• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://apple.news/Ad1dkE4lxTHCGElv28L77gw
In Amazon's second (perhaps now annual) surprise Alexa event, it is making a bigger push into the home audio space with the Amazon Echo Sub. As was leaked yesterday, it's a 100W subwoofer that is meant to supply the bass for a home audio setup. It can be paired with two "of the same compatible Echo devices" for full stereo pairing, and will be controlled with the Alexa app or with your voice.

It ships later this month, available for preorders today. It costs $129.99.
Alongside the Sub, Amazon also announced two more audio products, the Echo Link Amp and Echo Link. The Echo Link and Echo Link Amp are stereo amplifiers with multiple audio in and out options. The Link connects to receiver or amplifier, while the Link Amp has a built-in 60 watt dual-channel amplifier that links your Echo to play music on your stereo. The Echo Link costs $199.99 and will be available later this year, while the Link Amp costs $299.99 and will be available early next year. They support Ethernet and coaxial cables. Neither has a microphone, as they're meant to work with other Echos.

Plus a refreshed Echo line up

Microwave with Alexa connectivity but not built in:

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opening on my iPhone and it wants me to download some shit from the App Store.

Just link to a fucking website, Christ.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
The Link connects to receiver or amplifier, while the Link Amp has a built-in 60-watt dual-channel amplifier that links your Echo to play music on your stereo. The Echo Link costs $199.99 and will be available later this year, while the Link Amp costs $299.99 and will be available early next year. They support Ethernet and coaxial cables. Neither has a microphone, as they're meant to work with other Echos.
So the smaller Link doesn't have an amp or an Echo built in? Is it just a volume knob? What?

And this from Engadget:
The Echo Link -- while not an amplifier -- is made to connect to an existing high-end stereo system via the amplifier or power speakers and deliver quality audio. It'll ship later this year for $199.
It sounds like those $100-200 bluetooth to HiFi devices, except it has ethernet. If it had an Echo built in it'd make more sense.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
We're echo fans here (I use my echo spot, and before that an echo dot) to control my Logitech Harmony / gaming setup.

I run the echo dot, and a Google Chromecast audio/mini, along with my PC, all into some speakers that have simultaneous output. So no matter what everything just works and gets good sound. And it took a lot of looking to find good powered PC speakers that would do that.

I get the Link amp, seems overpriced, but I get it.

But what is the point of the Echo Link? Like, vs an Echo dot or whatever?

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? $199 for a fucking audio jack? Cuz that's what the echo link is. I just needed a fucking 3.5mm jack port on my old echo but no! Amazon wants to charge me $200 to hook up my echo to my sound system? FUCK YOU BEZOS!

It's high end AV. You want the Echo Input which was announced today, it's a 3.5mm out with far-field mics and no speaker for $35.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
An Alexa microwave sounds like one of the most pointless products of all time.

You have to get up to put your food inside the microwave, and have to get up to get your food out of the microwave. So what exactly is the appeal of voice commands there? If you're standing right next to the microwave anyway it's easier to press 6-0-start than saying "Alexa set the microwave to sixty seconds and start" or whatever.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An Alexa microwave sounds like one of the most pointless products of all time.

You have to get up to put your food inside the microwave, and have to get up to get your food out of the microwave. So what exactly is the appeal of voice commands there? If you're standing right next to the microwave anyway it's easier to press 6-0-start than saying "Alexa set the microwave to sixty seconds and start" or whatever.
you don't have to say the time, you can just say the food, like microwave a potato and it knows how much to set the time to.

Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and made an overview because there was a lot of stuff.

Echo Devices:

Echo Dot (3rd gen) MSRP $50

Echo%20Dot,%20Charcoal,%20Front%20On.jpg

Newly redesigned with fabric exterior with improved sound quality and is 70% louder.

Echo Plus (2nd gen) MSRP $150
Echo Plus, Charcoal, Front On.jpg

Also redesigned with fabric exterior and better sound. Retains zigbee hub functionality. Also adds a temperature sensor for triggering actions, e.g. turn on a connected fan when the temperature gets high. Also now has "local voice" ability that lets you perform certain things like switching lights even if the internet is down.

Echo Show (2nd gen) MSRP $230
Echo Show, Charcoal, Angle.jpg

New design and bigger 10" screen and better audio. Supposedly has the best audio perception of any Echo device so far. Also comes with built-in zugbee hub.

Echo Auto MSRP $50 ($25 on preview invite)
Echo Auto, Black Angle 1.jpg

An Echo device that mounts to a dashboard and comes with a cigarette lighter adaptor. Uses your car's audio (BT or aux) and your phone's cellular connection to enable Alexa services. Can give directions or offload to you favorite navigation app (Google Maps, Waze etc).

Accessory Devices:

Echo Sub MSRP $130
Echo Sub, Black Front On2.jpg

Wireless subwoofer designed to work with existing Echo devices to give them more bass. It can be set up in 1.1 or 2.1 configurations. Doesn't have microphones of it's own.

Echo Link MSRP $200
Echo Link Amp, Black, Angle2.jpg

A Preamp designed to integrate your existing high-quality audio system and add Alexa playback. Has coax, RCA, and optical inputs/outputs. Does not contain microphones of its own.

Echo Link Amp MSRP $300
Echo%20Link,%20Black,%20Angle2.jpg

60W 2-channel Amp that connects directly to Alexa services. Has coax, RCA, and optical inputs/outputs. Does not contain microphones of it's own.

Echo Input MSRP $35
Echo Input, Black, Angle.jpg

Similar to a Chromecast audio, this provides a simple aux connection to playback Alexa audio over any speaker. Unlike Chromecast audio it contains far-field microphones to enable voice commands.

