• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So as many have probably heard and seen, the Korean MMO Lost Ark is coming to NA/EU regions with Amazon Games publishing it there.
The game has already been released in Russia and Japan some time ago and of course has originally released in December 2018 in Korea.

One of the things Amazon Games have said about bringing Lost Ark to the West is that they want to make sure that the game not only has a rich and diverse character creator (outside of classes being gender locked, which is a different topic) but they also want to increase the overall seen diversity of NPCs in the game world.
www.playlostark.com

Bringing Lost Ark to the West

We are working with our developers at Smilegate RPG to faithfully bring you this beloved game while preserving the developer’s original vision in this unique take on the MMORPG genre.
We're also actively working on changes that we believe will make our audience feel more at home in Lost Ark. Some areas of focus have been character creation, knowing players of all types want a character they feel represents them – (such as more options for default costumes, hairstyles and skin tones). Additionally, we're working to increase NPC diversity throughout the world of Arkesia. We have been working closely with Smilegate RPG to make changes that reflect our audience. This effort will be ongoing and we'll work closely with our community to identify areas we can improve.
To give an example to people who haven't played the game: While the gameworld is home to NPCs of different races and skintones, a lot of the continents you visit are very homogenous. You have a "medieval europe" themed continent where basically 99% of NPCs are Caucasian. You have a kinda "asian kung fu flick" themed continent where basically every single NPC is Asian. So while you see different cultures and races in the game, it always feels kinda "wrong" how they are never really mixed together at all, even though there is canonically lots of trade and travel between these lands. So Amazon is probably gonna make every place in the world look a bit more mixed than purely "one color".
They also seem to be changing the appearance of some named characters, one example can be seen here:
os1xou48bj671.jpg

The left being the current NPC in KR,RU and JP, the right being him in the NA/EU alpha. (Note that this isn't my picture but was just linked from Reddit)

They are also using some different custom characters for the promotional materials of the game that are darker skinned, for example here are the NA/EU promotional pics for the Summoner and Martial Artist:
crpjPIA.png
yaQecGW.png

So this all sounds pretty alright, doesn't it?
Well, yeah, just as always: Here come the closet racists and other scum.

On the subreddit and on the streamforums, but in general across places where Lost Ark is discussed, we now have threads popping up from "concerned" (isn't this a great little dogwhistle?) users who are not at all ok with NPC appearances being changed or the "westernization" of the game, as they call it.
Some example are posts such as:
exCAsAR.png

fEPLpQN.png

gcpuUk6.png

Absolute weirdness such as this where I guess this person thinks Asian/Korean characters can not be made in Western versions of game character creators?
gNcN8pc.png

Outside of the "concern about diversity" they also have another thing going on, being the "Capital G" Gamers that they are: Censorship.
Even though Amazon has, through a dev on the steamforums, repeatedly stated that there is no censorship and that they are just using some of the more "modest" outfits in the game for their promotional materials, the garbage people are very "concerned about the censorship on display" which leads to such wonderful posts such as this:
unknown.png

"Windsward", the person questioning their life at this moment, is an Amazon Games dev who has been very communicative on the Steamforums for Lost Ark.
sVxl30W.png

This is a small example of the weird ass questions they had to answer.

So why is this topic worth a thread in my opinion?
I guess two reasons:
1) I think it is important to point out when a company, even one such as Amazon with the multitudes of horribleness on display, actually takes steps to make a game more diverse and thereby inclusive. Since Lost Ark is a game I have been looking forward to for a long time, it's a positive thing they are doing imo and I wanted to point this out to people.
2) I also believe it is important to point out whenever decisions such as this get backlash, even if just from these vocal shitheads in the gaming community, as I am a firm believer that when you see hate,openly or thinly veiled, you should counter it and fight it. Yeah, it's just "some dumb posts on the net" but every one of those posts could start to take root in someones mind and create more needless hate.

Let's discuss this, ERA!
What are your opinions on all of this?

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised to see these kinds of steps be taken. Good on them. Shitheads always will complain, especially on the trash heap that is the Steam forums. I feel for that Amazon employee, they clearly are in over their head.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The examples shown there are obvious bullshit dogwhistles, how does an NPC changing race ruin the immersion of a game you haven't played yet? And if you have played the other version what the hell does it matter?

And "censorship"? Imagine being that much of a chud.

This is the first I've heard of this and I think it's awesome what they are doing to diversify the game.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly good sounding changes, that example of the character change is the OP is such a hard upgrade vs the original it's wild.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
As long as there is no censoring just for the sake of censoring, I think this approach is actually localization done right. Some people seem to forget that localization is not just language translation. For people that are against this localization process because diversity, well... boo. The arguments they weild are pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Obviously there is a limit to localization, in the sense that if you go to far with it you may, in a way, affect the original artistic vision of the game itself, but it doesn't seem like that's a problem here.

I like they are taking these "extra" steps to bring the game to the west. I am also happy with how open they are being with the process, as the responses by Windsward seem pretty informative and transparent.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
LoL that dev goes home at night and looks himself in the mirror like "What the fuck man I have a degree...."

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the usual conservative chuds angrily jerking themselves off on their own outrage yet again.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the steam forums if you want to keep faith in humanity. Good on Amazon on trying this and Smilegate for allowing them too.

Played the technical Alpha and the chat was a dumpster fire more or less. Full on racist comments non stop. I guess this is a combination of F2P and no moderation.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Never read the steam forums if you want to keep faith in humanity. Good on Amazon on trying this and Smilegate for allowing them too.

Played the technical Alpha and the chat was a dumpster fire more or less. Full on racist comments non stop. I guess this is a combination of F2P and no moderation.
Oof sorry to hear that! I luckily did not experience that when I played the Alpha!

