• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LILWOOT

Oct 30, 2017
well the Bravely team is working on Octopath, so if a Bravely Third is gonna happen, it's either gonna be a new team or a while after Octopath releases

Until earlier today I had been under the impression that Octopath was 100% coming from the Bravely team, but actually Octopath is being developed by Acquire, whereas the Bravely series is developed by Silicon Studio. They share a few key staff members, including the Octopath producers (who both produced the Bravely games), but it could still be that there is a Bravely team at Silicon Studio and an Octopath team at Acquire, with both teams working on projects currently. So here's to hoping for a Bravely sequel or at least HD collection coming soon!

EDIT: I was a little off base about the exact relationship between the OPT and Bravely teams. Hopefully this is a more accurate version.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Actually (and I only correct this because I myself was under this mistaken impression until earlier today) Octopath is being developed by Acquire, whereas the Bravely series is developed by Silicon Studio. Not sure why there was such a buzz about Octopath being from the same developer as the Bravely series. So here's to hoping for a Bravely sequel or at least HD collection coming soon!

Octopath Traveler shares a producer, Tomoya Asano, with the Bravely series.

Nintendo seem to have accidentally propagated the misconception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-Y_FgDHjQ

Nintendo said:
Square Enix presents a brand new RPG from the Bravely Default team, coming to #NintendoSwitch! Embark on an adventure all your own.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like the demo, but if they upgraded it so the graphics no longer make my eyes bleed, I may take it another look

LILWOOT

Oct 30, 2017
Octopath Traveler shares a producer, Tomoya Asano, with the Bravely series.

Nintendo seemingly accidentally propagated the misconception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-Y_FgDHjQ

Yeah, after looking into it a bit more while editing my post I realized it's a little more complicated than I thought! Looks like OPT shares the two producers and artist with the Bravely team, so I imagine that's what Nintendo (and all the news outlets that latched onto it) meant. Still got my fingers crossed for some activity with both teams, though! OPT looks amazing and I'd love to see Bravely on the Switch.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like the demo, but if they upgraded it so the graphics no longer make my eyes bleed, I may take it another look

On the toilet right now so hard to look up, but I believe they released a video about the demo feedback where they showed menu options to make the visuals less blown out by toning down the bloom and such.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
ah sweet birthday present

Seems like a pretty nifty game though I mainly am just drawn to its cool sprites-in-detailed-3D-environments style.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
OK, sure, it's maybe a release date, whatever.

When are we getting the actual name of the game? The listing still says Project Octopath Traveler.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
OK, sure, it's maybe a release date, whatever.

When are we getting the actual name of the game? The listing still says Project Octopath Traveler.

It's probably just gonna be "Octopath Traveler"

Short of naming it "Final Fantasy" for brand recognition, I think it would be marketing suicide to stray from titling it "Octopath Traveler," since they've already had a spectacularly successful demo to raise awareness for that moniker.

Plus, I've grown fond of it; it seemed like typical Square Enix jargon at first, but it resonates really well with the theme of the game: eight travelers, eight paths.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hope so.

We know that Nintendo has MORE than enough in the pipeline to easily fill a Direct with.

Yeah, seriously it's time to start telling us new big games coming. We have all these leaked dates and games like South Park, which hasn't been officially announced yet. We know Nintendo has first party games to show. They can't be saving everything for E3. We've moved past that since 2013.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, seriously it's time to start telling us new big games coming. We have all these leaked dates and games like South Park, which hasn't been officially announced yet. We know Nintendo has first party games to show. They can't be saving everything for E3. We've moved past that since 2013.
why would "everything" be saved for e3?

we've known the general schedule for a while.
Jan direct.
spring driect.
E3.

Jan direct fills out H1.
Spring direct will flesh out H2 ( a 2019 game could be announced but not needed)
E3 fills out H2 more and gives dates for Q3 games. And announces a bomb or two for 2019 or 2020.

then Fall direct gives Q4 game dates and announces a few new games for next year.

(Then there's random announcements like Japan third parties doing their own thing, and THe Game Awards.)

repeat.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ready to play the fuck outta this. I played through the warrior story last week. The intersections of everyone's stories is gonna be a treat.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after looking into it a bit more while editing my post I realized it's a little more complicated than I thought! Looks like OPT shares the two producers and artist with the Bravely team, so I imagine that's what Nintendo (and all the news outlets that latched onto it) meant. Still got my fingers crossed for some activity with both teams, though! OPT looks amazing and I'd love to see Bravely on the Switch.

It's this one in the case.

l1uOI3M.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why would "everything" be saved for e3?

we've known the general schedule for a while.
Jan direct.
spring driect.
E3.

