• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
After Odyssey I dont care that much for a 3D DK, we got a good dosage of platorm/exploration. Not that I'd say no to it.

Btw for me Mario Odyssey was a great sequel to both SM64 and Banjo Kazooie.

In general, and I can't believe I'm saying this, there's been a saturation of platformers on Nintendo platforms as of late. I'd rather they try out new genres, or ones that they haven't visited in a while.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars Switch Ditch Universe Info. leak

>Spritiual Successor to Days of Ruin
>Massive interconnected world.
>You can go anywhere at any time (aren't gated by lack of tanks)
>Although the open world is huge, it's actually used properly because it was developed alongside Fire Emblem. A lot of ideas were exchanged.
>5 playable COs all with unique abilities.
>Battles involve using 2 or 3 COs at a time to synergize. Think FE, but much more action focused.
>Orange Star is the only country they're revealing during the Direct. It's much larger than AW's version, isn't orange, and is overgrown by nature.
>Heavy emphasis on "Photorealistic graphics" in the environments. They want to recapture that "Advance Wars feeling".
>You travel between areas in a minecart.
>There's 3D sections, although I haven't heard more than that. I have no idea what this means.
>Seeing Mario+Rabbids caused them to delay the game and ALMOST rework the whole thing. It paid off.
>Over 1,500 soldiers. (Not that crazy when you consider how much people die in a war

Oct 27, 2017

>Although the open world is huge, it's actually used properly because it was developed alongside Fire Emblem. A lot of ideas were exchanged.
>Battles involve using 2 or 3 COs at a time to synergize. Think FE, but much more action focused.
>Orange Star is the only country they're revealing during the Direct. It's much larger than AW's version, isn't orange, and is overgrown by nature.
>Heavy emphasis on "Photorealistic graphics" in the environments. They want to recapture that "Advance Wars feeling".
>There's 3D sections, although I haven't heard more than that. I have no idea what this means.
>Seeing Mario+Rabbids caused them to delay the game and ALMOST rework the whole thing. It paid off.
>Over 1,500 soldiers. (Not that crazy when you consider how much people die in a war
I want to believe in anything AW

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
Personal opinion: I think Nintendo is doing a respectable job at securing third party content for 2018 (the next 12 months). I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, don't expect Switch to ever reach PS4-levels of third party support. But Nintendo is being more aggressive than some people would like to believe.

So, more Rockstar and Bethesda games?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I hope it is a year overview for at least the first half of the year, it would give more confidence to people to see solid support for the second year.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Stop asking for 3D donkey Kong, why would they change the genre of the best AAA 2D platformer?

That wouldn't be changing the genre at all. Yes most DK games are 2D but there was a 3D one before and it has cult status. Plus DK is one of the most perfectly colourful, vibrant and musical IPs for a 3D platformer.

Not saying I think it's gonna happen but it's not some wildly unlikely concept. Also a new 3D DK wouldn't stop them doing Tropical Freeze HD too, or even a new 2D one a bit further down the line.

Wii U was swamped with 2D platformers so if they had more 3D ones this gen, that could only be a positive for me.

So, more Rockstar and Bethesda games?

I doubt that's what she's saying since it wouldn't really surprise anyone.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop asking for 3D donkey Kong, why would they change the genre of the best AAA 2D platformer?

It's like people asking for the best turn based multiplayer RPG (Pokémon) to go action RPG.

Let the experts on X genre work on that genre.

Stop asking for 3D Mario, why would they change the genre of the best AAA 2D platformer?

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we will see Night in the Woods announced at this Direct, it has hinted at a couple of months ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Retro Studios' works so far:

3 action-adventure games/shooters
2 2D platformers
Mario Kart 7

.... I think they can tackle a variety of genres.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think they're bringing back Advance Wars. That series never sold well and Nintendo haven't used it for a decade now. With the success Intelligent System has now with Fire Emblem, I doubt they're very interested in Advance Wars now. Personally, I also don't know who's interested in a new game in that series, aside from the vocal minority.

I wonder if we will see Night in the Woods announced at this Direct, it has hinted at a couple of months ago.
I hope so, too!

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Personal opinion: I think Nintendo is doing a respectable job at securing third party content for 2018 (the next 12 months). I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, don't expect Switch to ever reach PS4-levels of third party support. But Nintendo is being more aggressive than some people would like to believe.

As long as Nintendo keeps working hard then hopefully we will get to a place where we see PS4 level support offered on a Nintendo system!

Crosses fingers haham

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they're bringing back Advance Wars. That series never sold well and Nintendo haven't used it for a decade now. With the success Intelligent System has now with Fire Emblem, I doubt they're very interested in Advance Wars now. Personally, I also don't know who's interested in a new game in that series, aside from the vocal minority.

