• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
As much as my fiance and I really liked the Xbox One Kinect's voice controls (when it heard us, and before they patched out a to of functionality), I think we're fine using our Harmony remote and a Roku these days.

You can even sync a Harmony Remote with your Amazon Echos these days for most of this functionality, the only flaw with that is that there's a bit of a delay between it hearing you and actually doing the action (which makes using the remote more convenient for the most part).

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
However you might want to use the Cube (as a fully operational hub or just hands-off streaming device), there are some deal breakers in here:

10 things the Amazon Fire TV Cube can't do
1. Does not work with HDMI hubs/switches
2. Can control the volume of either a soundbar or A/V receiver, but not both
3. Does not support Alexa Bluetooth Syncing
4. Does not support Alexa Calling & Messaging
5. Does not support Alexa Multi-Room Audio
6. Cannot be controlled through an external Echo device
7. Not compatible with Projectors
8. Not compatible with Universal Remotes
9. Can't change OTA antenna channels
10. Does not support Sleep Timers

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I am in the market for an alexa device and a 4k streamer and this would have been perfect. But no youtube app and weaker than the 2nd gen firestick? -_-

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
However you might want to use the Cube (as a fully operational hub or just hands-off streaming device), there are some deal breakers in here:

10 things the Amazon Fire TV Cube can't do

Number 2 makes sense though. Universal control schemes always want you to control volume through a single method, not multiple ways.

Number 7 is just weird. I'm not even sure how this would not be compatible.

I am in the market for an alexa device and a 4k streamer and this would have been perfect. But no youtube app and weaker than the 2nd gen firestick? -_-

No, it's weaker than the Fire TV2, not Fire Stick.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Thing is, i have echo dot and fire tv. They want to tell me that this is not possible with these devices i already have?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Received my pre-ordered Cube yesterday, and I have to same I'm rather impressed so far. Setup was super easy. Automatically detected my TV via HDMI-CEC, selected the brand on my AV receiver and my cable provider and went through the quick setup without any issues.

It feels like magic being able to say "Alexa, tune to ESPN" and watch as my TV changes input, changes to the correct channel and boom, there's the NBA draft. This is really what I've been wanting for in an all-in-one solution. Can't wait until they start adding more functionality like being able to control the DVR on my cable box.