• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Why would you buy a game if its not labeled as Steam or whatever platform?

I find "DRM-Free" or "No Platform" labeled games suspicious on Amazon, if its DRM Free, would rather buy it from a distributor who actually sells the games DRM-FREE like GOG directly.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Looks like this... no key like the rest of the stuff in my amazon library.

Edit: here's a link, I guess imgur doesnt work here?

https://imgur.com/o48r3OE
o48r3OE
o48r3OE_d.jpg

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Amazon seems to be getting more and more lax about maintaining their reputation. Fake reviews, pirated products, misleading listings. All seem fair game. Raise a big enough stink and they might take action. Otherwise it's as if they expect no one to notice.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they've never made any effort to remove all the 200-in-1 retro game carts either...

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Why would you buy a game if its not labeled as Steam or whatever platform?

I find "DRM-Free" or "No Platform" labeled games suspicious on Amazon, if its DRM Free, would rather buy it from a distributor who actually sells the games DRM-FREE like GOG directly.
They've been fine before, and keep in mind they've been trying to set up their own digital storefront through twitch for a few months now.

Whole thing is weird.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
* Someone buys car.
* Replaces various parts with aftermarket junk
* Resells it on eBay

Your last comment I can see being a real issue, but I think the industry's arguments about what does and does not constitute piracy is horseshit. Too much grey matter in my opinion.

And "legit resellers"? That's semantics of the worst kind.
I guess we know who the amazon seller is

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that even after the Xulima devs contacted Amazon they asked for a lot of docs to to prove they are the real developers.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I was able to get a refund from Amazon for Frostpunk. I can't confirm that the refund will go through or not yet but...

42686116544_a45c5fd47d_o.png

It's showing up in the order's details.

Here's my correspondence with the amazon representative...
43354769562_cca75fe417_o.png

So perhaps it depends on the individual representative or perhaps you just need to use certain keywords in order to get a refund. I'll definitely be a lot more careful when I shop on amazon in the future. I figured it was just a pricing error but now I know what kind of scummy stuff Amazon lets slip through the cracks.

Oct 25, 2017
Slighty off topic, but Amazon had been selling a bootleg set of the Ghibli releases, which GKids owns. I just checked and it SEEMS it finally was resolved, but apparently GKids had been fighting for awhile with Amazon with getting it removed. It had been up there for months, and yet it took forever for Amazon to do something. It was to the point that it was in the 500s for Movie & TV (which is very high, to note) and within the top 5 of Anime. So Amazon was profiting off of it.

So yeah... they seem to not really care about these issues.
In this case it's worse, because of this:

These were not third party sellers, they were sold by Amazon directly.

Edit:
Specifically it was "Amazon.com Services, Inc." as the seller.

They're not just enabling pirates, they're pirates themselves if they're selling ilegal software.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
* Someone buys car.
* Resells it on eBay

Your last comment I can see being a real issue, but I think the industry's arguments about what does and does not constitute piracy is horseshit. Too much grey matter in my opinion.

Wow... I wonder how many people actually have this same kind of mindset.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
* Someone buys car.
* Resells it on eBay

I mean this fits the clear definition of piracy. Creating copies of a game you are not authorized to copy and selling them for money.

You can't just make copies of a music CD and sell them, without the copyright owner's permission.

You can't just copy a book in it's entirety and sell it, without the copyright owner's permission.

If you HAVE copies of the music CDs or books, that you bought from a legit retailer (aka, those copies are authorized by the copyright holder), you can RESELL those, so long as it means you're removing the copy from your ownership.

If you buy a game on GOG, and try to "resell" it, you still are effectively the owner of the game as it hasn't been removed from your GOG account. You never transferred the ownership of that title to someone, you just made a copy. That's piracy.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this GOG's problem?

Amazon needs to revise how they go about selling downloadable products.

Explain how Amazon. And tell if a digital copy of a game is pirated? Do they have to install and attempt to upgrade each copy? It's impossible. Do they say hey no games can cost less than X??

The only reasonable answer is to have somone report it and the developer has to request it be removed if they can prove it's pirated. Probably to time consuming for a developer.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty extreme. Moral of the story is to pay attention to what you're buying. A $3 Frost Punk should immediately be a red flag.
Amazon have a reputation for aggressive discounts. There are countless examples of them selling (non-pirated) games at similarly steep discounts.

The onus is on Amazon to stop selling pirated software, not on their customers to somehow be able to tell the difference when there is no clear indication either way.

Explain how Amazon. And tell if a digital copy of a game is pirated? Do they have to install and attempt to upgrade each copy? It's impossible. Do they say hey no games can cost less than X??

The only reasonable answer is to have somone report it and the developer has to request it be removed if they can prove it's pirated. Probably to time consuming for a developer.

They should do some basic identity verification of developers/publishers that they agree to sell games on behalf of.

Like every single other digital storefront selling games with the permission of developers/publishers do.

Edit: and in the OP is mention of a developer who reported a pirated version of their game being sold on Amazon nine months ago. Amazon did nothing and are still selling it.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

they're not even removing them after devs or their guinea pig customers tell them about it which is the bare minimum

making sure you have a legal right to sell something is probably a good place to start

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Moral of this story : never buy digital codes on Amazon. Go direclty on GoG or Steam.

Not really.

Checking the page for what you are looking at helps.

