• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of my biggest issues with Assassin's Creed ever since the original game is its insistence on constantly reminding me that I'm playing a game, despite the potential for immersion in its settings.

This isn't a discussion about the modern day stuff or the animus. I get playing into the conceit that you're in a computer simulation of the past, but despite that I've found each AC game to suffer from an overload of game information, possibly more than any other open-world game. These games are extremely dedicated to recreating a different time and place, and in that lies the potential to immerse players in worlds that are pretty unique among video games, but then the HUD and menus all have to look so generic.

I'm in the middle of Assassin's Creed Unity right now and things like the shop menus just look so... plain. If they're going to make it look like a futuristic computer interface they could at least make it look like a cool one, like Metroid Prime, new DOOM, Dead Space 1 (more games in general need to do that 3D map screen shit), Rogue One, Alien, or I don't know, Ubisoft's own Watch Dogs 2. Even the shots I'm looking at from the Assassin's Creed movie look cooler than the animus interface in the games.

I tried out Origins for a little bit and the main thing that pulled me out of it was that the HUD constantly reminded me I was playing a game that wanted me to collect a bunch of crap. This was in stark contrast to the two recent open-world games Origins most obviously pulled from -- The Witcher 3 and Zelda Breath of the Wild. None of Origins' HUD presets really satisfied me, either containing too much information or leaving out some of the information I wanted to keep because of how the game is designed (I'll admit moving from a minimap to a Bethesda compass is the one good decision open-world game developers are taking top heart now). TW3 on the other hand lets people switch each individual HUD item on and off (actually I think even Far Cry 4 does this). As soon as I started TW3 I turned off the question marks on the map and a couple other minor things which immensely improved my experience. Breath of the Wild on the other hand is designed from the outset around a minimal HUD.

But even in those games things like maps, character highlights, or interfaces go for some kind of cohesion that isn't too busy. For an extreme example in a historical game, look at the upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The whole HUD is supposed to fit with the medieval theme, to the point where the map screen looks like a contemporary map almost. I'm not saying AC has to go for that, but at least do something that doesn't look like it came from a corporate blob.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. The HUD, the highlights, the menus and every future aesthetics in the game are ugly.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think AssCreed gets away with their futuristic looking interfaces because you are in the futuristic Animus.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I detest the HUD and the blur, really anything that reminds me I'm in the Animus. I also hate the jarring removal from the past content to the stupid, poorly-written modern stuff.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
For Syndicate and Unity I had pretty much everything off. In Origins the default HUD is kept minimal so I leave it how it is.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It didn't really bother me until Origins, but I do think the menus and inventory UI uglify an otherwise beautiful game. The menus just don't look very clean or aliased, or maybe its the framerate that makes them feel bad. Didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the game, but I certainly noticed it. The HUD itself during gameplay didn't bother me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The HUD in Origins was terrible at launch and even after they patched it it still isn't good. There's still no way to turn off the hideous enemy outlines unless you disable the HUD altogether to the point where you can't even see what loot you are picking up.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The HUD in Assassin's Creed games is nothing but immersion breaking garbage.

It doesn't make the game "easier to play" either.

The HUD in AC:Origins even tells you that "fire could hurt you", which is absolutely hilarious and shows just how stupid and dumbed down the series is.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Never phased me in the least, I'm struggling to remember what the HUD elements even are at this point as I haven't played the game for a couple weeks. Roll on the DLC!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The HUD in Assassin's Creed games is nothing but immersion breaking garbage.

It doesn't make the game "easier to play" either.

The HUD in AC:Origins even tells you that "fire could hurt you", which is absolutely hilarious and shows just how stupid and dumbed down the series is.
Huh, not calling you a liar or anything but I've never seen that in a whole lot of hours of play.

