• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've recently started using grocery delivery services and it is fucking amazing.

Goodbye bullshit grocery store lines and overcrowded isles.

Seriously though it is amazing.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I never realized how convenient grocery delivery could be. I've been doing it for like 2 weeks now.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it cheaper than actually going to a grocery store? If so I'd look into it, if not, I'll shelp my happy ass to the store lol

Amazon Fresh is cheaper than going to the store for me. I live in the Bay Area though and grocery stores around me are overpriced.

I'd pay a little more for the convenience of not wasting hours shopping. (Grocery stores are always packed around me and I have to wait in line 30M regularly)

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon Fresh was amazing when I was living in SF.

I never went to a grocery store ever. Always got orders next morning. The only annoying part was just storing the totes until they pick them up on next order.

So only way that it could be better is if they let you quickly unpack then take the totes right there.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never went to a grocery store ever. Always got orders next morning.

I have an order set to deliver before I make dinner today. In the meantime I'm at the gym and am going to grab a cocktail.

Really though it's awesome and cheaper for me than shopping at the grocery stores in Berkeley.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Amazon Fresh but they stopped delivering to my neighborhood after they bought whole foods. I use FreshDirect which is alright but their selection isn't as good and their frozen items arrive melted

You can buy some random electronics and stuff from Amazon through Fresh sometimes too. Good for when they promotions for Fresh

Is it cheaper than actually going to a grocery store? If so I'd look into it, if not, I'll walk my happy ass to the store lol

not at all, no

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been tempted by HEB's curbside pickup: flat $5 fee, no tipping allowed. It would definitely be worth it for large orders. Problem is my large orders are always the result of impulse buying, not necessarily planning for them.

Edit: actually looks like a few cents more expensive per item

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never went to a grocery store ever. Always got orders next morning. The only annoying part was just storing the totes until they pick them up on next order.

So only way that it could be better is if they let you quickly unpack then take the totes right there.

I use Instacart, they deliver same day, so I just schedule them for after work on Mondays. Really convenient.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean at the end of the day it depends on how you value your time.

My time is more valuable doing other things.

*shrug* half hour a week maybe, but I live near a smart and final store which is almost like a membership-free Costco, so the base food price is usually equal or cheaper than amazon, and that's before the cost of membership and delivery tipping that comes with amazon. Those extra fees are not worth saving half an hour to me.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I've considered Instacart for publix deliveries, but the markup is just too much with how close the store is. I am just more lazy than anything else.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really irritated that Amazon Fresh still isn't available in my area.

Seven

Oct 25, 2017
Austin
We've been using Instacart for the past couple of years and it's fantastic. You can get a yearly subscription so all deliveries over $35 are free. They partner with certain chain stores so the prices aren't inflated, and they've come a long way with the UI and having consistent photography and a good search. I almost never enter a grocery store anymore, so much time saved.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Fresh is great, but I'm kind of annoyed that they now have a $5.00 tip included by default that you have to go out of your way to remove. Kind of bullshit since I'm already paying for Prime and the extra Fresh fee. I used the service once or twice a week for over a year and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $5 extra for each delivery.

holloway

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I use Walmart Grocery. You get everything the same price as in-store, which is pretty much the cheapest outside of discount places like Aldi, and you pay nothing extra for pickup if you schedule it a day ahead of time. Since the store I go to is less than 5 minutes from my house, it's nearly as good as delivery with no added cost.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
I have used it about ~5 times in the past year in a pinch. It's usually a lot more expensive for me compared to say a Costco. Also delivery fee is ~12 bucks for each order iirc, not including tip.

On the plus side, their quality is pretty good.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The middle ground is ordering your food online and then doing a pickup at the store.

