• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I like my name now, but my name is said as it is written. Kids are cruel, and there are plenty of unique names that are not impossible for other people to pronounce as you're growing up.

in an ideal world, vibrant unqiue names would be cause for celebration. We don't live in that world, and I wouldn't want my kid to go through what I did but worse.
Kids are cruel about everything IMO, so that's not something I'd consider when naming a child.
The only thing that would bring the world closer to the ideal version is people not being motivated out offear IMO - Even in something as simple as naming their kid.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you are being ridiculous. Both parents should agree on the name and if you can't even agree on how to pronounce it yourselves, let alone inflict the lifetime of forcing your daughter to spell/explain/pronounce for others, it's... not a good start? lol

At the very least, give her an easier middle name, yeah (or put the fancier name as the middle name maybe). But I just wouldn't pick a name unless you both agreed on it. Don't let Kweeva turn into she-Kale Breckin! ;)

Also, I've re-titled the thread because vague titles are clickbaity and discouraged ;)

Good post. Agree on all points.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Kids are cruel about everything IMO, so that's not something I'd consider when naming a child.
The only thing that would bring the world closer to the ideal version is people not being motivated out offear IMO - Even in something as simple as naming their kid.
That's exactly why you should consider it, imo.

It's all great grandstanding about "standing up to fear", but a child doesn't understand such lofty concepts or indeed have any fucking desire to do anything but be a happy kid.

Reality is something that does need to be considered.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
No, you like others are ignoring the reality of how kids and even adults are. It needs to be considered of as part of the process, telling those doing so to "fuck off" is bullshit.
I know the reality. Appeasing close mindedness never helps. Maybe some of the kids that grow up with OPs daughter will be exposed to a different culture. It's not a bad thing.

I agree that it should be considered, but again, if the parents feel strongly about it, they shouldn't be told that they are burdening their child. If someone bullies her for her name, that's a problem with society, not the parents.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know the reality. Appeasing close mindedness never helps. Maybe some of the kids that grow up with OPs daughter will be exposed to a different culture. It's not a bad thing.

I agree that it should be considered, but again, if the parents feel strongly about it, they shouldn't be told that they are burdening their child. If someone bullies her for her name, that's a problem with society, not the parents.

It's not about appeasing close mindedness at all, it's about considering a child who has no concept of these ideals actually living through life as it is.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not here to solve the world's issues, I'm informing OP of my experiences being raised with a name from another culture that was not common in the culture I was raised.
Well, as a counterpoint, people getting shit for their name isn't unique to unique names.

Slutty Suzie, Idiot Ian, Boris the Bastard.

If you don't have a vector of attack for the name itself, bullies will just add some words.

The other considerations for practicality are legitimate, but in a digital world it's going to be easier for people to see spellings and pronunciations in advance for things like job interviews etc. But honestly, I know you went through shit for your name, but trust me when I say this, my name is inoffensive as hell, yet that didn't stop me from being bullied using it either.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're specifically talking about doing it to Irish names, which myself and a few others have explained why that's a problem throughout the thread.

Look, I get where you're coming from now but I would have appreciated just a hint at the context rather than the blunt, "you're a dumbass for not knowing" original response.

That said, I know people called Nieve (a friend from university and another friend's daughter) - would you consider their names offensive? That's a really common take on an Irish name.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
Most people outside my country have trouble pronouncing my name, it's not something I care about. I like my name, and I like why my parents chose it. I can't imagine what I'd be called if my parents worried about how other people will pronounce it, so yeah, I think you're worrying about nothing.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about appeasing close mindedness at all, it's about considering a child who has no concept of these ideals actually living through life as it is.
How can they develop those ideals?

There are kids who are bullied for the color of their skin, the way they look, the way they sound, or their sexuality. Those kids have no choice, which is why it's a good thing if we as a society embraced more diversity. Something to make your kid a little different isn't a bad thing.

That's just my perspective on it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as a counterpoint, people getting shit for their name isn't unique to unique names.

Slutty Suzie, Idiot Ian, Boris the Bastard.

If you don't have a vector of attack for the name itself, bullies will just add some words.

