• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
While I can appreciate the tech that went into the Steam Deck, I'm one of those people who just doesn't have much use for a portable device. I've played my Switch in portable mode for maybe a few hours at most, and I can't see the potential purchase of a Steam Deck being much different. I know that you can use third-party hardware to connect the Deck to a TV, but that doesn't let you access the controller, so you lose access to the extra controller features on the Deck, like the trackpads and paddles.

And personally, I know that my recently-retired gaming-loving father would love something like this. He regularly asks me about what things are like on Steam, but he's got no interest in messing around with gaming on a computer, so something like this would be great.

Every time I poke my head into a Deck-related thread, I never see anybody else pining away for a more console-ized version of the thing like I am. Am I behind the times, or is there more of a demand for this sort of thing than I realize?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They made that and called them Steam Machines, but there was no market for it. The Deck is only really popular since its filling a more unique gap.

There is meant to be a dock eventually though.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It would be an undifferentiated commodity box. Its a much harder space to be in. I mean it would be a PC with a valve designed case and SteamOS preinstalled, thats about it. They of course sort of tried this already with SteamMachines which failed miserably, but maybe they really could better leverage their brand with some well marketed single commodity box with the Valve logo? I don't know. I'm not sure how interested they would be in doing this because it is kind of boring and they tend to, well, get bored with boring things.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
As a consolation, Valve is updating Steam Big Picture mode to be more in line with the Steam Decks UI. Don't know what's already out there to prevent someone from accidentally wandering into PC-land without very much experience, but I could see the appeal.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I'd buy one. Made by Valve though. Not the Stream machine where anyone could throw parts together. Made by Valve with set specs, a Valve console.

tdiaz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That was what the steam machine was supposed to be a more console like pc but it failed pretty hard. You could just go with a low power mini itx build and have it launch into steam on start up.
But if you really want something consolized you could just stick with a console

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Such things have already existed. See the Alienware Alpha or other prebuilt small form factor PCs.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like making a console box style version is an obvious move for the future. The drawbacks/shortcomings of Steam Machines could be largely addressed now.

Edit: given that they could likely get similar price/performance to existing consoles now, and Proton exists. I think "Steam Machines failed so this will never happen" is not a very well thought out reply to this question.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They made that and called them Steam Machines, but there was no market for it. The Deck is only really popular since its filling a more unique gap.

There is meant to be a dock eventually though.

You could have bought a Steam Machine for like $1 at one point.

Yeah, the steam machines that would need like 8 years of refinement or reinvention in every aspect to become viable in the steam deck. Very good. Very good.
The subject of a stationary steam deck-machine comes up here and there. It's a natural extension, but I'm not sure if it fits all that well with their plans if those plans in fact revolve around hitting budding markets like handleheld pcs or standalone headsets. A steam console could probably offer a better price/performance than a typical ryzen mini-pc, but what else? I suppose the target-platform aspect?

Really what I want in this realm and I don't hear anyone asking for is APU's that have the balance of GPU/CPU shifted dramatically towards the gpu. If I'm building a small apu gaming pc, I don't want to pay $275 for an 8-core Ryzen 5700 that can barely run games at 1080p on low settings. Make a Ryzen with a die space allocation more appropriate for games. It's annoying.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the steam machines that would need like 8 years of refinement or reinvention in every aspect to become viable in the steam deck. Very good. Very good.
The subject of a stationary steam deck-machine comes up here and there. It's a natural extension, but I'm not sure if it fits all that well with their plans if those plans in fact revolve around hitting budding markets like handleheld pcs or standalone headsets. A steam console could probably offer a better price/performance than a typical ryzen mini-pc, but what else? I suppose the target-platform aspect?

Really what I want in this realm and I don't hear anyone asking for is APU's that have the balance of GPU/CPU shifted dramatically towards the gpu. If I'm building a small apu gaming pc, I don't want to pay $275 for an 8-core Ryzen 5700 that can barely run games at 1080p on low settings. Make a Ryzen with a die space allocation more appropriate for games. It's annoying.
Which is basically what Valve's partnership with AMD has allowed with Deck, and yeah I hope in the future could allow for a small form factor desktop/TV box.

Oct 30, 2017
If only there were such a thing called a desktop computer.

Listen to this guys: it's a bunch of pc parts without a screen, and you hook it up to a screen. Valve would make loads of money on this.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a cheap SteamOS box, with the improved big picture, sleep mode, etc.

In fact I may be able to build one right now with an unofficial Arch Linux based on the recovery image. - DIY Steam OS.

Nice to have another alternative for a HTPC OS.

Oct 30, 2017
Can you recommend an approximately $400 small form factor desktop PC that has good gaming performance?
Good luck ever getting that? The steam deck sucks at resolutions > 720 because it's low power for the price. If you wanted 720p perf, you could probably get it for that price.

So now the dream is a super power desktop computer at 400. Even steam boxes weren't that cheap, and no one bought them.

Your option: a console.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I just dont think people are expecting it from Valve considering what happened w/ Steam Machines.

Not to mention their Steam controller, which seems to be what you are pining for IP, a Steam Machine w/ closed hardware and the Steam Controller (discontinued.)

Valve could resurrect these things but I wouldn't hold my breath.

In the end.. just buy your dad a console?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy a cheap SteamOS box, with the improved big picture, sleep mode, etc.