Twinduct

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't feel like I'm from the same planet as people like this. I can honestly not put myself into the shoes of someone who would actively be put off of the game due to such minor changes (which worked for the better anyways).

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
"I dont care if a character is white, asian, or african"

"wait why are you changing things, forced ass diversity"

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
These people are the same people who complain about loli being removed from anime/hentai. They are closeted racist/pedophiles.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I hate "gamers"

Why does the sight of brown skin anger these people so much?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those don't even look like drastic changes going from what's posted in the OP. You could easily play it off as the characters sporting a summer tan if you were that "concerned" over a game developer moving the melanin slider two ticks to the right.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Those don't even look like drastic changes going from what's posted in the OP. You could easily play it off as the characters sporting a summer tan if you were that "concerned" over a game developer moving the melanin slider two ticks to the right.
The only really concrete evidence of an NPC change we have so far is the character I posted in the OP.
Apparently in the beta (which won't have an NDA) we will see more changes and then we can see how far they really go with it.

The two promo material pics I posted are just player characters which can be customized however you want anyway (outside of gender)

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
In general I prefer it when characters are kept the same worldwide, versus pretending Phoenix Wright lives in California... but fiddling with the appearance of some MMO NPCs seems Mostly Harmless.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Having played the RU client as well as our technical alpha it really boils down to two things as OP stated.

1) Censorship, of which I have seen none of yet on the characters. On the classes page however for the female character pictures as OP stated they did use some darker skins and more "modest" outfits you can get compared to the KR/RU pages. This is almost ALWAYS done in NA/US marketing as there are actual ESRB restrictions for promotional materials. However, in-game I noticed no actual censorship of actual outfits in the game. Hell, for some the female characters, some of their "pants" armor is literally underwear. We shall see if the beta has any major differences.

2) More skin color and facial options. This is a huge win and I didn't see ANYONE complain about this in the TA. In fact everyone was supporting it. Smilegate devs even stated those options would most likely be added to the KR/RU/JP clients as well. When it comes to character creation everyone wants to have more options. We still haven't seen how many/the range of what all colors will be but even already in the clients you can make your characters ranging all the way from pretty pasty to pretty dark. My guess would be is that the big additions will be in hair style, face structures, and mouth/lip options. Windsward the main dev on the forums has already confirmed as much.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
They're going to complain about the character customization. Already saw idiots who played the alpha complaining about the black skin shade option even though that's literally in the Korean version and was always in the Korean version…I still play the Korean version lol. All Amazon did was add a couple more lol

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is a good step.

Though I think they also need to come up with something about those ridiculously revealing female outfits whilst the male's counterparts are fully covered.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Diversifying the general NPC population makes a ton of sense, but I've never been a fan of changing the designs of major named characters in certain regions. Gives me Persona 1 flashbacks.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I've got a buddy who's super excited for this game. 5 years ago he would have been up in arms about this but I've been working on chipping away at his Chud energy. This should be a good test for him, can't wait to see how he reacts 🤔

Pretty baller move on the Dev's part, you don't see this kinda thing very often.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Diversifying the general NPC population makes a ton of sense, but I've never been a fan of changing the designs of major named characters in certain regions. Gives me Persona 1 flashbacks.
No one is sure if they will actually change any "big name" NPCs inside the story.
The example I posted is a minor side character who I am not even sure has a speaking role?

This is a good step.

Though I think they also need to come up with something about those ridiculously revealing female outfits whilst the male's counterparts are fully covered.

There are very revealing male outfits. We talking full on male string tanga

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There are very revealing male outfits. We talking full on male string tanga
Sure, but I bet the female's version of that outfit is also as revealing.

I'm talking about equality. In Korean/Asian MMOs, female armors tend to be revealing even though the male's version is not. You can also see this in games like Monster Hunter.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
What's there to be discussed, tbh? Shitty "gamer" people being what they are, utterly conservative and regressive. As unfortunate it is, it's nothing new and if I get all worked up because of them I'd probably go insane. You can't even talk to those people because they don't want to have a conversation to begin with. There's no sense.

I think it's better to mention how the game changes and show this positive look out instead of giving these douchebags attention.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Are the breasts getting reduced in size?

How pathetic, that you need to get off on videogame characters.

Edit: On a side note if hate is to be countered, it should be countered on the very forums where it's happening. Posting about it on Era isn't fighting anything.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
LMAO, these closeted racist's outrage for this game is only going to make the game even more popular now.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What's there to be discussed, tbh? Shitty "gamer" people being what they are, utterly conservative and regressive. As unfortunate it is, it's nothing new and if I get all worked up because of them I'd probably go insane. You can't even talk to those people because they don't want to have a conversation to begin with. There's no sense.

I think it's better to mention how the game changes and show this positive look out instead of giving these douchebags attention.
I guess I put too much emphasis on the shitheads so the actual discussion kinda gets buried under that.
That was my fault.

I think the main thing I wanted was to show people on ERA that these kind of changes are being done and the discussion should be about peoples opinions of that. Is it enough? Is it too little? Should more games do it? And so on.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The reason I've never gotten into Fantasy or Medieval media is because there's rarely POC in them. I'm glad to see this being reversed.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I love how one post starts off saying "i don't care if they're xxx race" and in the exact same gawdamn post bitch about a character being of "xxx race".

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love how one post starts off saying "i don't care if they're xxx race" and in the exact same gawdamn post bitch about a character being of "xxx race".
I called them out on that and they just tried to dismiss me lol

The reason I've never gotten into Fantasy or Medieval media is because there's rarely POC in them. I'm glad to see this being reversed.
The game definitely has mostly Caucasian and Asian representation.
I haven't played all the content in the game but I don't remember any specifically darker skinned NPCs
So yeah, I hope Amazon puts proper changes in there