Jan direct fills out H1.
Spring direct will flesh out H2 ( a 2019 game could be announced but not needed)
E3 fills out H2 more and gives dates for Q3 games. And announces a bomb or two for 2019 or 2020.

then Fall direct gives Q4 game dates and announces a few new games for next year.

(Then there's random announcements like Japan third parties doing their own thing, and THe Game Awards.)

repeat.

I know.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Later than expected but I will take it: my most anticipated game this year. GOTY contender for sure. I think it will be called Octopath Traveller: SE will not name it FF despite the game, imo, being better than most of the recent ones. FF now is a shadow of itself. It is just the brand. Also hoping for a Bravely Third, but who knows if it will happen.

Not sure about the potential direct: it seems that Nintendo do not care about traditional gamers anymore and we are back to the wii days with Labo and other peripherals. It does not seem that from a third party standpoint things are hot in terms of announcement: except N IS, the rest are empty promises and all talk and no action.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
That is a perfect release date if true. Can't wait to snuggle up with this baby in bed gonna die of coziness.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hm, August is a tad late for my liking, but whatever. It's great that it will be in summer either way.
Hollow Knight March (?), Hyrule Warriors April (?), DS Remastered May, Ys VIII June (?), Octopath Traveler August.
Fits quite nicely with my monthly buying routine by now.

Oct 30, 2017
Damn that's later than I expected. At this rate I'm expecting Fire Emblem no earlier than September. This is definitely looking like a off year for Switch when it comes to exclusives. Will probably get Yoshi, Fire Emblem and enhanced Smash Port for the 2nd half of the what when it comes to tentpole Nintendo exclusives. I think they will also announce another Port that they will market like a big game similar to Mario Kart 8 DX which is selling like a new game. I'm expecting that game to be NSMBU+NSLU package.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Good date for this if it is actually this. Hopefully it means a direct soon to confirm dates of the rest of the spring titles and announce some summer ones.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Not sure about the potential direct: it seems that Nintendo do not care about traditional gamers anymore and we are back to the wii days with Labo and other peripherals. It does not seem that from a third party standpoint things are hot in terms of announcement: except N IS, the rest are empty promises and all talk and no action.
Huuuh? What if they're just gathering releases and infos in the background only to release them with the added public attention of a Direct or E3? Just because we don't hear much at the moment doesn't mean that we're back to 'Wii days'.
I got the complete opposite impression in that Nintendo certainly knows what the core audience wants and what they should do to bring in other costumers with things like Labo. I don't know where you're getting your negative impressions from to be honest.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the potential direct: it seems that Nintendo do not care about traditional gamers anymore and we are back to the wii days with Labo and other peripherals.

Sorry but you can't be serious ? Labo didn't cancel Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Smash and all of Nintendo's great franchises that are coming on Switch. It is a thing on its own, it was not introduced in a Direct showing that Nintendo sees it as a complementary product and not a replacement for their whole software line.

It does not seem that from a third party standpoint things are hot in terms of announcement: except N IS, the rest are empty promises and all talk and no action.

NIS is not the only one. A few examples :

Square Enix announced/released Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Dragon Quest X (Japan), Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler (exclusive), Dragon Quest Heroes I&II (Japan), I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, The World Ends With You (exclusive)... All of that in a year !

Sega also released Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces and Puyo Puyo Tetris and announced Valkyria Chronicles 4, a franchise that was on PS platforms.

and others ... (THQ Nordic, Ubisoft etc).

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
August is what I predicted for the release date so I wouldn't be surprised if this is right.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
It seems for Switch August will be the month of sleeper hits. Lats year Mario Rabbids, now Octopath.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Later than expected but I will take it: my most anticipated game this year. GOTY contender for sure. I think it will be called Octopath Traveller: SE will not name it FF despite the game, imo, being better than most of the recent ones. FF now is a shadow of itself. It is just the brand. Also hoping for a Bravely Third, but who knows if it will happen.

Nintendo does care about traditional gamers. Did Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 get canceled? Labo is Nintendo expanding their reach for Switch, which is fine.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

lol

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird to say Nintendo doesn't care about traditional gamers in a thread about a rather mature, turn based JRPG which has sprites.

Its weird anyway, in the Wii days Nintendo still made Sin and Punishment 2.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the demo the beginning of the game? I have way too many games to replay whole sections, looking at you Nier Automata.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I would be glad if this turned out to be true. That means that a lot of polishing and improvements based on the feedback are being made. The game already looked and played great, but now it looks like they want to push this game hard. Im really anticipating this one.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
$60 seems perfectly reasonable for Octopath. Looks like a high production all around. Primrose's perfromance was phenomenal in the demo!