In fact I may be able to build one right now with an unofficial Arch Linux based on the recovery image. - DIY Steam OS.

Nice to have another alternative for a HTPC OS.

Oh hey that's news to me. I Tried a similar project a few weeks ago call Winesapos.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
As many have said it's like the steam machines idea but I think if valve handled it themselves this time it'd be a lot more successful.
Personally I'd love to see a tv centric steam deck

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I don't necessarily need Valve to manufacture them, but I could go for a small-ish APU powered desktop/TV setups if the GPU market continues to be ridiculous.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
A dock would be fine for me. There's a ton of APU boxes out there that blow the Deck out the water and are pretty low priced. SteamOS isn't locked to Deck either.

I honestly kind of expect the later handhelds to blow Deck out of the water and have all the connectivity we want, but pricing wont come down for another year.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck ever getting that? The steam deck sucks at resolutions > 720 because it's low power for the price. If you wanted 720p perf, you could probably get it for that price.

So now the dream is a super power desktop computer at 400. Even steam boxes weren't that cheap, and no one bought them.

Your option: a console.
I have consoles.

But a small form factor desktop designed specifically for gaming, with similar philosophy to that of the Deck is still an appealing concept.

Note that the thermal and power restrictions that exist for the Deck would not be as much of a factor, and obviously they wouldn't need a screen, speakers, a battery etc.

But yes obviously it would also need increased graphics performance.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I'm with you all the way OP. I actually pre-ordered a Steam Deck but let my pre-order lapse because I realized that what I really wanted was the switch-esque experience.

I am getting a lot of laughs out of this thread though: "I know you want to avoid the PC stuff, so what you can do is build your own PC and then..."

Like...I think that's exactly the kind of thing that the OP is trying to avoid.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Which is basically what Valve's partnership with AMD has allowed with Deck, and yeah I hope in the future could allow for a small form factor desktop/TV box.

And consoles. Those apus are over a year old now and have great performance. And the whole box is $400? I understand those are subsidized but I'm just asking to get that apu alone for $350 or something. Does it threaten gpu sales or what? Seems like a completely obvious product.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I have consoles.

But a small form factor desktop designed specifically for gaming, with similar philosophy to that of the Deck is still an appealing concept.

Note that the thermal and power restrictions that exist for the Deck would not be as much of a factor, and obviously they wouldn't need a screen, speakers, a battery etc.

But yes obviously it would also need increased graphics performance.

I'm thinking the Steam Deck gets by with power/performance thanks to the screen resolution, but the second a Steam Box v.2 gets hooked up to a 4K tv people will wonder why this theoretical $400 hardware isn't using all their pixels.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
And consoles. Those apus are over a year old now and have great performance. And the whole box is $400? I understand those are subsidized but I'm just asking to get that apu alone for $350 or something. Does it threaten gpu sales or what? Seems like a completely obvious product.
Yeah I'm not sure of all the specifics, but I could totally see Valve putting out hardware fairly similar to the Xbox Series S.

I'm thinking the Steam Deck gets by with power/performance thanks to the screen resolution, but the second a Steam Box v.2 gets hooked up to a 4K tv people will wonder why this theoretical $400 hardware isn't using all their pixels.

Obviously any such device would be designed to target higher TV resolutions.

People buy the Series S despite it not being a 4k device.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think the biggest issues with the first run of Steam Machines were the software and wild ass prices that the 3rd party manufacturers used. Bother of those are kinda fixed now, but I'm still not sure there's that much of a market for such a machine that isn't tech savvy enough to find an existing solution that needs slightly more work.

Valve needs to worry about making a VR version of the Steam Deck before Facebook ends up owning the entire consumer VR hardware sector.

Oct 30, 2017
Would you actually be happy with the steam deck apu performance at tv resolutions of 1080 to 4K? Probably not.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If I bought such a thing I would probably just use it as a PC.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It does play some games at 4k, lol. Its not just 1080-1440. Ori runs 4k native. Just like that a hybrid could run some games at higher resolution.
My point was that it's promoted by Microsoft as a 1440p gaming device, but plenty of people will have it connected to a 4k TV.

It's also much more powerful than the steam deck!

Because it's got a more capable APU, and isn't designed around handheld limitations.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Once they fully release Steam OS 3, you can buy a tiny PC with an APU and roll your own Steam Box.

There seems to be some people working on Linux for PS4 / PS5, so I could definitely see those people trying to get SteamOS 3.0 working on PS5. Would be kinda insane being able to get a PS5 digital and just turn it into a Steam box.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I poke my head into a Deck-related thread, I never see anybody else pining away for a more console-ized version of the thing like I am. Am I behind the times, or is there more of a demand for this sort of thing than I realize?

You are certainly not the only one. A "TV Deck" seems like a natural extension of the Steam ecosystem, especially with the GPU market in this state. My only question is if such a move would maybe cause some friction between Valve and Microsoft and Sony, since Steam Deck is not directly competing with their own consoles. If these two are fine with it I think a Valve TV console is only a matter of time.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Would honestly like to see Valve fuck around with Steam Machines again but just make them all in-house. The premise was really cool but the tech really wasn't there yet at the time and no other hardware manufacturers really wanted to take a bite at it at the time outside of Alienware.

Probably something that's years away if it ever happens at all.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I would use a Steam Deck as a portable here and there for sure. But even a slightly more powerful TV device along the same lines, with similar pricing, would be my pick between the two.