Price check from sites like IsThereAnyDeal
Check who the seller is (If its Amazon Digital, then its legit - if it shows anything else, then its a third party which is risky)
Check reviews and the date of when it was posted

Usually checking to see who is selling it will suffice enough - if its Amazon Digital, you dont have to worry.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe some basic ID checks should be in order.

Remember, this is sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party marketplace. All these guys did was take the GOG game and say "Oh hi this is our game please sell it". It'd be the same as getting the GOG version of a game on Steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Not really.

Checking the page for what you are looking at helps.

Price check from sites like IsThereAnyDeal
Check who the seller is (If its Amazon Digital, then its legit - if it shows anything else, then its a third party which is risky)
Check reviews and the date of when it was posted

Usually checking to see who is selling it will suffice enough - if its Amazon Digital, you dont have to worry.
Categorically incorrect. Amazon is the seller in these instances of pirated games being sold.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A bigger pub will have to make a big stink about this for Amazon to take a look.
After Tony left, I dunno who'd you get into contact about the gaming stuff (Since he works with the twitch stuff now)

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon themselves being involved selling these holy shit. One of the devs needs to get organised investigating how many games are effected and round up all the effected devs for a class action lawsuit.

Amazon won't bat an eye unless this goes legal or blows up publicly

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
They also sell bootlegs CD's I have seen Guns n Roses (and other Artists) Live cd boxsets sold through Amazon themselves and not a marketplace

Also these aren't those official bootlegs that get made or authorised neither, straight up bootlegs factory made.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
Was this being sold directly by Amazon or by a third party? I've seen sellers do shady shit like this before when I worked for Amazon, it didn't take long for them to get banned once I reported it.

Although this does look more intricate than just someone sending mediafire links to customers who purchased a music cd.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
The onus is on Amazon to stop selling pirated software, not on their customers to somehow be able to tell the difference when there is no clear indication either way.

Why? Imo, they will keep doing it as long as it is profitable. Amazon is run by one of the most cutthroat rapacious capitalists of the 21st century.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey Bezos, your store is selling pirated copies of certain digital games. It's illegal."

"Wait, you said "selling"? More money for me woooooo"

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's really awful. And unless it gets some attention in the media (like Fortnite's recent crossplay issue), I doubt anything will change, or that there'll even be a statement...

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Question(internet is super slow right now and the links in the OP aren't loading for some reason) are they reselling GOG games(as in, they're buying one license, repackaging it and selling it) or are they literally just creating copies out of thin air based on a GOG copy?

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
These were not third party sellers, they were sold by Amazon directly.

Edit:
Specifically it was "Amazon.com Services, Inc." as the seller.

Was this being sold directly by Amazon or by a third party? I've seen sellers do shady shit like this before when I worked for Amazon, it didn't take long for them to get banned once I reported it.

Although this does look more intricate than just someone sending mediafire links to customers who purchased a music cd.
look above for an earlier post in the thread

And the op has a dev saying they reported it seven months ago and nothing's happened

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I'm not sure how strict Amazon is with posting new software products but I do know from experience that uploading new items to Amazon is terribly easy once you are approved for the category you seek to post your item on, as some categories do require an approval process. All you need is a clean image within their guidelines, a valid UPC which you can buy in bulk, and a description. They don't seem to validate much and bank on consumers alerting them if stuff on their site isn't legit AFTER it has been uploaded for sale.

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Imo, they will keep doing it as long as it is profitable. Amazon is run by one of the most cutthroat rapacious capitalists of the 21st century.

Why?

• Because it is illegal.
• Because amazon is making cents out of it.
• Because there will be a ton of negative PR.
• Government fines for piracy.
• Potential for lawsuits from publishers/customers.

I am still waiting for someone, or some website, to review the Twitch Prime free games, whether any of them fall under this category of being repacked and redistributed by a scammer.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
This is a third party seller. Its like a big swap meet. You can't patrol every sale. Its a bit ingenuinous to say Amazon is selling pirated games.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Question(internet is super slow right now and the links in the OP aren't loading for some reason) are they reselling GOG games(as in, they're buying one license, repackaging it and selling it) or are they literally just creating copies out of thin air based on a GOG copy?
My understanding is that they are acquiring a copy of the game from GOG (unclear whether actually buying it or downloading a pirated version), creating a developer account with Amazon, uploading that (DRM free) build to Amazon, and selling it via Amazon Digital Services as a DRM free download from Amazon.

All without the knowledge/involvement of the developer/publisher, and since Amazon is seemingly not verifying the identity of the "developers' that they partner with, they are able to sell games at a steep discount and make a bunch of money.

I wouldn't be surprised with such lack of oversight, if stuff like keyloggers and other virus are bundled with these downloads. Amazon don't seem to care about what they are selling.

This is a third party seller. Its like a big swap meet. You can't patrol every sale. Its a bit ingenuinous to say Amazon is selling pirated games.
Or you could read the thread and see that these are being sold directly by Amazon.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon have a reputation for aggressive discounts. There are countless examples of them selling (non-pirated) games at similarly steep discounts.

I find their pricing to be in line with everyone else's sale pricing when it pertains to digital games. Actually I find them to be shit when it comes to PC game pricing as they generally keep prices full until a big competitor runs a sale and then they match it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Aw shit. I bought Battle Chasers Nightwar last night since it was so cheap, I didn't think it wouldn't be legitimate.

Is there any chance of Amazon giving a refund? Because I'm uninstalling the game as soon as I get home.

This is where I'm at. Got BC:NW and Mars, didn't download. Guess I'll play roulette with customer service.