• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Unemployment is low, there are tons of high paying tech, healthcare, and trade jobs open. On top of this there is a massive reported skills gap in very important areas of the economy, one of them being cyber which I can personally attest to. Yet I also see we are drowning in student loan debt, plus a lot of hand-wringing about automation stealing jobs. A lot of this stuff just isn't lining up.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any job that subcontracts most of its dev staff are to be avoided like the plague.

I don't think I've encountered any large IT organization (certainly not at a Fortune 500) that doesn't contract out a significant portion of its dev/software engineering roles. I'd certainly be interested in learning who doesn't.

From my POV, leads/seniors/architects/principles/managers aren't contractors, although depending on the company and project I've seen seniors and leads be contractors not be uncommon.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unemployment is low, there are tons of high paying tech, healthcare, and trade jobs open. On top of this there is a massive reported skills gap in very important areas of the economy, one of them being cyber which I can personally attest to. Yet I also see we are drowning in student loan debt, plus a lot of hand-wringing about automation stealing jobs. A lot of this stuff just isn't lining up.

Easy to understand: new demand has been emerging over the years, but people had or graduated into low paying jobs, the wrong jobs. So instead of the low paying jobs being the ones not being filled, it's the high paying ones that are unfulfilled. It shows the education system didn't push people in the right direction, and that changing course is too costly, so the jobs remain open.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - inflammatory point of comparison
For all those saying these aren't fulfillment center positions. . .

WTF is wrong with you guys that you're okay with working for a company that treats OTHER people like shit? Is ResetEra a plantation owner culture? That gives me the creeps.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon tech services, like from Amazon Web Services, are the most profitable business part of Amazon by far, so it makes sense that they're expanding in that area.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Amazon office jobs not being as bad as the fulfillment centers is relative. They're notoriously shitty to work for, even at the office.

Word is (disclaimer: never worked there myself) they pay well, at least on paper, but it's kind of like the big accounting firms where they pay you a salary and then slam you with way more work than you can get done in 40hrs/week. Once you account for all the overtime, your hourly compensation is below industry average.

In any case, even if they treated me well, I don't want to work for a place that treats some people well and others like shit. But I understand this isn't a concern many Americans have, given the way they vote.

Yup. They were aggressively hiring for engineering roles over here a while ago and they a) wouldn't discuss a salary range whatsoever ("it's competitive"), b) wanted me to forego a whole day's pay to drive hours away to do a grueling interview, and c) their work/life balance is shit via numerous first and second-hand sources.

It's largely a burn out culture to pad a résumé, which may work if you're 20 and looking to make that trade-off, but otherwise...hard pass. As a consumer, they can be great; as an employee, no thanks.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
For all those saying these aren't fulfillment center positions. . .

WTF is wrong with you guys that you're okay with working for a company that treats OTHER people like shit? Is ResetEra a plantation owner culture? That gives me the creeps.
Did you just compare Amazon to slave owners?

I have had the privilege to turn down multiple offers from companies with questionable cultures, but others may not have that same luxury. And I hope you keep the same energy about every corporation that doesn't get fit into a headline for you to read about.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume working there is like any silicon valley/wall street corporate experience, where you get paid well but are expected to do a shit ton of overtime and frequently check your email on the weekends. I can see why a lot of those positions would remain open for a while in the current labor market

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Easy to understand: new demand has been emerging over the years, but people had or graduated into low paying jobs, the wrong jobs. So instead of the low paying jobs being the ones not being filled, it's the high paying ones that are unfulfilled. It shows the education system didn't push people in the right direction, and that changing course is too costly, so the jobs remain open.

Yeah I mean, ultimately it probably does go back to education, but the whole thing is screwed up. People pay tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a degree and then end up with low paying low skill jobs? The hell?

On the other hand trade schools are extremely cheap after tax rebates and grants. I started going to night classes when I was 23 and graduated with an IT degree after only a few grand out of pocket. I think there is a very stupid and dangerous stigmatization of the trades in the US, and that people just don't know the options exist.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I hear horrible stories about working at Amazon from my white collar / techie friends.

Culture is supposedly extremely toxic and brutal.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Because nobody wants to work in their sweatshop warehouses. Fuck this trash ass company.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I heard the corp side was bad too, like with a policy to fire the bottom 10% of performers annually.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Already applied for a software developer internship. I doubt it's worse than stocking shelves at Wal-mart (my current job) but ya never know...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I mean, ultimately it probably does go back to education, but the whole thing is screwed up. People pay tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a degree and then end up with low paying low skill jobs? The hell?

On the other hand trade schools are extremely cheap after tax rebates and grants. I started going to night classes when I was 23 and graduated with an IT degree after only a few grand out of pocket. I think there is a very stupid and dangerous stigmatization of the trades in the US, and that people just don't know the options exist.

Yep, unlike in Germany where far more people graduate from trade schools. Probably too much focus on the establishments' names too.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
My friend works there in semi-corp and says its pretty cool due to how loose it is but its in a different country so its probably different, pays decent.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Last time I looked at tech jobs at amazon they were basically looking for people that were already working high end tech jobs (like coming over from google or a similar company) or fresh recruits, with ridiculous requirements on paper at least... but good luck to those applying.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
worked at an urgent care where a few of their employees came through with absolute horror stories about how they're treated, how the elderly are doing backbreaking work & on site "help" just wants to stabilize folks & get them back in line.

it's plainly obvious they don't have regard for their people, if the pay alone didn't show that. they can keep it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Amazon announced last week it wanted to hire 30,000 employees — and a whopping 208,000 people applied, the ecommerce giant said Wednesday in touting the success of a recent recruitment drive it held in six cities as part of the hiring spree.

Thousands of job-seekers flocked to one of those employment fairs this week in Arlington County, Virginia, the planned site of one of up to two new U.S. headquarters Amazon is planning to build. And while the company earlier this year bailed from New York City as the site of one of those hubs amid fierce local opposition, attendees at the Virginia event seemed more receptive.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So should I invest my time in studying and getting an AWS certification? I want a job position that pays great but also great jobs / life balance.

And hopefully not a stressful job.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
My own country has a bit over 5 million people in it with at most a few thousand engineers graduating every year. These numbers boggle my mind!