• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Cal Ripken Jr playing in 2,632 consecutive games. This is one I'm convinced will never be broken. I doubt anyone will ever even come close. Not only would you not have to go on the DL for an injury that whole time, you'd have to have convinced all your managers over that whole time never to give you an off day.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The most amazing record of all time in any sport is that AC Green remained a virgin while playing for the Showtime Lakers in the 80s.

Nothing else comes close.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Jochen Rindt, 1970 Formula 1 World Champion

Going into the Italian Grand Prix, Rindt had 45 points in the standings, 20 points clear of the next closest driver Jack Brabham.

During qualifying on September 5th, Rindt went off the track and crashed due to a brake failure while sustaining severe trauma to his throat because of his seatbelt. He died at age 28.

With four races left in the season Jackie Ickx came closest to Rindt in the standings but still came up 5 points shy, making Jochen Rindt the only posthumous Formula 1 champion in history.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
NASCAR and Indycar's all-time qualifying records: Bill Elliott's 212.809 mph (342.483 km/h) at Talladega in 1987, and Gil de Ferran's 241.428 mph (388.541 km/h) at Auto Club Speedway in 2000. The cars have all changed too much and raw horsepower has been dialed down a bit for safety reasons.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wayne Gretzky.

iIGQohF.png

More assists than any other NHL player has points. (goals and assists combined)

I'm a Mario Lemieux fanboy, but I can't not be blown away by this stat.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Not long ago the Brazilian volleyball team (male) had a record of something like 48 finals in 50 championships, winning 40 of them. I have no idea if that's the best a team ever had, but it was fucking impressive to watch them play.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I never got how Wilt playing in an era where professional basketball player was a part-time job was a knock against him. If anything it was more impressive. The guy was from the future. He was like 3 decades ahead of his peers. Scoring 20 points a game into the 1970's with how they treated their bodies back then is amazing.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
For last 15 years WRC championships (World Rally Championship) have been won by driver with first name of Sebastien. First 9 in a row by Sebastien Loeb and then 6 in a row by Sebastien Ogier.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Are you not allowed to lock the opponent's legs when you are being picked up or something?

Karelin did Greco Roman wrestling. The main difference between Greco-Roman and Freestyle (the other style of wrestling done at the Olympics) is that in Greco-Roman you can't grab below the waist. Whereas in Freestyle you can grab the person's legs.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Literally any of Wayne Gretzky's records. The game has changed so much since he played, nobody will ever come close to breaking any of them even though we may have better players.

Ovechkin can get in the ballpark goal wise. If he gets to 700 by the end of next season, he will have got there 5 years faster then Brett Hull and he scored 150+ goals in his last 5 seasons before retiring. And Ovechkin lost a season and a half from work stoppages.

Also the alternate universe where Lemieux doesn't get cancer or his back destroyed would be very different.

Last edited:

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Karelin did Greco Roman wrestling. The main difference between Greco-Roman and Freestyle (the other style of wrestling done at the Olympics) is that in Greco-Roman you can't grab below the waist. Whereas in Freestyle you can grab the person's legs.

Ah i figured that must be it... as if someone is trying to pick me up the first thing Im doing is Hooking the leg so i dont go anywhere... I always felt like that was a natural human response...

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Russian Wrestler Aleksandr Karelin.
Dude was a monster. Won 29 gold medals and went undefeated for 13!!! years until he lost his first match in 2000. And that was due to a lost point on a technical error. During the last 6 years of that record he didn't even give up a single point.

Overall he has 887 wins and 2 losses. Insane

The dude also competed in the 130 kg weight category and yet still managed to perform the reverse body lift which is usually only performed by light wrestler because it requires so much strength.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
147 Maximum break in 5 minutes and 20 seconds.

As someone who's never played any pool-like games before, it took me a minute or two to figure out what was so impressive about this compared to the pool I always see in movies.

Then I started to realize what was going on. Shit, this is one of the most impressive mental feats I've ever seen.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ovechkin can get in the ballpark goal wise. If he gets to 700 by the end of next season, he will have got there 5 years faster then Brett Hull and he scored 150+ goals in his last 5 seasons before retiring. And Ovechkin lost a season and a half from work stoppages.