I hope so, too!

It was a fake "leak" mocking the Donkey Kong Planet "leak."

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

LOL

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
That wouldn't be changing the genre at all. Yes most DK games are 2D but there was a 3D one before and it has cult status. Plus DK is one of the most perfectly colourful, vibrant and musical IPs for a 3D platformer.

Not saying I think it's gonna happen but it's not some wildly unlikely concept. Also a new 3D DK wouldn't stop them doing Tropical Freeze HD too, or even a new 2D one a bit further down the line.

Wii U was swamped with 2D platformers so if they had more 3D ones this gen, that could only be a positive for me.
I havent played DK64, but I always hear bad things about it more than it being a cult classic.
Right now, 2D DK are the best at the genre, and (in my opinion) it would be a waste to change it now (let us at least have one 2D DK on switch).

Stop asking for 3D Mario, why would they change the genre of the best AAA 2D platformer?
Big difference, DK games were better than 2D Mario when Mario went 3D. If DK goes 3D now you lose the best of the genre (at least for some years).

would you say the best about metroid prime? Why would they change the genre? lol
I'd agree, I would have liked more 2D Metroids tbh, but at least metroidvanias filled that void (but not on Super Metroid level).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
That makes me think this Direct won't be that big as people here are expecting. Hope I'm wrong.

Not sure what announcement date has to do with size of the direct.

The biggest Nintendo Direct of all-time (coincidentally this will be close to the 5 year anniversary of that one) was announced on one-day notice.

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the 2018 edition of the Nintendo Direct.
Let's get a look at what you can expect in 2018 :

Turrican Trilogy will start the Amiga Virtual Console, right after this presentation.

That's all for today ! Thanks you for watching, see you at e3.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
(let us at least have one 2D DK on switch).

I agree with this wholeheartedly, in fact I think it's guaranteed but I'd still love a 3D one too.

Big difference, DK games were better than 2D Mario when Mario went 3D.

This is an opinion not a fact, and from Nintendo's point of view, it's only which one was selling better that's relevant.

I'd agree, I would have liked more 2D Metroids tbh, but at least metroidvanias filled that void (but not on Super Metroid level).

Considering Samus Returns did well I think a new 2D Switch Metroid that plays similar to Samus Returns but with better graphics and a brand new story/world is actually pretty likely.

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Liam then deleted all the posts and acted like they never happened. Good thing i saved all the tweets. That one above is one of mine. There were 5-6 more.

That's how you become a "leaker" make 200 guesses and then only pretend the 1-2 that you guessed right happened. Guy is a complete fraud.

It's a shame, really, when people don't stand by their convictions. If you're wrong, keep the tweets up and admit you were off. People respect that more than they would respect someone trying to cover their tracks.

On topic, I'm always so excited for Nintendo Directs. They're always a little slice of joy and you never know what they might spring on you.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's like people asking for the best turn based multiplayer RPG (Pokémon) to go action RPG.

You're right. It's not like Retro ever made 3D games before Donkey Kong or anything.

In fact, why should Odyssey exist? 2D Mario is clearly the best and Nintendo shouldn't try anything new.

Either way, just because 2D DK is good doesn't mean a 3D one can't be. We've had multiple styles of 3D Mario from 64, to 3D World, to Odyssey. Retro could very well make a good 3D Donkey Kong game.

I think Kirby should get a 3D game too. Air Ride is still king.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. It's not like Retro ever made 3D games before Donkey Kong or anything.

In fact, why should Odyssey exist? 2D Mario is clearly the best and Nintendo shouldn't try anything new.

Either way, just because 2D DK is good doesn't mean a 3D one can't be. We've had multiple styles of 3D Mario from 64, to 3D World, to Odyssey. Retro could very well make a good 3D Donkey Kong game.

I think Kirby should get a 3D game too. Air Ride is still king.
Just yo he clear, i'm not saying a 3D DK can't be good.
But as a 2D platformers fan I'd be sad if I have to wait 4-5 more years (or another gen) for another 2D DK, since I consider them the best of that genre.
As I said, it's similar to how I feel about people asking main Pokémon games to become an action game.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before, I think having a new 3D DK game done in the vein of something like Crash Bandicoot or Mario 3D World would be the best way to go. A linear, fast paced platformer would be much more faithful to the core design of the 2D DKC games, and it would help distinguish it from Odyssey

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third party publishers make games for successful, thriving platforms. The WiiU was not that. Switch certainly is.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How are they changing? They're just doing a new one unless you think Retro is doing 2D DK for the rest of their lives lol.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't expect the online-heavy third-party games like Call of Duty, Destiny and/or Overwatch until Nintendo has fixed their online infrastructure and launched the paid online service. Hopefully that has happened before the end of the year, so third-parties can launch their titles this Fall instead of early 2019...

