• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ne1

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Limited 5GB an hour was bad... Up to 20GB an hour?! That is horrendous.
Isn't that also kind of a good thing, in a non-bandwidth-limited environment? As in that it should allow for a high bitrate and good picture quality?
With a 1tb data cap on a lot of homes in the states it's rough, I have enough people and enough devices on my network that we average 4tb/month in data so unfortunately my back's against the wall and already have to pay for "unlimited"
Oh, I was unaware that many home connections in the US had a data cap. :/

Bruticis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that also kind of a good thing, in a non-bandwidth-limited environment? As in that it should allow for a high bitrate and good picture quality?

Oh, I was unaware that many home connections in the US had a data cap. :/
I'm not sure many is accurate but there are certainly some. I've been using broadband since its inception (Dallas, TX area) and I've had numerous ISPs and never had any data caps. I'm currently on AT&T gigabit fiber and there's no data cap. None of my friends or family have data caps although to be fair some of them pay for an unlimited plan.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Tried a few minutes of Control from home, on my not-good-as-work internet but much-better-than-work PC. Video quality continues to be damn impressive, and the latency is noticeable, but workable. Playing on a controller instead of kb/m, it's damn near alright.

Still, I don't see myself continuing past the week trial. I'm curious to see impressions of their wifi direct controller latency-wise, but there aren't any games I'm curious to test that I don't already own or have access to locally.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Interesting. Might jump in just to try sexy brutale and control maybe. Is this free trial perpetual, or is it tied to a specific preview period? I see people waiting for invites.. so..

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Controller finally came in. It's pretty damn comfortable, and I can immediately tell a slight difference in responsiveness vs using my Elite series 2.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
My controller just came in today, but seriously Albert Penello great job on the controller dude. It's super comfortable, like just satisfying to hold. Only played a little bit furi with it, set it up and messed around, but damn it feels nice

Apr 21, 2018
The whole point of Luna is that its like Netflix instead of you having to buy games like on Stadia. How would it be free?
Gamepass is also a netflix wannabe : Microsoft will allow game purchase through xcloud without sub but not in 2020.

Other rivals have free options from Geforce Now to Stadia.

I don't care if they claim being like netflix or not, Netflix is a very flawed model, that's why i didn't sub.

A lot of cloud users ask for game purchase options, Amazon are free to listen or ignore us and keep a non flexible direction...

5:00

As you can see, Cloud gamers are asking for options. (some others would ask netflix like option for Stadia)

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Gamepass is also a netflix wannabe : Microsoft will allow game purchase through xcloud without sub but not in 2020.

Other rivals have free options from Geforce Now to Stadia.

I don't care if they claim being like netflix or not, Netflix is a very flawed model, that's why i didn't sub.

A lot of cloud users ask for game purchase options, Amazon are free to listen or ignore us and keep a non flexible direction...

5:00

As you can see, Cloud gamers are asking for options. (some others would ask netflix like option for Stadia)

Didn't realize you wanted to be able to just buy games on Luna. I guess it could come down the road, but I'd understand why Amazon wouldn't want to even talk about that given how unpopular that strategy has been on Stadia. GeForce Now is a bit different since you already owned the game to begin with, but you still have issues with publishers requesting their games to be pulled from the service anyway.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize you wanted to be able to just buy games on Luna. I guess it could come down the road, but I'd understand why Amazon wouldn't want to even talk about that given how unpopular that strategy has been on Stadia. GeForce Now is a bit different since you already owned the game to begin with, but you still have issues with publishers requesting their games to be pulled from the service anyway.
They would need to create a storefront and have the Publishers approval to not fall into the same nightmare Gerforce Now did.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I received my invite yesterday. Set it up on my laptop. Impressive. I was using my XSX controller and there is some input lag so I ordered the Luna controller.

Still have to set it up on the Fire Tv sticks.

Apr 21, 2018
Yeah, the joke with Stadia was the sub + the purchase + the tiny library + google pixel phone only.

Now, the game purchase is great since there is no entrance fee anymore.
Even the PRO has proven to be interesting for early adopters since they'll have more than 100 games in their library in 2021.(these games won't leave, it's permanent)

Google has been flexible lately, hope Amazon will offer more options too.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Really looking forward to this hitting the UK. I work for a really good ISP, so looking forward to seeing how well these services work on it when I'm sat in front of the TV!

Hi, is a free Luna version on the road?
Kinda tired of subscriptions... (on top of that, i'm already a Prime subscriber. Any discount for Prime users?)

