason, which trust me, you do.)

But shes a spanish major looking for work in a completely unrelated field with no work experience, you're completely in the right to judge her off that, and you should. She doesnt qualify at all.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think it may be wrong to judge someones resume based on their perceived social standing (even if you have reason, which trust me, you do.)

But shes a spanish major looking for work in a completely unrelated field with no work experience, you're completely in the right to judge her off that, and you should. She doesnt qualify at all.

This is exactly what I wanted to say as well.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rich people aren't inherently evil.

Wouldn't give any bonus points for her spanish degree though. That was a poor choice if she intended to use the degree to become employed.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
You sound like a right dick. Just get her an interview or trial and she might surprise you. Everyone deserves a chance!

Nov 6, 2017
Do you have to give her an interview? No. Are you an ass if you just delete it? Kinda. You promised you would see what you could do to help this young woman and if you ignore her email, you're not holding up your end of the agreement. If she is not qualified per her resume to work in the industry, reach out to her and let her know. Tell her what you look for in a resume and what she might have to do to become a better fit for the industry. But offering a hand and then deciding that the person is too privileged to deserve your help is a crappy move.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I 100% understand where you're coming from - as someone who worked 40+ hours a week in shitty fast food and retail jobs from my freshman year in HS and all the way through college, I'm empathize. Nothing sucked more than getting looked over after graduating because I had no internships because I needed to make my $8/hr making pizzas.

That said, when someone reaches out to me for help - assuming they are polite and the ask is genuine - if it's not too much trouble for myself, I ALWAYS help. Always. The job market is tough, and we all need some help at one point or another. I like to think good karma will come back around.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just forward it to HR and tell them she was recommended by a friend. Let them deal with it from there. But yes all your assumptions are rude although perhaps not unfounded

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like she is unqualified and will basically take anything and make up any excuse to get it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is for an internship, yes? You're not paying her? So get her the interview and if she gets it then you can console yourself with the fact that she is being exploited. If you really must hate on people you've never met.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not give her an interview or a trial?

It's a bit harsh to discount someone just because they're rich.

If you can buy/rent a 2m house you are probably set for life anyway and wouldn't even need to work I imagine. =/
I would probably look into if somebody else needs the job more then she does.

But give her an interview and look what kind of person she is and how she would fit. Just sending it back without looking at it isn't really polite in my opinion.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If she's not an ideal candidate (she majored in Spanish, she has no work experience, and rather than being a qualified applicant she's just a friend of an acquaintance) just reply to her e-mail in a day or two that you've moved forward in the interview process with other candidates, thanking her for her time.

If you still think she could be a good fit regardless of her lack of experience (that it's enough for her to have the passion and charisma for the job) bring her in for an interview.

ChasePettit

Oct 27, 2017
This should be in off-topic, and yes, you seem to largely be basing your decision on your own assumptions about her based on her social standing, and that does seem like an incredibly unfair thing to do. However, depending on the position, the issues with her degree and experience may be legitimate reasons to not consider her.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If she doesn't have the skills or experience then there's no obligation to hire her.

But your focus on her financial status and perceived silver spoon is extremely dickish, and in some countries, illegal. If you can't separate personal grievances from your work, you shouldn't be involved in the hiring process.

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly? You sound like a dicklord. I hope she keeps at it and finds something better. Jesus fucking Christ dude.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I mean, she is unqualified. That is clear.

But yeah, you're being a bit of a dick for making it about something unrelated to her education/work experience. Social standing is not a good reason to deny someone employment.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
If you've got your company's best interests in mind, you should be looking for the best people to work there. Is this girl going to make your company better? Then focus on that. Her money isn't (necessarily) going to make her a bad worker.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Would it hurt to do an interview? I've interviewed candidates just to try them out even if I knew they weren't the best qualified for the position. It gives experience in the interview process and nothing is saying you have to hire her. Unless you are just picking interview candidates and someone else is making those decisions.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have a little pre-interview interview with her? Over the phone would be enough.

To make sure she really wants this Job and isn't just fishing for something she'll drop as soon as a "better" deal comes around.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no somebody had an easier life, let's make them pay for it because they can't help who they're born into.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Should be EtcetEra, but id give her an interview at least. Rich doesnt mean she is a bad or undeserving person. You won't know until you do know if that makes any sense.

Also i have always hated the excuse of not giving young people a job because they have no experience. They wont have experience until somebody gives them a chance.

Not trying to judge you, but you should give people a chance before making a judgement on them man.

haozz

Nov 7, 2017
What technical skills does the internship require such that the Spanish major disqualifies her from it?

Why does this woman have no work experience? What was she doing with her summers in college? Why is she asking for an internship when she should be looking for a job?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Can she be trained for the job she's applying for after she's hired? Is there another job at your company she can be trained to perform?

Would your company benefit from a multilingual applicant who speaks perfect English and Spanish?

These are the only two questions that seem meaningful to me.

