• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this thing will work fine in most of the suburbs, so I guess I got that going for me.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It needs a self defense system.
source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It's always that same plinky-snappy-clappy music in these videos.

And damn, that thing occupies the whole sidewalk. Imagine a fleet of 4 or 5 of these roaming your neighborhood?

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I hope it works. Amazon delivery people in philly are shit. So lazy and don't even put mail in the right spot.

It actually pisses me off cause I don't wanna file "it didn't come" when it got stolen cause of some dumbass delivery driver putting it on the street of my apartment complex and not in the mail room.

How is such a view seemingly acceptable?

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
If you think that video is great then watch this one I found where they have two of these robots banging...

youtu.be

The love behind your order

Every day at Amazon, incredible employees come together to deliver magical experiences for customers. And some of these employees found more than a job at Am...

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if the robots could explode in a cloud of blue paint bank-bag-trap style then they might not get fucked with. also, cameras of course.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really cost effective to deliver a single package? I guess it must be but wow.

At scale and with various optimizations, maybe. This is only incrementally removing humans from a small portion of the supply chain, but it's likely worth testing. This is coming out of the R&D budget at this stage I'm sure, so profitability doesn't matter. The purpose is to learn.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like it will work outside of their video with the perfectly well maintained sidewalk.

1. How many packages is it carrying? What stops someone from taking other packages?

2. You have to come outside to get your package from the robot? How long will it wait? I want my packages dropped off at the front door.

3. It won't roll up to your door? I don't want to go to the sidewalk for a package.

4. How does it identify you?

5. How does it deal with unpaved areas, rough terrain around a house?

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like it will work outside of their video with the perfectly well maintained sidewalk.

1. How many packages is it carrying? What stops someone from taking other packages?

2. You have to come outside to get your package from the robot? How long will it wait? I want my packages dropped off at the front door.

3. It won't roll up to your door? I don't want to go to the sidewalk for a package.

4. How does it identify you?

5. How does it deal with unpaved areas, rough terrain around a house?

If it can do this job at a significantly reduced cost for even 10% of Amazon's customers, that could be 10s or 100s of millions of dollars saved annually. It probably scales better in certain environments too.

1. Who knows, security seems very solvable, and some security is better than none (our current reality). Package volume could be scalable.
2. Not everybody cares about this; a good portion of the market would prefer this to a package left on the doorstep.
3. Same as (2) above; for me, this would be an extra 8 feet or so of walking, but everybody's situation will be different.
4. Same as (1) above.
5. Likely wouldn't serve these customers, who are probably a minority of customers anyway

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long before Amazon mount tasers on these?

For robotic self-defense of course.

And how long before someone hacks one of these to go back to Jeff Bezos?

"I can't let you do that, Jeff"

*Tasers American oligarch in the balls*