• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Google says Bezos owns 16% of Amazon so him and his wife each owning 8% doesn't seem dire enough that the rules should be different for someone like him. It's not like she would try to ruin the company when she has a vested interest in it.

In my profession, I've seen lots of businesses either have to liquidate or deal with "new ownership" as a result of divorce. I don't see why Jeff Bezos should get a pass. Amazon will be fine.
Really you don't understand how splitting the stock of the major shareholder would cripple the most valuable company in the world?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bezos' worth appreciates by $270 million per day, more money than most people in this thread will see in three generations of their family's combined income. He gets more out of taking a piss break (that he denies to his warehouse workers) than the median American will see in a year.

Bezos Defenders: That makes him smart

Oct 27, 2017
Google says Bezos owns 16% of Amazon so him and his wife each owning 8% doesn't seem dire enough that the rules should be different for someone like him. It's not like she would try to ruin the company when she has a vested interest in it.
I don't think you quite realize how significant 8% ownership of a company for an individual is

Oct 27, 2017
What does one have to do to "deserve" money, if not lead a company from nothing to one of the biggest in the world? Literally package every item sold? Work in a coal mine? Dig ditches?
Your point of view here is ludicrous.
He deserves to be well off, but not to the detriment of the ones working for him. And giving him his money. But that's how it works in the US

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Really you don't understand how splitting the stock of the major shareholder would cripple the most valuable company in the world?

I think you're overestimating the value of Jeff Bezos if you believe Amazon will be "crippled".

I also don't think the rules should suddenly be different because of the situation. If there is no prenup and the assets were accumulated during marriage - she is entitled to half if she demands it. She likely won't demand it because throwing millions of shares of stock up for sale dilutes their value so they'll have to figure something else out to maximize what she gets. That's how it works.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because they're getting divorced doesn't mean that the stock will be split. That would be a gross simplification of the countless remedies available to both parties.

No change of stock ownership is guarenteed here.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bezos' worth appreciates by $270 million per day, more money than most people in this thread will see in three generations of their family's combined income. He gets more out of taking a piss break (that he denies to his warehouse workers) than the median American will see in a year.

Well, he certainly isn't dumb.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think this is some sort of tax dodge.

What does "trying to think mean"

You are trying to come up with conspires theory ? why?
Its clearly not a tax dodge lol so why are you "trying" to convince yourself it is lol.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He deserves to be well off, but not to the detriment of the ones working for him. And giving him his money. But that's how it works in the US
The workers are getting paid. I know you hate rich people and think that anything besides manual labor isn't work though, so it's honestly not a conversation worth having. We're worlds apart on this.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're overestimating the value of Jeff Bezos if you believe Amazon will be "crippled".

I also don't think the rules should suddenly be different because of the situation. If there is no prenup and the assets were accumulated during marriage - she is entitled to half if she demands it. She likely won't demand it because throwing millions of shares of stock up for sale dilutes their value so they'll have to figure something else out to maximize what she gets. That's how it works.

Just because they're getting divorced doesn't mean that the stock will be split. That would be a gross simplification of the countless remedies available to both parties.

No change of stock ownership is guarenteed here.
obviously I'm exaggerating but splitting his majority stock between him and his wife is still asinine, and that was the post I was responding to.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The workers are getting paid. I know you hate rich people and think that anything besides manual labor isn't work though, so it's honestly not a conversation worth having. We're worlds apart on this.

Yes, I'm sorry. The workers are getting paid, aren't they? I do hope they're grateful.

I'm sure Jeff has worked very, very hard for his billions and he deserves every penny.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

Only if you ignore all the overtime lawsuits I guess, some of which have been in court for years.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

Him being excessively wealthy doesn't have anything to do with his divorce.

It's up to their highly paid lawyers to determine what any kind of split would look like. Any input from us is shaded with virtually nothing but opinion. Which we're all entitled to, but it does seem that we're in territory that isn't really our business here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think divorce is great, no matter how rich you are. Especially for the kids.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was already rich before he started Amazon.

Yeah but to quote Chris Rock, "if Bill Gates woke up with Oprah money, he'd kill himself."

She's gonna get paid and he can declare himself a sovereign citizen and move to Sealand like he dreams about.

However, I'd assume that when you have that kind of money and stock, even in community property, that the divorce must automatically become more like a business deal, with careful consideration given not just to the worth, but the control and corporate implications. But it's funny to think that she could say "I want absolutely nothing from you, I'll take 10% of what we own together and I will try to scrape by somehow with just 100 helicopters and twelve islands."

If Jeff Bezos had a couch, there's probably two or three first world countries worth of loose change down the back.

I'm 2 months from getting married. Is MacKenzie single now, am I making a huge mistake?!!?!

She's also attractive and apparently an excellent creative writer with a degree from a top-tier college and a personal endorsement for her writing from Toni Morrison. I'm gonna chat with Mrs. Stinkles about the benefits of having a Sister-Wife. In a worst case scenario we'd get free shipping.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I don't like it I can just go work for another asshole that didn't deserve it...yay!

Yes, I'm sorry. The workers are getting paid, aren't they? I do hope they're grateful.

I'm sure Jeff has worked very, very hard for his billions and he deserves every penny.

Do you need tissues?

If he isn't smart how is he having all that money and the others don't?
Exactly - He is the boss and lets others work for him and made Amazon pretty big together with other smart people.

If it isn't hard work then do it yourself or don't you want to get rich because being rich is bad?

That dude btw was rich before he started Amazon and all that selfmade.
Outside of the timing with Amazon he didn't run into the Billions by luck only.

Whatever he is paying her won't hurt him much.
Both seem to keep working together so their interests are the same and they won't do anything hurting Amazon.
If Bezos is losing money he will have it back in no time.

This jealousy all the time lol

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He kind of seems like he's going through the stereotypical midlife crisis thing. I remember seeing pictures of him all jacked and looking like a mix of Top Gun and Indiana Jones.

Ninja edit pic:

He looks so fucking old in that picture on the left and he was only 35.
Also, I just noticed that we have the same birthday.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Do you need tissues?

If he isn't smart how is he having all that money and the others don't?
Exactly - He is the boss and lets others work for him and made Amazon pretty big together with other smart people.

If it isn't hard work then do it yourself or don't you want to get rich because being rich is bad?

That dude btw was rich before he started Amazon and all that selfmade.

Whatever he is paying her won't hurt him much.
Both seem to keep working together so their interests are the same and they won't do anything hurting Amazon.
If Bezos is losing money he will have it back in no time.

This jealousy all the time lol

Tweet that to Jeff and he might let you piss in a bottle.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you ignore the part where he was one of the lucky few to make it in the dot com boom he's not that lucky.

His mom was a teen mother with a middle class father who she later divorced. She then married a Cuban engineer who later went on to work for Exxon which is where he got his upper middle class upbringing from. When he left his hedge fund to start the bookstore they invested $300,000 in his venture.

So lesson to all you salty dudes. Just graduate during a boom and ask your wealthy parents to spot you a few hundred thousand for your venture. Then be one of the few to make it rather than the thousands who went bust during the dot com crash. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017

If they truly feel that way, I'm impressed; if I ever have a divorce, I would cherish to be on those terms.

jumpsnax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Whatever, both rich as fuck before divorce, both still rich as fuck after divorce.