Echo Wall Clock MSRP $30
Echo Wall Clock Kitchen.jpg

An analog wall clock that visibly shows your Alexa timers with LEDs and can automatically change for Daylight savings time. Doesn't contain any audio functionality of it's own, connects to an Echo over bluetooth.

Others:

AmazonBasics Microwave MSRP $60
AmazonBasics%20Microwave%20Front2.jpg

Not technically an Echo line product. This is a simple, low cost microwave that can take commands via Alexa. For example you can ask it to "defrost vegetables" and it will know the proper length and power to set. You can also reorder popcorn from Amazon with a single button.

Fire TV Recast MSRP $230 (500GB), $280 (1TB)

Fire TV Recast.jpg

An OTA television DVR designed to work with Fire TV. You can stream this to other devices including the Echo Show, or smartphones and it intelligently uses your home Wifi or Wifi Direct to get the most bandwidth. Directly interacts with Fire TV by placing those recordings in the menu and can be controlled via Alexa. Directly stores recording so that there are no extra fees. Contains 2 tuners and 500GB or 1TB of storage.

Amazon SmartPlug MSRP $25
Amazon Smart Plug, White, Angle.jpg

A basic smart plug that can turn devices on or off and integrates directly with Alexa and Amazon's simplified wifi setup.

Ring Stick Up Cam MSRP $180
71RNXzd9q8L._SY355_.jpg

Battery or wired versions, in or outdoors. 1080p video, night vision, motion detection, and IPX5 water resistance.

Software Updates:

• Alexa Guard - Alexa will gain the ability to act as a security device. You can arm it by saying "Alexa, I'm leaving". This will engage the microphone to check for problem sounds such as broken glass or a smoke alarm. If it hears something it can send you a message with the sound clip. Alexa can also use your smart lights to trigger them in patterns that are similar to those if you were home.
  • Alexa Hunches - Alexa can now use user data to make suggestions. The case they presented is someone who turns a light off at night. If the user said something like "Alexa, good night" Alexa could respond with a suggestion to turn the light off or lock the door.
  • WiFi Simple Setup - This is a new service for connected home device makers. Amazon houses your home wifi passwords and can automatically connect new devices.
  • Local Voice - Select Echo devices (with ZigBee support) will gain the ability to use certain commands when offline to help with instances when the internet goes out or services are not available.
  • Doorbell Functionality - Supported doorbells can ring Echo devices. You can ask Alexa to answer the door in response to rings or motion to communicate 2 way via audio and video, playback custom messages or launch custom routines.
  • Routine Enhancements - Location based triggers, motion triggers, tempurature triggers, ability to set pauses or sleep timeouts.
  • New Cooking Feature for Echo Show - Can do step-by-step recipies from Kitchen Stories, Allrecipes, Epicurious, Food52, TheKitchn, and SideChef
  • Multi-requests - Can now ask Alexa to do several things at a time like "Alexa, add bananas, paper towels, and cat food to my shopping list;" or "Alexa, play Pandora at volume 8."
  • Whisper Mode - If you whisper to Alexa, she'll whisper back to make low volume requests.
  • Stereo Mode - Alexa devices can be arranged in stereo configuration, specifically called out by the Echo Amp.
  • Overlapping groups - An Echo device can now be in multiple playback groups.
  • Skype Audio and Video calling
  • Location-based reminders
  • Firefox and Silk browser for Echo Show
  • Hulu, NBC and Vevo for Echo Show
  • Multi-room Audio for 3rd party services
  • Tidal audio streaming
  • Set preferred speaker group
  • Alexa Blueprints for visual apps
  • New Freetime features kid routines, kid podcasts, kid activity skills

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why one would buy Amazon's smart plug over a third party. Is there any advantage? The way in look at it is I'd rather not get locked into a proprietary setup in case there is ever a need to switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why one would buy Amazon's smart plug over a third party. Is there any advantage? The way in look at it is I'd rather not get locked into a proprietary setup in case there is ever a need to switch.

Not really. Amazon can make a little bit of money off first party recognition but on the consumer end there's not much other than slightly simplified setup.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, this just makes me disappointed in having a Google home. Not that I care enough to switch ecosystems, but Google can barely make their own shit work together, let alone worry about making interesting things like a clock.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I like the echo show but the lack of Netflix and YouTube apps really hurt it. I hope the inclusion of a web browser will mean we can at least play them from the sites

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the Echo Auto. What does it do that you can't do with your phone?

Mainly Alexa support which has lots of advantages over other assistants and huge hands-free advantages over phone apps. iOS in particular doesn't let you change the defaults so external hardware is more necessary. Also, it has a whole far-field mic array calibrated for road noise so it would be considerably better at listening.

I like the echo show but the lack of Netflix and YouTube apps really hurt it. I hope the inclusion of a web browser will mean we can at least play them from the sites

The browsers are almost certainly going to be pointed to as a workaround for Youtube like it is on Fire TV. They did just add Hulu though.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Not gonna lie, my microwave is near two decades old and in need of replacing. Little iffy on it only being 700 watts.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Competition can be good. Hopefully this will mean an improved Sonos sub that sells for a less absurd amount of money.

I'd never purchase a product with Alexa support, though, so I'm kinda stuck with the existing Sonos speakers that I have.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy how quickly smart home products are showing up. In a few more years I see it hitting that general public level of awareness. I bought the Phillips Hue lights awhile back and while cool, I don't use them daily (as smart lights, just regular) but as more and more companies are investing in this stuff, I can see some cool, even easier to setup things coming down the pipeline.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i think auto has a release date.

screenshot-smile.amazkid0a.jpg

only because it's in my saved cart list. lol
which probably also means im part of the invite list. which also means nothing.