The other considerations for practicality are legitimate, but in a digital world it's going to be easier for people to see spellings and pronunciations in advance for things like job interviews etc. But honestly, I know you went through shit for your name, but trust me when I say this, my name is inoffensive as hell, yet that didn't stop me from being bullied using it either.

It's a constant exhaustion, not something you would have experienced unless you were honed on on for another reason.

This is how it is, kids and even adults are this way. Like I said above, the Kale Brekin thing shows even adults love to mock uncommon names.

A child will have to live through this. If the name is part of your culture and important to you then I get it, but it is not something to dismiss.

And all this talk of "letting the bigots win" and "standing up to fear" is going to matter very little to a kid living through the potential issues.

How can they develop those ideals?

There are kids who are bullied for the color of their skin, the way they look, the way they sound, or their sexuality. Those kids have no choice, which is why it's a good thing if we as a society embraced more diversity. Something to make your kid a little different isn't a bad thing.

That's just my perspective on it.

Your perception as an adult, not the kid who has to live through all of this with no concept of the "bigger picture".

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Would love to know how Caoimhe is pronounced Keeva.

Irish and English have very different roots, the former is a Celtic language of an insular branch and the latter a Germanic one.

Examples -

Hƿæt ƿē Gārde/na ingēar dagum þēod cyninga / þrym ge frunon...

- Old English, excerpt from Beowulf

Anm Sillann Maq Vattillogg

- Primitive Irish from an Ogham stone, in modern Irish meaning, "name of Sílán son of Fáithloga".

Similar to how ancient Persian and ancient Greek had different roots, Irish and English have different roots. It's not that hard to understand.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So because life sucks, don't try. Stick with what's safe to protect children from any harm because they don't understand.

You're being defeatist. You teach children to respect and celebrate diversity, you stamp out hate from an early age and you try to install values in our children to do better than the generation that came before them.

The children growing up in the cohort with mine will be growing up in a much more diverse country than the one I did. They'll be exposed to names, cultures and ideas that were foreign to me growing up. They'll adapt, and accept this far better than you think. Yes, there's going to be bullies, but you deal with them, but the simple stuff like diversity of names in a school classroom is not going to phase them.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's a constant exhaustion, not something you would have experienced unless you were honed on on for another reason.

This is how it is, kids and even adults are this way. Like I said above, the Kale Brekin thing shows even adults love to mock uncommon names.

A child will have to live through this. If the name is part of your culture and important to you then I get it, but it is not something to dismiss.

And all this talk of "letting the bigots win" and "standing up to fear" is going to matter very little to a kid living through the potential issues.

Your perception as an adult, not the kid who has to live through all of this with no concept of the "bigger picture".
So how do you explain to a child that their parents wanted to call them something else, something that had a deeper meaning to them and potentially the child, but didn't because bullying.

You're not even countenancing the flipside.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, there are kids who are bullied for things they can't control. What about them? Should we just leave them to get bullied or should we make an attempt to increase open mindedness?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you explain to a child that their parents wanted to call them something else, something that had a deeper meaning to them and potentially the child, but didn't because bullying.

You're not even countenancing the flipside.
Why raise such a pointless hyperhteical? This is not "the flipside" at all.

That is not something you would ever need to explain if you named them something else. Ever. If the child later wants to change their name to something that is a proud example of their culture, they can.

So because life sucks, don't try. Stick with what's safe to protect children from any harm because they don't understand.

You're being defeatist. You teach children to respect and celebrate diversity, you stamp out hate from an early age and you try to install values in our children to do better than the generation that came before them.

The children growing up in the cohort with mine will be growing up in a much more diverse country than the one I did. They'll be exposed to names, cultures and ideas that were foreign to me growing up. They'll adapt, and accept this far better than you think. Yes, there's going to be bullies, but you deal with them, but the simple stuff like diversity of names in a school classroom is not going to phase them.
It's like you're ignoring my posts in a rush to post your own.

Never said that, I'm saying such lofty ideals won't matter to achild actually living through it.

Not hard to understand.

Like I said, there are kids who are bullied for things they can't control. What about them? Should we just leave them to get bullied or should we make an attempt to increase open mindedness?