I do so with Fry's. It costs $5 an order, but everything else is the same price as in store and I end up saving more money because I don't end up impulse buying and the time saved is also more than worth it on a $200+ a week grocery order.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Houston the fees make it a good bit more expensive, combined with the listings online frequently not matching up with what the stores actually have and the people buying stuff having to make substitutions that don't work out well half the time and its just a headache

Oct 27, 2017
I started using Peapod and it's been a pretty good experience. They have a $10 flat delivery fee which is good IMO. And depending on the delivery time it could be lower. Prices are pretty much the same too so it's a no brainier honestly.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Is it cheaper than actually going to a grocery store? If so I'd look into it, if not, I'll walk my happy ass to the store lol

I don't know if Amazon Prime Now has grocery delivery where you are, but the grocery prices it carries through Sprouts and Amazon Prime itself (two separate Prime Now stores) offer very good prices, essentially or nearly the same as in-store, and with free shipping over $50 so you just pay the tip. I made a thread about it previously:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ever-had-your-groceries-delivered.7180/

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I like to inspect meat and stuff when I buy it because there's a lot of variation out there. I don't trust some beleaguered Amazon employee to take the extra time picking a choice cut of meat instead of just grabbing any fat and gristle-riddled piece of shit that technically bears the label of what I asked for. I had the same issues with Hello Fresh which is why I canceled them.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

They also screw up constantly with produce. They'll not pick fresh stuff and yesterday they straight up did not include the zucchini that I was charged for, and I got a $1 credit. So my recipe is going to be a bit off. One time I ordered for a 6pm window and it arrived after 8pm, which ruined plans.

For these reasons, I rarely use instacart anymore.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
I used Amazon fresh for a while and it was good for the most part. The biggest downside side to it though was all the fresh products like beef, chicken, fruits, vegetables. It always seemed like the ones I got were about to go bad and would only last a day or two where as if I went to the store, I could pick the stuff that would still last a while.

Arol

Avenger
Dec 29, 2017
Used to use Amazon Fresh, but I stopped after I noticed their meat quality was subpar and wasn't getting better. I'd probably keep it if the price reflected the quality.

At least in my area.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, totes should all be disposable now. Maybe not?

I was still getting the non-disposable green bags up until they discontinued service here in November

I tried getting them to pick them up once and it was just 'leave them outside for 3 days' and hope someone comes by. Having them take them while dropping off new orders was hit or miss

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i gave it a try once because they had some promo code that actually saved a bit of money from the order. they ended up only delivering half of it, couldn't get the missing half redelivered and when they refunded the missing items they did so in a way that i was still fully charged for what was delivered despite the promo code. so i didn't use it again.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Amazon Fresh is cheaper than going to the store for me. I live in the Bay Area though and grocery stores around me are overpriced.

I'd pay a little more for the convenience of not wasting hours shopping. (Grocery stores are always packed around me and I have to wait in line 30M regularly)

Dude. Foods Co. (aka Kroger) and Grocery Outlet are a thing.

You don't have to shop at Whole Foods.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Grocery delivery is nice, but yeah the fees and tips can get expensive. Curbside pickup can be much cheaper/a flat fee. HEB's even lets you shop via the in-store coupons, which a lot of grocery apps just can't tap into. I was doing Instacart for a while, but curbside is a good balance between convenience and price.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They never, ever, ever pick the best meat and vegetables, which is why I can't stand them.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using instacart the most... not all stores are subject to the 20 percent fee. In my area Vons/Albertsons charges the fee while others don't.

My biggest gripe with delivery services is accuracy and price. It's common to get free delivery offers that will save you money, on the back half I've always ended up paying more for groceries than I'd pay shopping myself. This is expected but the added cost can get stupid.

Often the shopper will mark an item sold out when I know it's most likely in stock and in turn they always seem to choose the most expensive alternative. I get their in a time crunch but it can quickly add an extra 30 bucks to your bill. I've had some awful adjustments like going from a loaf of market brand sourdough $4 to a gluten free bread that cost $8...

The worst is deli, meats and produce. I've ordered deli cuts and paid $13 for them in the app to only receive a $4 carton of generic lunch meat. Same with cuts of meat which you specify and pay for to only receive a cheap family pack lol

I recommend grocery pick up, you save just as much time and rarely get ripped off. It's easy to get a refund or fix a mistake. Delivery services typically force app credit. Grocery delivery is getting there but has some time to go. Once target and Walmart get in big (maybe in a year+?) you'll see a lot of change.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've started using this. Amazing! I still supplement but this is good for the basics.