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
I always turn the hud to show the bare essentials or just off period. This applies to everything I play, yes even online shooters, mobas and MMOs.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's a problem with modern games in general... you're basically looking at a compass/mini map most of the time. no matter how detailed and immersive the world your attention is drawn to the "skeleton" of it

only solution i could think of is have more open ended objectives and greatly decreasing the world size while still giving the impression of massive scale. it'd require a lot of fine tuning and fundamental design changes

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That being all said, HUDs don't take me out of the game. I'm just not affected by HUDs and I don't understand the breaking of immersion aspect. I'm already on my couch at home drinking water while my wife asks me questions about why our cat is so cute.

banefirelord

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think I've ever given any thought whatsoever to the HUD in the AC games, or in most games. Outside of VR, immersion is rarely a factor I care much about. Ironically I'm much more liable to be annoyed with attempts at diegetic HUD elements or information replacements because they almost always seem more gimmicky than useful.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
All HUDs should be dynamically togglable during gameplay, in all games. Having said that, this is a great post and it's hard to argue with the logic:

That being all said, HUDs don't take me out of the game. I'm just not affected by HUDs and I don't understand the breaking of immersion aspect. I'm already on my couch at home drinking water while my wife asks me questions about why our cat is so cute.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Origins one was pretty fantastic. Very ans you could customize the clutter clean. The old games' was a mess.
I think Origins HUD is decent but the customisation options are lacking. People have been asking since launch to be able to turn each element on or off, like in Dishonored etc. Origins has HUD presets and many people feel that the default one gives you a bit too much info, but the next one down takes away stuff you really want, e.g. seeing what loot you pick up. There's no happy medium.

null_

Oct 27, 2017
i've tried turning the HUD off in Black Flag (last AC i've played), and its just impossible to complete any objectives without the HUD telling you where to go... and then it isn't fun cause you're staring at the mini-map instead of enjoying the world. i feel uncharted:LL did this well, having an in-game map the character pulls up telling you where you are in the world but not much more than that...

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I abhor the UI in every single Ubisoft AAA game except Watch Dogs 1, which was pretty great (and then WD2 had to destroy it).

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I think Origins HUD is decent but the customisation options are lacking. People have been asking since launch to be able to turn each element on or off, like in Dishonored etc. Origins has HUD presets and many people feel that the default one gives you a bit too much info, but the next one down takes away stuff you really want, e.g. seeing what loot you pick up. There's no happy medium.
I mean, normally the hud is your health, the compass and the mission instructions. What else would you like to remove?

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
The HUD in Origins was terrible at launch and even after they patched it it still isn't good. There's still no way to turn off the hideous enemy outlines unless you disable the HUD altogether to the point where you can't even see what loot you are picking up.

I hate that and the player's stealth halo.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually mind the HUD itself. After all, you either have to have something neutral or you have something themed, and the latter can come across as being a bit 90s D&D RPG. It fades into the background after a short time (both figuratively and literally) in either case.

It's really all the diegetic effects that annoy me. When you interact with anything, you get futuristic sounds and visual 'glitch' effects that I find are just entirely unnecessary. I don't think it serves the narrative well either, as when you get plot-related glitches, they have no meaning or effect, as your entire time within the Animus is constantly glitching out.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's really all the diegetic effects that annoy me. When you interact with anything, you get futuristic sounds and visual 'glitch' effects that I find are just entirely unnecessary.

I guess that's partly what I mean when I say the HUD and general UI. It all just makes Assassin's Creed feel more like a soulless game. Right now in Unity I'm only just interested enough in the setting and graphics to stick to the main story.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
In previous games, at least Syndicate and/or Unity I think, you at least had the option to toggle off the HUD with one button like you can in The Witcher 3 (on PC, it's the home key).

And because Assassin's Creed relies heavily on its HUD I can't leave it permanently off and always getting back to the options menu is tedious.

If you try playing without any HUD only for a couple of minutes you'll notice an almost complete different experience: the game, no matter how immerse it is to begin with, gets even more immersive.

When I think of Syndicate, some Victorian steam machine style HUD and menus would have been awesome. I also couldn't care less about that future Animus stuff, so no need for illustrating that stuff with HUD elements.