Both great questions. Right now, the team is focusing on the important core parts of building this service out; making sure the tech works great for customers and devs, understanding how to scale this out in way that we can support as many players as possible, and getting more games on the service (RE:7 was released last week). This is why we're still in the invite period.

What I love about working on this is there is so much opportunity to do cool things with Twitch, with Amazon Prime, with partner channels and of course expanding this out internationally. What I like about Amazon's approach is that they want to make sure it's going to be as good as possible before moving too fast or over-promising and I like that a lot.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I got my controller and I'm having fun playing around with control. I don't see it making me move away from dedicated platforms but it will be a very cool thing to take on the road providing I stop in places with decent wifi.

I know Amazon and Google aren't friends but it would be really nice to see an android tv app for luna.

Apr 21, 2018
Both great questions. Right now, the team is focusing on the important core parts of building this service out; making sure the tech works great for customers and devs, understanding how to scale this out in way that we can support as many players as possible, and getting more games on the service (RE:7 was released last week). This is why we're still in the invite period.

What I love about working on this is there is so much opportunity to do cool things with Twitch, with Amazon Prime, with partner channels and of course expanding this out internationally. What I like about Amazon's approach is that they want to make sure it's going to be as good as possible before moving too fast or over-promising and I like that a lot.
Thanx for your answer. :)

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I can't wait for the service to come to the UK. Amazon going for Windows as the core is a massive win. Will make bringing games across far easier. I'm probably over simplifying things but effectively if a game is on PC it can be on Luna just as easily right? As opposed to Stadia where a specific version has to be developed?

I also think going for Nvidia GPU's is a win too. The T4 seems immensely powerful.

Anyway has anyone who has used this done direct comparisons to Stadia? Is Valhalla 60fps on Luna?

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a few months with Amazon Luna, and all the advantages it had at the start of its beta program have been wiped out thanks to superior streaming services now integrating Ubisoft+ and supporting the iPhone.

Also, its controller sucks.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey all, does Luna not work with razer kishi? Trying it now, doesn't seem to work?

Edit: it did work with kishi!!

Last edited:

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
So I was looking at the "newly added" section on there and saw Metro Exodus. I thought this was weird as that game has been available since day one. I looked at the game and noticed the DLC...that you had to buy at full retail price. On top of that it says you had to have an active subscription to the base game to play. So in essence you have to pay full price to access the DLC and also have to pay the monthly fee for Luna+ too in order to play it. Is this new? If so then I don't like it. If you're going to sell individual DLC at full price then I think you need to sell the entire game (ala Stadia) and give unlimited access so that way you're not paying for a subscription on top of it. Also what happens if the base game is removed from Luna+?
Screenshot-20210221-022638-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
So I was looking at the "newly added" section on there and saw Metro Exodus. I thought this was weird as that game has been available since day one. I looked at the game and noticed the DLC...that you had to buy at full retail price. On top of that it says you had to have an active subscription to the base game to play. So in essence you have to pay full price to access the DLC and also have to pay the monthly fee for Luna+ too in order to play it. Is this new? If so then I don't like it. If you're going to sell individual DLC at full price then I think you need to sell the entire game (ala Stadia) and give unlimited access so that way you're not paying for a subscription on top of it. Also what happens if the base game is removed from Luna+?
Do we have any release date for europe ?
Any hype on Era ?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Do we have any release date for europe ?
Any hype on Era ?
Unfortunately I haven't been really keeping up with Luna news. I'm still subscribed though and do pop in every now and then. They've really ramped up their releases the past couple of months. This month Saints Row the Third Remastered, Dirt 5, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are coming to the platform.

Apr 21, 2018
Unfortunately I haven't been really keeping up with Luna news. I'm still subscribed though and do pop in every now and then. They've really ramped up their releases the past couple of months. This month Saints Row the Third Remastered, Dirt 5, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are coming to the platform.
Ok, i posted my message several hours ago.
There is almost zero hype for Luna on Era.
(As for cloud gaming, there is the Stadia OT and that's it...)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Vaguely. With no Switch 2 for possibly a year or two, that is one platform off my hitlist. I don't have spare HDMI ports, but Stadia offering a free bundle with a game I really want could tempt me. However, if Luna finally comes out over in the UK, then that could be an option as I have a Fire Stick 4K. Be interesting to hear about controller quality, and I believe Stadia still has the edge in quality - although that is out of Beta. Plus I'm with a decent ISP that traditionally targets gamers, so curious to see how it performs!