The child with the name will still live through the issues. No matter how lofty your ideals are.

That's not something to dismiss when considering this.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'd do it as a middle name at best

My first and last names aren't even difficult to say or spell but people still get it wrong all the time and it frustrates the hell out of me, can't even imagine doing it with a longer Irish name

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I love unique names. I have a unique irish name but its spelled phonetically. So yeah people often have to ask me twice to make sure they heard me right but its mostly not a big deal.

When they see it spelled and ask me how its pronounced they say "oh yeah" and the conversation moves on.

But heres the thing, most people who i meet, wont see it written down. People who see it written down always ask how to pronounce it and then it moves on. People who try to write my nsme often write it wrong. Its never a big deal.

Oct 28, 2017
Look, I get where you're coming from now but I would have appreciated just a hint at the context rather than the blunt, "you're a dumbass for not knowing" original response.

That said, I know people called Nieve (a friend from university and another friend's daughter) - would you consider their names offensive? That's a really common take on an Irish name.
Yeah sorry I didn't really mean to come across that way.

If people want to choose an anglicised name that's their own decision, but I don't think it should be suggested to take the Irish name and then anglicise it just to make things "easier" for people which is what people in here are suggesting.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah, I was thinking about this recently while fantasizing about winning the lottery. (Hey, it's fun to pretend.) I think the best way to remain anonymous online is to have as common a name as possible. Doing a Google search for John Smith brings up over two billion results, whereas my own name only brings up sixteen million. Add location, and it becomes increasingly more simple for people to locate you.

14,000 for mine and the top few are easily identifiable as me

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been said after 9 pages, but when she goes to school and has kids calling her queefer, make sure she knows to thank mommy for that.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP, my wife is Irish and we also had this issue with our baby girl. I shot down any name that was too difficult to spell outright (we live in England, so would have to do more explaining to people) despite the fact that I loved how they sounded. Names like Niamh (Neve), which is a name I really like. We went for an Irish name that was nice sounding and also reasonably spelled.

You have to hold your ground if you feel strongly about it.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Why raise such a pointless hyperhteical? This is not "the flipside" at all.

That is not something you would ever need to explain if you named them something else. Ever. If the child later wants to change their name to something that is a proud example of their culture, they can.

It's like you're ignoring my posts in a rush to post your own.

Never said that, I'm saying such lofty ideals won't matter to achild actually living through it.

Not hard to understand.

The child with the name will still live through the issues. No matter how lofty your ideals are.

For the 100tg time.

It's not dismissing them to have countermeasures for abuse ready and waiting.

It's not dismissing you to say that if a child is bullied for any reason that you deal with the bullies, not with the victim. Make the bullies change, not those singled out.

To say to people who wish to challenge stereotypes, challenge those who see an unusual name and respond with disrespectful insults is ignoring your experience is *wrong*.

I'd defend you and your name from anyone who'd attack you over it. I'd do the same for the OP and we need a world where we celebrate diversity of all forms. This isn't the easy option and requires empowering children to own their heritage and their names and for people around them to protect them and challenge any intolerance that may arise.

It's not lofty ideals to want a better world for our children than what we experienced and it requires effort, from everyone to achieve it.

Oct 27, 2017

The trick is to let the child decide though, no?

I was 'given' a middle-name from the French side of the family, that I am to this day so embarrassed about I erase it, for whenever people are told what it is, they literally burst out laughing.

Every. Fucking. Single. Fucking. Time.

I wouldn't want to saddle a child with a name they couldn't accept, and felt so at odds with it, they'd change it legally.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

Don't you see how trying to make your kid "fit in" exasperates the issue? I agree that no one should name their kid something strange on a whim, but we are talking about tradition and culture. No one should be told that they have to put it aside because there are bad people out there. That's not a "lofty ideal".

Oct 28, 2017

I was 'given' a middle-name from the French side of the family, that I am to this day so embarrassed about I erase it, for whenever people are told what it is, they literally burst out laughing.

I wouldn't want to saddle a child with a name they couldn't accept, and felt so at odds with it, they'd change it legally.
What is it? Promise not to laugh.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
For the 100tg time.