Also the alternate universe where Lemieux doesn't get cancer or his back destroyed would be very different.
Yep, the Great One's goal record is definitely one of his more vulnerable ones. If Ovi stays healthy then I definitely think he will finish his career in the top 3 in goals scored with a shot a taking first.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I wanted to mention Karelin, he was absolutely insane. One of the greatest athletes ever.

Roger Federer has never retired/withdrawn from a match.

Retirement stat is true, but he has withdrawn from at least 3 matches that I know of. At ATP Tour Finals 2014 he pulled out of the finals match against Djokovic, Doha 2012 against Seppi, and the third I cannot remember, but I think it was in Paris 2008 or 2009. All back injuries.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Gretzky doesn't have one or two records that will never be broken, he has several.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Packers team record is that former backup QB Matt Flynn had a game in 2012 where he set new team records for passing yards (480) and touchdown passes (6) in a game. They've both since been tied by Aaron, but not yet surpassed.

I was (ironically) very high on Matt Flynn at the time and I really got to rub that game in the faces of my friends when it happened. Was a really fun game to watch. I don't imagine those records will stand the test of time, but until they're beaten, Matty Ace will always hold a place in my heart.
I was at that game. I couldn't have asked for a more exciting game given the fact that we were resting Rodgers.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
56 game hitting streak by Joe DiMaggio.
with defensive shifts, bullpens, and pitchers throwing harder than before and more travel it would be impossible today. What's funny is the day after the streak ended he started a 17 game streak.

maxay

Jan 15, 2019
Yup. First thing that came to mind. It's an unbelievable achievement for a professional sportsman in a non-team sport.

I've always wondered how he managed to play 555 games in 5 years though? That amounts to around one professional squash game every three days. Something seems off.......

He is from my country and he is a legend here and his technique is second to none but one thing he is known to have and is mainly famous for is his fitness. His fitness is his biggest weapon which helped him to win consistently. There are many people who claimed he is the fittest man in all the sports even.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
The cycling Hour Record

It's a record of the farthest anyone has ridden on a bike, from a standing start, in an hour. The current men's record is 54.526km, and for women 48.007km (~4 months ago!). That's about the speed you'd travel in a car in a residential area. On a bike. For an hour.

Nothing electronic is allowed, no clocks to see whether they're on target. Just a person and a bike. Men put out something like 350w of power. It's a complex melding of physical and mental endurance, sports science, and superhuman ability.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Need some Gable love!

Dan Gable is one of the most well known wrestlers in the world, and his stats are amazing.

His career record was 181-1. Two time NCAA Champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist.

In his Olympic matches, he did not have a single point scored against him.

He then went on to become a coach. I've copied and pasted his coaching stats from the Iowa hall of fame.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
  • 355 wins 21 losses 5 ties
  • 15 NCAA team titles, 9 consecutive
  • 45 NCAA champions
  • 152 NCAA All-Americans
  • 12 Olympians, including 4 golds, 1 silver, 3 bronze
  • 25 consecutive Big Ten titles, 21 as head coach, 4 as an assistant and administrator
  • 106 Big 10 champions
  • 3 time Olympic head coach
  • 2 time Olympic assistant coach
  • 6 time World team coach

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isner-Mahut Wimbledon 2010

• Longest match (11 hours, 5 minutes).
  • Longest set (the fifth set required 8 hours, 11 minutes). - This set, in itself, would have broken the previous record for longest match.
  • Most games in a set (138 in the fifth set).
  • Most games in a match (183).
  • Most aces in a match by one player (Isner, 113).
  • Total aces in a match (Mahut's 103 aces, the second highest number by a player in a match, brought the total to 216).
  • Consecutive service games held in a match (168: 84 times each for both Isner and Mahut).
  • Most games won by both winning player (92) and losing player (91) in a match.
  • Most points won in a match (Mahut 502) (Isner 478).
  • Most points in a match (980).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Gretzky.

I think the only one who could have gotten close was Lemieux but his injuries made that impossible. But Gretzkys points are ridiculous he's like 1000 points ahead of the 2nd player lmao

1. Wayne Gretzky (2,857 points)
2. Jaromir Jagr (1,888 points and counting)
3. Mark Messier (1,887 points)

Amazes me every time I see it.