• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this over the Black Friday weekend, where Amazon was blocking digital sales of games so people had no choice but to buy their own physical copies.

Examples include Assassin's Creed Origins and The Last of Us Remastered, both still on a sale price physically, but neither can be purchased digitally at the moment.

TLOU
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Us-Remastered-PlayStation-4/dp/B00M049PGO/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1511971360&sr=1-2&keywords=the+last+of+us&th=1

Assassin's Creed Origins
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JZXMLC/?tag=era0f0-20

Am I just jumping to conclusions here? Is there a reason why these games are not available digitally right now when normally they are? Seems to make no sense that a digital game can go out of stock or just randomly become unavailable.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
They can run out of keys to sell. I think publishers generate the keys for them.

As for sales they probably want to clear their warehouse of physical copies so they have more room for other games.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
I think you might be jumping to conclusions. I try to keep up to date on the state of Delisted games and removal of stores, and while there may be something going on - it doesn't quite make sense to me.

For example - The Amazing Spider-man 2 has actually been completely delisted from stores, yet Amazon still has a PS4 Digital Code available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4KZP3C/?tag=era0f0-20

Aster1

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Eh, I could still buy it if I select a different edition (also digital)

fcvIns5hQDOOuZ7TXKNhYg.png

Titoes4

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed the opposite. Instances where you could buy the digital copy, but not physical. For example, many EA games were not available for preorder (Madden, Fifa, SW Battlefront II) until the week of release, whereas the digital copy was available. Also, L.A. Noir for the Switch.

Not sure what is going on at Amazon. I also noticed more and more often that for many preorder titles the 20% prime member discount is not available until closer to the title's release.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
I saw the same thing with Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, digital was available before Black Friday, only Physical after. Digital by its definition can never be out of stock.

Edit: Keys can run out ... but new ones can be ordered without a long waiting period.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this over the Black Friday weekend, where Amazon was blocking digital sales of games so people had no choice but to buy their own physical copies.
That's especially interesting given that Amazon won't allow preorders of physical copies for certain publishers -- EA in particular -- and only allows for digital preorders. At least it cuts both ways.

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
They can run out of keys to sell. I think publishers generate the keys for them.

As for sales they probably want to clear their warehouse of physical copies so they have more room for other games.

They are provided by publisher with x amount of keys, but providing new keys shouldn't take more than an hour unless it's a PS4/XB key, in which case a little bit longer, but never more than a day.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I noticed trying to get a digital copy of fm2018 over the weekend. Judt finding thr digital copy was a mission, then it was way morw expensive than the physical.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think this is a case of them running out of digital keys.

I'm going to lock this thread for now, but if there is conclusive evidence of this then feel free to start a new thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.