It's not dismissing them to have countermeasures for abuse ready and waiting.

It's not dismissing you to say that if a child is bullied for any reason that you deal with the bullies, not with the victim. Make the bullies change, not those singled out.

To say to people who wish to challenge stereotypes, challenge those who see an unusual name and respond with disrespectful insults is ignoring your experience is *wrong*.

I'd defend you and your name from anyone who'd attack you over it. I'd do the same for the OP and we need a world where we celebrate diversity of all forms. This isn't the easy option and requires empowering children to own their heritage and their names and for people around them to protect them and challenge any intolerance that may arise.

It's not lofty ideals to want a better world for our children than what we experienced and it requires effort, from everyone to achieve it.

It is, no matter how many times you claim it then go on to dismiss it with the rest of your post.

Agsin: those lofty ideals are your own and they're ones I would champion too, but they will not matter to the kid actually living through this.

You didn't have a name like this, I did.

Don't you see how trying to make your kid "fit in" exasperates the issue? I agree that no one should name their kid something strange on a whim, but we are talking about tradition and culture. No one should be told that they have to put it aside because there are bad people out there. That's not a "lofty ideal".

Again: the child who actually lives through this is the one to consider, NOT your own lofty ideals about standing up to fear.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I think it comes down to how connected to the Irish culture you are and she will be. If she won't learn the language, won't be part of the Irish culture (food, celebrations, music, etc) I think it is weird to give a name like that. But it's still an option and the name sound cool.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Alas you can't ask what a child wants as a name, so you have to hope they like it. If they don't it's up to them afterwards!

It is, no matter how many times you claim it then go on to dismiss it with the rest of your post.

Agsin: those lofty ideals are your own and they're ones I would champion too, but they will not matter to the kid actually living through this.

You didn't have a name like this, I did.
And it will matter to the child, of course it will.

If they are taught the reason for their name, the pride, and passion behind it and why it means so much to their parents? Of course they can then be equipped to not only defend it but use it as a badge of honour. Of course they can be given the confidence to speak out against abuse and of course parents and teachers need to show why bullies using it against them are the bad people here.

Bullying can be countered in many ways and this one frankly is one has a better solution than to avoid names that you think may be used against a child.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry I didn't really mean to come across that way.

If people want to choose an anglicised name that's their own decision, but I don't think it should be suggested to take the Irish name and then anglicise it just to make things "easier" for people which is what people in here are suggesting.

I do get that. I wasn't just taking OP's phonetic spelling and saying "just use that" - it was a pre-existing and used version of the name. Although I guess it had to come from somewhere...

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I love Irish/Gaelic names and Caoimhe is a lovely one. I'm a little biased though since I live in north Donegal lol

Whatever you do, please don't give her an anglicized version of an Irish name, that's just silly.

Edit: After skimming past the last few pages, I can't believe some of the shitty xenophobic comments. What the fuck, guys?

Last edited:

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has been a real eye opener in terms of the complete lack of self awareness of a lot of people here.

This isn't on your bestowed list of "things we must be vigilant against in North America" so we get page after page of "lol sounds like queef", "sounds weird bro", "only if you want to ruin her life" and people acting like this is the mother wanting to name her child some random trendy word as opposed to a name which is completely normal in her culture both traditionally and in the present day. But no, she's moved all the way from Donegal to Scotland(are any of you here aware of how close those two places are ? I doubt it but don't let that stop you), so she has to bow to the will of her Scottish husband and the opinions of Americans on resetera based on how they feel about a name they just saw for the first time and judged that it "looks weird lol".

Also, Caoimhe isn't that uncommon in Scotland and the assumption it would certainly lead to bullying is just BS. I wonder if the OP is partially concerned with her standing out as Irish if she has that name and would rather she have a respectable British name so she can blend in.

It's a good thing we're talking about Irish culture and an Irish name here, because if you lot were spouting this sort of ignorant crap about names of lot of other ethnicities of UK immigrants and saying mothers should name their children so as not to inconvenence people who will need to spend 3 seconds processing it the first time they encounter it, you'd be rightly called out on your pathetic ignorance by more than 3 or so people.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing we're talking about Irish culture and an Irish name here, because if you lot were spouting this sort of ignorant crap about names of lot of other ethnicities of UK immigrants and saying mothers should name their children so as not to inconvenence people who will need to spend 3 seconds processing it the first time they encounter it, you'd be rightly called out on your pathetic ignorance by more than 3 or so people.
We had a thread previously where people were doing the same thing in general and bringing up how it was harder to get a job with a "foreign" name. Era is all for diversity, but when it comes to names people start being real weird.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the kid will come to appreciate their name and their cultural roots? It really isn't a death sentence.
No one said it was.

Alas you can't ask what a child wants as a name, so you have to hope they like it. If they don't it's up to them afterwards!

And it will matter to the child, of course it will.

If they are taught the reason for their name, the pride, and passion behind it and why it means so much to their parents? Of course they can then be equipped to not only defend it but use it as a badge of honour. Of course they can be given the confidence to speak out against abuse and of course parents and teachers need to show why bullies using it against them are the bad people here.

Bullying can be countered in many ways and this one frankly is one has a better solution than to avoid names that you think may be used against a child.

It will matter to the child eventually, yes. They will very likely still have to live through it.

You think my own mother didn't tell me all of this when I came home from primary school crying for being bullied about my name? I promise you, it was little comfort.

And while not every child eille experience what I did, it is not something to reason away like you are by making it about the "good fight".

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
She'll be called Queef or Queefer at school and possibly bullied because of the name. Kids are little shits and will use that name against her for sure. You need to change your wife's mind asap.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
she'll be called a bag of crisps
wiRweuq.png

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Ass McButts would be an even better fit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been a real eye opener in terms of the complete lack of self awareness of a lot of people here.

This isn't on your bestowed list of "things we must be vigilant against in North America" so we get page after page of "lol sounds like queef", "sounds weird bro", "only if you want to ruin her life" and people acting like this is the mother wanting to name her child some random trendy word as opposed to a name which is completely normal in her culture both traditionally and in the present day. But no, she's moved all the way from Donegal to Scotland(are any of you here aware of how close those two places are ? I doubt it but don't let that stop you), so she has to bow to the will of her Scottish husband and the opinions of Americans on resetera based on how they feel about a name they just saw for the first time and judged that it "looks weird lol".

Also, Caoimhe isn't that uncommon in Scotland and the assumption it would certainly lead to bullying is just BS. I wonder if the OP is partially concerned with her standing out as Irish if she has that name and would rather she have a respectable British name so she can blend in.

If the child were being raised in Ireland, there would be far less of an issue.

As the child is being raised by Scottish and Irish parents outside of Ireland, the reality is that children and adults are cruel.

That's something to consider, not dismiss.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

This is a great post.
My name is fairly common in my country, but very uncommon outside of it, even in Jewish communities. So if I live in England, would you advice me to not give my kid a Hebrew name that's even a little uncommon? That's super ignorant IMO.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great post.
NMy name is fairly common in my country, but very uncommon outside of it, even in Jewish communities. So if I live in England, would you advice me to not give my kid a Hebrew name that's even a little uncommon? That's super ignorant IMO.

It's ignorant to ignore how children and even adults are too.

There are PLENTY of Irish names that wouldn't have this precise issue.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's something to think about. My wife has a name that's common but pronunciation of said name is entirely different from what's used in the area she ended up growing up within. As such every single person she met here said her name wrong, and to make matters worse there are people she grew up with with the same exact name who use the regional pronunciation.

It's needlessly complicated.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
It's ignorant to ignore how children and even adults are too.

There are PLENTY of Irish names that wouldn't have this precise issue.
I don't make my life decisions based on what idiots think not even when it comes to my hypothetical child. I mean, yeah, it might be something that the kid will have to deal with every once in a while - But in the end, I think having a name that's your own and reflects your family's taste, culture and identity is much more important. That's also something to consider along with the hardships.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
"Boring" first name, "interesting" middle name.

Gives the kid a choice of what they want to use when they grow up.