Oct 26, 2017
I predicted before that we could see a Hyrule Warriors DX be out on March 3rd, the one year anniversary of BOTW. Would make a lot of sense IMO.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect the online-heavy third-party games like Call of Duty, Destiny and/or Overwatch until Nintendo has fixed their online infrastructure and launched the paid online service. Hopefully that has happened before the end of the year, so third-parties can launch their titles this Fall instead of early 2019...
These games were also on DS, Wii and WiiU just as a reminder. Of course Nintendo needs to improve their online presence...but those games are hitting Switch just based on its success. Switch is entering space where 3rds will be willing to just make it work.

You see games like Rocket League already performing great on the system....those 3rds just gonne hope that the stuff improves by the time their games hit Fall 2018. If a system is about to sell +4m during the Holidays, you probably wanna have some solid Software on the shelves for the new customers.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just yo he clear, i'm not saying a 3D DK can't be good.
But as a 2D platformers fan I'd be sad if I have to wait 4-5 more years (or another gen) for another 2D DK, since I consider them the best of that genre.
As I said, it's similar to how I feel about people asking main Pokémon games to become an action game.

I getcha. It would stink to wait that long for a new 2D DK game. Personally i've been waiting on a new 3D DK for almost 20 years, so hopefully that comes sooner than later.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this keeps going like this DK fans will be the new Metroid fans of this console cycle once it's revealed that Retro is not even working on a DK game. Salt mine thread incoming?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this keeps going like this DK fans will be the new Metroid fans of this console cycle once it's revealed that Retro is not even working on a DK game. Salt mine thread incoming?

When Rare was sold it took almost a decade to get the series back on track, just like it has taken Metroid. So that comparison is already there.

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking more stuff like Fortnite, Gwent and OnRush

Also FWIW Civilization came out on iPad a little while back, so I could see something like that making the move to Switch.

I'm thinking GTAV, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 7, MvCInfinite Assassin's Creed Rogue and Fallout 4

GTAV due to the rumours that its running on Switch as well as Take Two switch support with LA Noire

Fallout 4, because Skyrim uses the same engine and we had alot of Bethesda support on Switch.

Dark Souls because of the initial rumour and From Software being on the list of Switch developers. Also Dark Souls 1 could do with a remaster on PS4 and Xbox One so a Switch addition can go alongside the announcement.

Resident Evil 7 as Capcom has said they want to release more games on Switch. We already have Revelations games and rumour is Capcom wanted more RAM for Switch so it makes perfect sense.

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite cause that game looks like garbage graphically and a Switch version would able to run it without making too many sacrifices. We have 2 Avengers movies coming out in the next 2 years. I'm sure Capcom want to salvage this game with the addition of XMen characters

Assassin's Creed Rogue as there is rumour of a HD remaster on PS4 and Xbox One so may as well release on Switch as it would be able to run it as it's a last gen game.

They are the big ones, I also expect Tales game, Dragonball FighterZ, and etc but these games are more niche.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
When Rare was sold it took almost a decade to get the series back on track, just like it has taken Metroid. So that comparison is already there.
Yeah, I remember how excited people were when Donkey Kong Country Returns was announced. I imagine people's reaction Tropical Freeze would have been better had there not already been an abundance of 2D platformers on the Wii U and if there hadn't been so much mystery surrounding what their new project was.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember how excited people were when Donkey Kong Country Returns was announced. I imagine people's reaction Tropical Freeze would have been better had there not already been an abundance of 2D platformers on the Wii U and if there hadn't been so much mystery surrounding what their new project was.

What's shocking to me is now that we have Prime 4 confirmed, a lot of people still are not okay with Retro making Donkey Kong. I personally don't want to see the series go dormant again, I don't think Nintendo's found someone else to make them. Star Fox is probably gonna take a decade to get back on track now, too.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
men the hype is growing on me..so strong!
but the funny situation is that we are dreaming and hyping for a Direct that has never been announced! ahahahahahahah (hysteric)
I think it will be impossible to replicate the success in terms of GOTY, Awards and million seller software of the 2017. Let's be realistic, what can compare to Zelda an Mario main? they are the best and more known brands of Nintendo. sequels maybe but a sequel is just a sequel....and the niches ip as fzero for exemple, will only make explode videogames forum.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Nothing is funnier than "insiders" being exposed to the harsh light of reality. Either they are exposed as frauds, or they are forced to confront the fact that their "sources" are feeding them bullshit lol.

4chanleak.png

Liam's track record is better than this would suggest, IIRC, but that was pretty embarrassing, all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.