• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amanda Winn Lee, a person involved with the original English translation of Neon Genesis Evangelion has posted in a tweet for Evangelion fans to "learn Japanese and translate yourself or eat a dick" and to "STFU":

For Twenty. Fucking. Years. I've listened to fanboys bitch that I took too many liberties with the translation of Eva. Now their knickers are in a twist because it's too literal. Learn Japanese and translate yourself or eat a dick. Either way STFU

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Not really pertinent to the discussion, but the mental image of Yukiko telling other people to eat a dick is hilarious.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like the people complaining about different things are different people.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm confused. Am I missing some context? Is she also involved in the newer translation? If not why is she mad?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Damn. Harsh, but I can totally see where she's coming from--considering the horrible harrassment she had to endure, as well as the horrible things said about her child.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Meh I can't blame her, fanboys are the worst, especially Eva nuts. Shes been dealing with their whining for a long time, I would probably vent too

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the lowdown?

The Netflix showing is a different translation from the original that is more literal and that generated anger?

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, but Evangelion had a toxic fanbase then and has a toxic fanbase now. These people are doing their jobs and are accused of so much bullshit by fans in the name of political or social movements.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if those are my only two options

i mean learning japanese seems like it'd be pretty hard

so

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching the Japanese RAWs, is there something controversial in the localised version(s)?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If she's been getting horrible shit for it, I could understand her reaction. Twitter can be a foul fucking place.

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt for people in this position. Take shit, take shit, take shit, take even more shit, but the second you dish the slightest frustration back, you're the asshole.

Fuck a fanbase.

If she's been getting horrible shit for it, I could understand her reaction. Twitter can be a foul fucking place.
Twitter hasn't been a thing for 20 years. It's people.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's not a release of Evangelion without fans hating something and a person invovled with the creation telling said fans to fuck off.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was involved in the netflix translation? I thought that was pretty widely panned but I've never watched any Evangelion so I can only go off what I've heard. If that is the case I don't think she has much to stand on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
classic amanda tweets tbh

I totally love this tweet from her:

Welcome new followers. For the record I am a LGBTQ+ supporting, pro-choice, Cheeto Dickhead hating, animal loving, ex voice actress mom who will flay the skin off your bones if you try to police my tone. If you have a problem with any of this, do us both a favor and fuck off now.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm confused. Am I missing some context? Is she also involved in the newer translation? If not why is she mad?
I mean it's right in the tweet. She was bitched at for "getting it wrong" for 20 years and now they're saying hers is "better" and "more accurate" than Netflix's.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
I think the anger is kinda misplaced, but I can understand how frustrating it is to get yelled at for how something was localized only to see large outcry that new localization should have been like the criticized original. Being on the forefront of Eva nerds nonsense sounds very unfun.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yikes. This whole EVA thing has been a mess all around. A shame, was interested in watching the show for the first time. Oh well.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's no surprise when we hear stories of people just having enough of social media who just wanted to enjoy chatting with their audience getting endless shit for stuff they should not be getting shit about and crossing red lines on a regular basis. A good thing became ruined thanks to the most powerful human emotion of all: Spite.

Shit half my post got cut off. Amanda's well in the right to say that, and also I wish she'd say that as Rei or Yukiko cos it'd be funny.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ywqtsdi.gif

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lol. I can appreciate that the NGE fan base generally lacks chill, but I don't know why these would be the same people.

It doesn't matter if they are different people. In essence, Amanda Win Lee is saying the new translations are valid translations even if they don't match her translations.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Seems like anime fans are as shitty as gamers, I guess in some cases they are the same people must be fkn frustrating dealing with them.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, but Evangelion had a toxic fanbase then and has a toxic fanbase now. These people are doing their jobs and are accused of so much bullshit by fans in the name of political or social movements.
Just curious, how can an anime like this have a toxic fanbase? I have no idea why this Twitter user is mad either.

I thought the new translator worked on the Netflix translation. Is it because she feels bad for the new translator getting shit like she did 20 yrs ago?