• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a new phone, and long story short I cant remember my FB password (was obviously logged in for years on my old phone), and the "forgot your password?" link wants to send me a reset password email.....to an email address I havent used in over a decade and yep, you guessed it, no clue about that password either. That one is a gmail account and I've tried their account recovery several times to no avail.

Am I fully boned? Yeah, I know, FB sucks and all that, but it's still something I make use of to keep in touch with people.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bRgJlQj.png

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can you access the messenger app?
You could recover your account through your phone number.

When I put my phone number in Messenger's "forgot your password" it says no accounts match that information despite me using it for years and having my phone linked to it. Urgh.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're locked out, just quit

The only people that matter are those who are in your contact list on your phone, i promise

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but how do I contact their support? The android app seems purposely designed to make how to contact them unclear.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
solo, imo, when you make this call.. you should try the hard sell. keep mentioning that you've been becoming more and more distant with the platform, that you've been hearing bad things on the news, etc. also record the call and post it in this thread.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"you know, it's just.. i keep asking myself, do i really even want to sign into Facebook again?"

"sir. SIR"

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Got your phone hooked up to your FB ?

Log in with your # while using a wrong password. It will send you a one time log in code to your phone provided you're still using the same number on your new phone that you use on FB

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If you're really not trying to steal someone else's account; just contact support, they'll do identity verification checks and can reset your account for you.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can contact FB and regain access to your account by sending them a pic of yourself holding a piece of paper with something they'd require for you to write on it, take a selfie with it and send it to them to prove that it's you. You can also send them a pic of your ID to regain access to your account. Both of these is down via the I forgot password method.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You can contact FB and regain access to your account by sending them a pic of yourself holding a piece of paper with something they'd require for you to write on it, take a selfie with it and send it to them to prove that it's you. You can also send them a pic of your ID to regain access to your account. Both of these is down via the I forgot password method.
It should be illegal to ask for this for stupid account verification lol

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I remember there being a way to regain access in which you had to correctly answer the name of some random contacts from your friends list in a row. I can't remember if it required mail access though.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
Facebook knows so much about people it should just log them in automatically after they browse around the web getting picked up by their trackers/fingerprinting.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
this is hilarious.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Tell me, how else will you regain access to your account if you lost your phone, changed phone numbers, can't reset password via security questions or anything else?

I've lost access to my Gmail account along with my FB account (because I have 2factor authentication) due to me changing numbers and or loosing my phone and these methods have allowed me to regain access to my accounts again.

What exactly about this is hilarious?

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After this, I´d suggest you look into a password manager. Last Pass or Bitwarden are both very good free options.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Ok. Tell me, how else will you regain access to your account if you lost your phone, changed phone numbers, can't reset password via security questions or anything else?

I've lost access to my Gmail account along with my FB account (because I have 2factor authentication) due to me changing numbers and or loosing my phone and these methods have allowed me to regain access to my accounts again.

What exactly about this is hilarious?
you take a photograph of yourself with some word written on it, as requested by someone in a call centre, and send it to a tech company, for them to (presumably) decide whether or not you're who you say you are. it's just an inherently funny thought.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is frustrating. I tried calling that number, it tells you more or less they dont do phone support anymore and to use their Help Centre within the app. So I went under "report a problem" and wrote a summary and submitted it into the ether and now I just have to hope Facebook support eventually reads it and responds? Such a garbage support set up.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it above in one of my posts, I should have linked it lol it'll work, I've done it twice in the past.

I put in an alternative email address I have access to and a picture of my driver's license.....hopefully thatll work. Typically how long have you waited to hear from them after?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put in an alternative email address I have access to and a picture of my driver's license.....hopefully thatll work. Typically how long have you waited to hear from them after?
I'm not sure if they operate on the weekends but if they don't they'll get back to you Monday and once they do it's usually resolved within the hour of initial response.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you not currently logged into facebook anywhere? A computer or something? You might be able to add an email to your account, that's what I did.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you not currently logged into facebook anywhere? A computer or something? You might be able to add an email to your account, that's what I did.

I am logged in on my old phone, and I tried that, but to add another email they require.....my password first. Just a comedy of fails.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Check your old phones browser security settings for the saved Facebook password. Alternatively you don't have any other devices logged in to Facebook? Had you setup any trusted contacts for acct recovery? Could also try emailing [email protected] explain there.

Magni

I am logged in on my old phone, and I tried that, but to add another email they require.....my password first. Just a comedy of fails.
That's just proper security. You need to know your password to change your username (email in this case) or password on any proper platform.

Hope you've learned your lesson and you'll start using a password manager. There is no excuse not to.