• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Hey guys. Need a paranoia check.

I don't want to go into details but last fall my wife had an affair. She didn't hide it from me which in a way made the whole thing worse.

In December I asked her to stop seeing him. She agreed but begged me to permit them to stay friends. I agreed because we were going through some really hard times related to my chronic pain issues, and he knew what it was like to have a spouse with chronic health issues. But I never intended to put up with that situation forever.

In March, things were starting to get better and I wanted us to try having a fresh start. So did she. But as a part of this, I asked her to stop talking to this guy. The whole thing made me so uncomfortable. She wasn't happy about it but I was ready to walk out if she kept talking to him, so she agreed.

Now, here is the possible paranoia part. A few days ago I had to use her phone while we were in the car together. The very next day, she changed all of the names of all of her contacts to fake names. I didn't think anything of this until today, when she was out of the house for a long time and I got to wondering if she might still be talking to him. One thought led to another and now I am wondering if this is why she changed all the names on her phone. What do you think era? Am I being too paranoid?

Bonus follow-up question, is it unreasonable of me to ask her to stop talking to this guy?

Edit: clarification. My wife came to me to ask if she could do this and I told her it was okay because of what we were going through at the time.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
First thing, when your partner cheats on you with someone, them asking to stay friends with that person afterwards is a BIG FUCKING NO.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. That's shady as hell for her to change to fakenames so yeah I def get why you're concerned especially since she cheated on you.
2. It's not unreasonable at all. If someone cheated on me I wouldn't want them hanging out with the person who cheated if we're gonna somehow make it work.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
She asks you if she can remain friends with the GUY SHE WAS CHEATING WITH? Jesus, what's wrong with you, dump her ass immediately. Whether or not you're "paranoid" isn't even important in this context.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh your wife already had the affair so anything new regarding this that causes you to worry I don't think is you just being overly paranoid. And what she's doing now is definitely suspect.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
She asks you if she can remain friends with the GUY SHE WAS CHEATING WITH? Jesus, what's wrong with you, dump her ass immediately. Whether or not you're "paranoid" isn't even important in this context.

It is actually important to me. She came to me to ask if she could do this and because of what we were going through at the time I said it was okay.

But if she is lying to me now, yeah it is a big deal.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Not being unreasonable at all.

Her changing the names in her phone to fake names is a red flag.

I think you need to talk with her.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Nah that's definitely weird. I can't Imagine anyone changing the names in their phone for no reason.

But you were being too nice by allowing them to stay friends. That's the last thing you wanna do.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She was having an affair, and didn't really care if you knew or not. THEN asked you if they could keep seeing each other as friends?

Get the hell out of there.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
She cheated and wanted to stay friends with the guy? You are a better man than me. I'd consult a divorce attorney.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
It is actually important to me. She came to me to ask if she could do this and because of what we were going through at the time I said it was okay.

Now I understand a bit better, because the backstory didn't come through in your original post. I mean, even if this was initially an agreement between both of you, it's unfortunately not out of the question that she might still be attracted to a man she's been intimate with. So your suspicions are warranted, from my perspective.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

If she cheated on you with this person already, the temptation is always going to be there. When your partner wants to regain your trust, that's the first red line that has to be drawn.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
to answer your questions, not it's no unreasonable what you're asking and yes that's bit shady on her.

On a separate note, I'm sorry OP, feels like this relationship has run its course even tho you were really trying to keep it together.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
My man I don't know how to put this but you are second priority if she still wants to be friends with the guy. I hope there are no kids in the middle of shit like this.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
She's almost certainly still cheating on you with him and has been probably the entire time. I'm sorry man but you need to cut the cord. Your mental health will improve dramatically once you realize what you already know.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So many red flags her. Ignoring everything else why would a spouse ever change the names in their phone to fake names unless In order to hide something?

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious She's been seeing him nonstop since Dec sorry man :(

No doubt others too, hence the fake names, there is no paranoia here dude

You'll see the signs of a continuous cheater, she may put all the blame on you before long if she hasn't already and make you believe it's your fault, thats what cheaters do that and get angry at you probably.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Just to clear some things up for myself:

She openly cheated on you with another guy whom was sympathetic to what you were going through but they both continued the affair openly in front of you? You both want a fresh start, but she wants to be friends with the dude whom she had an affair with and you don't, then she changed the names to her contacts?

You're overly passive in this relationship and she's taking advantage of that. Have you guys had counseling from all this?

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

So you gave your consent for your wife to start something up with this other guy.

Then you became uncomfortable about it and asked her to stop fucking him?

Now you're concerned they are still in touch?

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

She openly cheated on you with another guy whom was sympathetic to what you were going through but they both continued the affair openly in front of you? You both want a fresh start, but she wants to be friends with the dude whom she had an affair with and you don't, then she changed the names to her contacts?

You're overly passive in this relationship and she's taking advantage of that. Have you guys had counseling from all this?

We have a counselor but she is awful. We were actually getting ready to switch.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

So you gave your consent for your wife to start something up with this other guy.

Then you became uncomfortable about it and asked her to stop fucking him?

Now you're concerned they are still in touch?

Yep that's all correct.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
All signs point to her doing the dirty on you still. Cheating partners almost always prey upon second chances and exploit the shit out of forgiveness. First mistake you did was giving personal consent to allowing her to converse with the dude afterwards. People like that read that as a sign of weakness and "being soft". Experienced this so many times in my circle of friends (and ex-friends).

Oct 28, 2017
Hate to break it to ya but this sounds like a really bad situation and that she's prioritizing her own desires over your relationship and that right there probably says everything that needs to be said

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all unreasonable.
Nobody just changes their contacts to fake names without wanting to hide something. I think you know what's up.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I know a lot of people who turned out fine despite growing up with divorced parents.

I know far fewer who turned out fine growing up with parents in acrimony.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Think to yourself, do you think you'll ever not think this? From what i'm reading, you don't seem the sort to.

Honestly the problem is not whether she's doing it or not, or whether your paranoia is justified. What you want back, implicit trust and comfort, seems to be gone and irretrievable.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's all correct.
Like everyone else pointed out, these are all glaring red flags, OP. Right now I'm thinking that you're afraid of being alone and that's why you allow this to continue, not that you actually don't see the issue here.

Work out your confidence problems and divorce her, not specifically in that order.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry dude but people don't move onto to cheating with someone else, and what's more ask to remain friends with them if they don't kind of already know things are over, unless you were in an open relationship. I'm so sorry, that really sucks.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has dealt with this with my mother cheating on my father similarly: She is 1000% still cheating on you. Get a better counselor if you want to save this. But be prepared to hit the divorce button. It's possible it might not be salvageable.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm sorry dude but people don't move onto to cheating with someone else if they don't kind of already know things are over, unless your we're in an open relationship. I'm so sorry, that really sucks.

This is actually what she was proposing, opening the relationship. To me, it was an affair because I was never on board with any of it and she wouldn't accept any ground rules.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually what she was proposing, opening the relationship. To me, it was an affair because I was never on board with any of it and she wouldn't accept any ground rules.
Is the only thing holding you two together your kid? I don't think it's healthy to try to have a non existent relationship with someone who's seeing other people and assumably living under the same roof. Even if it's fine overall, neither of you will be able to properly pursue new relationships with people in that circumstance.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You seem like a person who will actually heed advice

Go talk to a lawyer before you say anything to her. Hear what he has to say