• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
That's especially rough considering that Amazon frequently has price drops on preorders.

They know what they're doing.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think the effect of this is going to be felt mostly on people who go for limited edition pre-orders. I know some people can't decided so chuck a pre-order in and then they can change their mind if they want to, or if there's more info about the product.

Won't effect me really as I barely pre-order, but it's disappointing to see it being removed

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Does it make much difference? You can still cancel the pre-order at anytime can't you, after you have your demo code?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I've got what I wanted preordered for the next 6 months or so. And by then hopefully the backlash will have caused a reconsider lol

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to use alternatives to Amazon more and more recently, so this is just another bit of incentive to continue doing that.

Funny they are becoming worse than GAME lol

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I thought you're not allowed to charge consumers for an item that is way off/is heavily frowned on? Or is that another market. Or am I making it up.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Happened to me, ordered Bloodstained and they charged me 5 days after order. Made a complaint on principle as they didnt inform me and they gave me some compo. This as well as them being way more expensive now has me questioning where I get my games in the future.

It may not be so much of a problem with games for me, but when they announce PS5 and New Xbox pre-orders, are they gonna charge the full amount months prior to release? Bareing in mind, systems likely to be sold out pre-order....

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
I rarely order from them since they moved their postage options to Prime.

Now I won't be pre-ordering with them either.

They'd better give notice if they plan to take for existing pre-orders.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Well there goes pre-ordering on Amazon, such a shame. loved pre-ordering on announcement and then not paying till release, the price guarantee usually took it online with other places by release.

Where's the next best place to go?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I have the Amazon CC, so I get 5% cash back. But no point putting in a pre-order more than a week in advance to make sure I get release day shipping (assuming it's not a Limited Edition).

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't that big of a deal imo. Just means instead of preordering games months in advance you leave it until a few days before I comes out

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my pity goes to all those CSAs that will have to explain the change to a horde of pissed of customers.

also,does this means that the "lower price guaranteed" policy is also gone too?

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks but I can kinda understand the reasoning behind it. Personally I'm not affected as I don't preorder stuff anyway.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Whilst this is a negative overall, personally I prefer this since I have a better idea of my finances if the money goes out on order.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a odd business decision as pre-ording sort of became impulse buying for many as you did not have to worry about being charged immediately.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Amazon US doesn't do this. If so I probably won't ever preorder anything again ( not just games).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This is essentially the only reason I pre-order anything on Amazon. I guess they'd be doing me a favor. Because I fundamentally don't like them as a company, and this would get me to order those type of items elsewhere (which is what I should be doing anyways).

It isn't that big of a deal imo. Just means instead of preordering games months in advance you leave it until a few days before I comes out

Yeah. It's really about whether this is a pre-cursor to something more. If it starts to applying to hardware, it's a huge problem. Because those type of things sell out long before launches.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea I pre ordered Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame on 4K the other day and wondered why they tried to charge me as soon as

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've been doing some digging and spoke to Amazon who've confirmed this is now the case in the UK but couldn't comment on other regions. Charged 2-5 days after ordering. Apparently the rationale behind the change was due to folks cancelling Limited Editions close to release - not sure I buy that being the sole reason but very well may have been a factor.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Are they charging people now for existing preorders as well? Or is this just for ones that are placed from now going forward?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing some digging and spoke to Amazon who've confirmed this is now the case in the UK but couldn't comment on other regions. Charged 2-5 days after ordering. Apparently the rationale behind the change was due to folks cancelling Limited Editions close to release - not sure I buy that being the sole reason but very well may have been a factor.

I don't understand why they would care if someone cancels. Can they not just sell the item to someone else?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I stopped using Amazon when they f*cked up with Nintendo and wasn't able to sell Switch game/hardware, now I have much better promotions on Fnac.
I pre-ordered so many games 2/3 months ago and this would have screwed me so much.