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to give her an interview? No. Are you an ass if you just delete it? Kinda. You promised you would see what you could do to help this young woman and if you ignore her email, you're not holding up your end of the agreement. If she is not qualified per her resume to work in the industry, reach out to her and let her know. Tell her what you look for in a resume and what she might have to do to become a better fit for the industry. But offering a hand and then deciding that the person is too privileged to deserve your help is a crappy move.

Ok to clarify I am not going to just delete and ignore. I would come up with a polite response to say she is not the right fit or will send it to HR and let them decide.

Oct 25, 2017
In this case, her work related feature set is unqualified for the job. Everything else about her background shouldn't matter rich or not. You should base your decision on that.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah totally dickish. You should've gotten this background before you told her you would help. Now that you've told her you would help it seems really shitty to go back on that.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yeah you sound like a complete dick, OP. But you do you.
Yeah, this. Wtf does her money have to do with it? Is it company policy to pore over how much not only her college tuition was, but her high school tuition? And did you honestly look up where she lived and how much it cost?? (edit: ok Zillow, sure, but you still should really put all this aside. See how she fares in an interview, not what her lifetime receipts look like)

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, you're being a total douche if you're already taking the opportunity away from her based on your own stupid assumptions. AT LEAST give her an interview.

And AT LEAST put this in the appropriate forum.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
- She majored in Spanish. I am not a STEM only person and see tremendous value in Liberal Arts degrees but what does this major provide in a real world situation?
- She has no work experience. As a student athlete she says most of her time was occupied with that. I understand that and had friends who had pretty bare bones resumes post grad too but it's still not ideal.

I see what you're saying here...

- the university she went to is a $62K a year liberal arts school that seems highly pretentious.
- She went to high school at a $40k a year prep school.
- her address on her resume has her living at a $2.0M house that went for rent 5 months ago and is $6k a month. I thought maybe this could be her parents house but given the timing I'm imagining her parents and friends parents picked this up for her and her friends to live in post grad. (And I'm not stalking I literally google mapped to see how close she is to our office and first result is a Zillow posting)

This is some pretty big ass hole shit right here. Her parents must have money, so fuck her? I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would rather not be judged based on their parents.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds more like you are jealous of the life, to be quite honest.

Out of respect for your friend from college, just forward her resume to HR with a positive word since you said she was polite and sounded OK on the phone.

The music and the sport industries need more women working behind the scene

Don't block her from a getting a job because she was born into wealth.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If she's unqualified she's unqualified.

Don't ignore it though. Just let her know you don't have a position for her and don't be a dick about it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If she's unqialified then by all means ignore it. But what you're judging just sounds like a bitter person mad someone else was/is better off than you. That is inherently dickish. You don't know anything about her but you're making it personal.

My other issue is dont say you will try and help someone out if it's condirional on how you feel. Either say no, or put in a solid shot at helping. Sometimes people just need a shot, if you can't be bothered to genuunely give it don't position yourself as a nice caring friend. Just say you dont know higher ups enough to make a play at pushing resumes through.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So an acquaintance of mine from graduate school reached out to me about a friend of his looking for a job out of undergrad. I said put her in contact with me via email and I'll see what I can do, happy to help, blah, blah, blah.

A day later girl reaches out to me, very polite, explains she graduated from College 6 months ago, hasn't been able to find anything in what she's really passionate about (sports marketing as she was a student athlete) and wanted to reach out to me given an internship in music entertainment (as our company operates in both sports and music). I'm very close to the team for the internship and know HR very well too so I could definitely get her in the room but I started psychoanalyzing her resume...

- She majored in Spanish. I am not a STEM only person and see tremendous value in Liberal Arts degrees but what does this major provide in a real world situation?
- She has no work experience. As a student athlete she says most of her time was occupied with that. I understand that and had friends who had pretty bare bones resumes post grad too but it's still not ideal.

Then I start looking a bit more into her background...

- the university she went to is a $62K a year liberal arts school that seems highly pretentious.
- She went to high school at a $40k a year prep school.
- her address on her resume has her living at a $2.0M house that went for rent 5 months ago and is $6k a month. I thought maybe this could be her parents house but given the timing I'm imagining her parents and friends parents picked this up for her and her friends to live in post grad. (And I'm not stalking I literally google mapped to see how close she is to our office and first result is a Zillow posting)

As someone who has worked hard since my undergrad 8 years ago and didn't come from a complete silver spoon in my mouth, is it wrong for me to judge resumes based off things like this? In the back of my head I'm thinking this girl has basically had her life given to her and now I'm being asked to assist in getting her an internship she obviously doesn't deserve.

I'm not afraid to just delete the email and be done with it but my bigger question is when it comes to analyzing resumes am I an asshole for holding judgemental standards like this against a persons profile? Is it fair to ignore people who come from a 1% background even if they didn't do anything to be labeled as such?

You literally repulse me. You're deciding to not even give this girl an interview just because she's richer and had an easier life than you.

Repulsive.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of your assumptions, you don't really know anything about her life or experiences. You would be wrong to discard her imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.