• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought GG should have been scary bordering on the line of ridiculous. Something like this:

jay-doherty-file9.jpg

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm not as big a fan of the Raimi films as most people but I've never had anything wrong with the Goblin suit, nah.

... That being said I wouldn't want a mechanical suit goblin for the Sony-MCU take. Call it more of an acceptable product of 2000s comic films.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a waste taking a brilliant, expressive actor like Willem Dafoe, casting him as an emotive character, and then putting an unmoving mask over his face. He has great, scenery-chewing moments as plain old Norman Osborn.

I always remember the rooftop scene when he's monologuing at Spider-Man and you can kind of see him doing his full-on, wide-eyed thing through the eyeholes, but it's mostly wasted as two masked characters talking. Like a Power Rangers episode where they've just dubbed over some licensed footage of masked superheroes.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It could be worse but it's not good. The suit itself is actually fine. Especially when you think about it in the context of it being a military flight suit. But if you apply that logic to the helmet it both doesn't make sense, and it commits the sin of keeping us from seeing Dafoe emoting (which is the real tragedy).

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a waste taking a brilliant, expressive actor like Willem Dafoe, casting him as an emotive character, and then putting an unmoving mask over his face. He has great, scenery-chewing moments as plain old Norman Osborn.

I always remember the rooftop scene when he's monologuing at Spider-Man and you can kind of see him doing his full-on, wide-eyed thing through the eyeholes, but it's mostly wasted as two masked characters talking. Like a Power Rangers episode where they've just dubbed over some licensed footage of masked superheroes.
Agreed 100%.

The perfect casting, but the costume left nothing for him to work with.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think the only way Green Goblin could work well in live action (without copping out and making it a helmet and suit) is to make him a transformation. Not like a big bulky dragon man like he was in Ultimate, or the weird shit we got in Amazing SM2. Something that looks closer to the 616 comics like the animatronic video shown (though if that was meant for Dafoe, I'd go even lighter on the animatronics or maybe just go full prosthetic makeup).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine Willem Dafoe killed it in the role overall. Spider-Man in general was step forward with movie companies not being embarrassed to be associated with comics or being comic accurate. The X-Men and Fox refused to change throughout this time and still kept all their shit generic cause we don't want to be associated with what they come from. Deadpool started to be more comic accurate in the characters but it was too little too late.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
It was fine Willem Dafoe killed it in the role overall. Spider-Man in general was step forward with movie companies not being embarrassed to be associated with comics or being comic accurate. The X-Men and Fox refused to change throughout this time and still kept all their shit generic cause we don't want to be associated with what they come from. Deadpool started to be more comic accurate in the characters but it was too little too late.
Blows my mind Wolverine has yet to wear his suit in live action

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine, helped a lot that Dafoe was behind the mask.

But that's the thing, you have William motherfucking Dafoe and you hide his face for half the movie? You done fucked up.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A special part of me that loves Power Rangers will always hold this design dear. Still would have preferred the animatronic version.

Oct 25, 2017
This concept art for that movie looked better than what they ultimately went with.
Maybe the green skin tights are bit much but that top half is way better than the green meanie's helmet.
UrNqjA1.jpg

The final glider was better than this jetski thing though.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind it.

It would have been even better if he had been disfigured from the formula. Make him transform into a goblin so that we could still see his emoting.

source.gif
CloudyBowedGoa-size_restricted.gif
3JZ.gif

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
IDK, they took one of actings most expressive faces in Willem Dafoe and hid it, itd prob be better uncovered.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Willem Dafoe's face was born to play GG. Because of that I give the green suit somewhat of a pass. I wish I could see his expressions through it.

This concept art for that movie looked better than what they ultimately went with.
Maybe the green skin tights are bit much but that top half is way better than the green meanie's helmet.
UrNqjA1.jpg

Now that is terrifying.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I much prefered it to the comic one.
Comic Goblin is way too goofy to work on screen, way more then Mysterio ever was.
Call me crazy but my favorite GG look is the one from ASM2.

Oct 25, 2017
UrNqjA1.jpg

Now this would have been cooler. I will always enjoy Raimi channeling more of his Evil Dead energy.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Stjepan Sejic had this cool design from his deviantart back in 2012:

d57twk9-c39064b9-d8bf-439f-96f2-c18f95c7b111.jpg

this one started as a design challenge. i wanted to make green goblins mask plausible
given that the oscorp technology was military based, i always found the spiderman 1 movie green goblin beyond absurd.

also it completely killed the charisma of facial acting by a perfectly chosen actor.

so i figured.. what if the whole mask is actually an actual glider flight helmet... and normie just went a bit gaga and added some embellishment to his own face XD

it just made the most sense. original movie helmet really killed any shance of preformance form a perfectly chosen actor.. and i just cant see norman osborn making his own movie quality prosthethic goblin mask XD... kinda think he might be a bit busy with oscorp n stuff XD

don't take this too seriously, this is just a bit of design fun brainfarts

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Movie version of Goblins suit was the worst. They had cool animatronic mask options, but settled for the cheap plastic mask. Hope when we get him in the MCU they redeem his look.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. It's really just Power Ranger shit. It looks cheap.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I like it a lot, although it could have been better. I generally think the comic book version is pretty lame. I know a lot of Spider-Man's villains are "lame"/cheesy but I've always specifically disliked Goblin. My big problem with it is that it looks overdesigned. My ideal movie Goblin design would be closer to that DeviantArt picture posted above. The concept art above is pretty decent as well, making it look like a human disfigured to the point where comparisons to a goblin could be drawn rather than looking like a typical goblin (not in the ASM2 way though, that was fucking terrible)

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It was always terrible. Design only, it's awful. From a practical standpoint it was even worse because you just knew Willem Dafoe was hamming it up behind that plastic garbage and you aren't allowed to see it.

This is the real criticism of the suit. It was an obstacle to performance, not an enhancement of it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's very... early 2000's. Can't hate. I also still think Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man suit is the best Spiderman suit. It's charming for it's time TBH. I was like 8 years old when Sam Rami's Spider-Man came out. Good times for childhood me. I thought everything looked awesome back then. Man, those were the best days... Watching Spider-Man AND playing the Spider-Man videogame on my PS2. Nostalgic.

Last edited: