• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-to-be-working-on-another-big-bet-home-robots

Codenamed "Vesta," after the Roman goddess of the hearth, home and family, the project is overseen by Gregg Zehr, who runs Amazon's Lab126 hardware research and development division based in Sunnyvale, California. Lab126 is responsible for Amazon devices such as the Echo speakers, Fire TV set-top-boxes, Fire tablets and the ill-fated Fire Phone.

People briefed on the plan say the company hopes to begin seeding the robots in employees' homes by the end of this year, and potentially with consumers as early as 2019, though the timeline could change, and Amazon hardware projects are sometimes killed during gestation.

It's unclear what tasks an Amazon robot might perform. People familiar with the project speculate that the Vesta robot could be a sort of mobile Alexa, accompanying customers in parts of their home where they don't have Echo devices. Prototypes of the robots have advanced cameras and computer vision software and can navigate through homes like a self-driving car.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If Alexa can just pop off and start giggling over nothing at 3 in the morning, I'm not about to let a fully formed robot pull that shit too.

Oct 25, 2017
People assume these are for consumers, but it's possible that they're only ever meant to stay in Amazon employees' homes. They could perform tasks like productivity monitoring, piss bottle clean up, or the collection of blood donations to fill the Bezos immortality chalice.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
People assume these are for consumers, but it's possible that they're only ever meant to stay in Amazon employees' homes. They could perform tasks like productivity monitoring, piss bottle clean up, or the collection of blood donations to fill the Bezos immortality chalice.

Warehouse robots are made by Amazon Robotics (Kiva systems) which are unrelated.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Baby steps toward the inevitable robot butler.

I'm ready to step out of my self-driving car and be greeted by Jeevesbot when I walk through the door to a spotless house.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If it doesn't look like this:

rocky4-robot3.jpg

you have failed.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm down with getting a robot butler but I will get one from a company that isn't one of the existing techno hegemonies.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is a solution looking for a problem.

I already have devices that follow me from room to room, it's called a phone and a watch and a tablet. The odds I'm in a room with none of the above is non-existent.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Apple will do the same two years after, more expensive and it will only connect to iTunes and Siri.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I already have devices that follow me from room to room, it's called a phone and a watch and a tablet. The odds I'm in a room with none of the above is non-existent.

Same. If all it is is a portable echo then there's no point to it.

Still want to see it though.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Say you forget all of those?

This will kick in the ceiling and shove a tablet/phone/watch on your hand/broken nub. So you never stop being happy... (tm)

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ffs Amazon, NEVER name your robots after Roman or Greek mythology. It. Does. Not. End. Well.