• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Amazon have never been competitive for prices here, only get games to you on release day itself (if you are lucky) so why on earth people use them I will never understand. Support smaller, cheaper businesses.
Smaller businesses are a rip off here in the USA... Amazon has release day delivery and is normally cheaper during sales than all other sources.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Pre ordered a comic book omnibus from Amazon UK, and money's already been taken from my account. Omnibus isn't out until 25th.

Last edited:

SoldToIna

Banned
Jun 5, 2019
it takes around 5 days after the order for them to charge
Oh interesting. This doesn't really annoy me that much, because it takes all but 30 seconds to cancel an order and get a refund.

With games sending across DLC and physical items early as pre-order incentives, it makes sense they charge upon the pre-order, to prevent people abusing the system.

I have to admit, I pre-ordered Hitman 2 just so I could play the Sniper Assassin level early, and then cancelled my pre-order, so I'm part of the problem this is trying to solve. I imagine going forward, that could not happen, as Amazon would now check whether I claimed the DLC code. If I did, no refund, as I've started using the product.

Razorable

Jun 6, 2019
I'm honestly fine with this, but its understandable why some wouldn't be.
I preordered Let's Go Eevee with the Pokeball duing a pricing error last year and had to hold that amount to one side for months on end, i'd much rather pay for the item then and there and not have to worry about it for months on end.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly fine with this, but its understandable why some wouldn't be.
I preordered Let's Go Eevee with the Pokeball duing a pricing error last year and had to hold that amount to one side for months on end, i'd much rather pay for the item then and there and not have to worry about it for months on end.
what i did was put the money i needed to pay off a preorder as amazon gift credit when i wanted to pay off a preorder in advance

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are actually upset that when they pre-order thery are charged right away? As long as you can still get a refund before using the item I see no issue at all.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
People are actually upset that when they pre-order thery are charged right away? As long as you can still get a refund before using the item I see no issue at all.
I mean, some people might not want that charge on their cards yet? Then have to wait for days for their money to be released. Why would anyone want to deal with that. I pre order a bunch of games i may want. But trim them down later on. Hell if i get charged for 5 games that aren't even out yet.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Amazon.co.uk claims it was a billing error
yea amazon is funny^^ billing error ...more like backpedalling.

Since the microsoft blacklash with always online back then i realised that we have a voice. Iam 100% sure if nobody had said anything here amazon would have made this standard!

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
billing error ...more like backpedalling.

Since the microsoft blacklash with always online back then i realised that we have a voice. Iam 100% sure if nobody had said anything here amazon would have made this standard!
I'm just saying this is the line they have been using.

Here's the email I recieved :

Hello,

We are contacting you about a recent error on your account relating to your Amazon order #000-000000-0000000. Your payment card was charged before your pre-order item was dispatched.

If you wish to pay only at the time of dispatch, you may cancel your pre-order to get a full refund. If you place a new pre-order for the same item we will only charge you once your item dispatches. If you take no action, then your item will be dispatched as normal.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that can't accept incoming e-mail. Please don't reply to this message.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I thought there was an eu law that stopped this. Also what's stopping you cancelling the pre order even after they've charged you. They would legally have to give you your money back

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I placed a preorder for Star Wars on the US site the other day and wasn't charged. It looks it won't happen after all. Good stuff.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm Ive not recieved an email yet, though i did already cancel the preorder i got charged for. Good news though.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's no way this was an error. I had a web chat with them and they confirmed that they were doing it to 'improve the customer experience' or some such nonsense.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just received an email from them stating the same about an order of mine (UK customer).

Hello,

We are contacting you about a recent error on your account relating to your Amazon order #xxxxxxxxxx. Your payment card was charged before your pre-order item was dispatched.

If you wish to pay only at the time of dispatch, you may cancel your pre-order to get a full refund. If you place a new pre-order for the same item we will only charge you once your item dispatches. If you take no action, then your item will be dispatched as normal.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's no way this was an error. I had a web chat with them and they confirmed that they were doing it to 'improve the customer experience' or some such nonsense.
Yeah they told me over the phone the same.

They either used that lie to save face before or they walked back on the trial.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Amazon MX is advertising E3 pre-orders (~$5 off) and specifically saying you won't be charger until the item ships.

NY2dMBa.png

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Amazon MX is advertising E3 pre-orders (~$5 off) and specifically saying you won't be charger until the item ships.

NY2dMBa.png
Thanks god, and looks like Amazon Mexico are doing his job adding the games recently announced in their catalog, they are usually slower than Amazon US adding the games. I just pre-ordered The Witcher, Spyro, and Ni No Kuni on Switch :')

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In mobile you have to option "reserve" and pre order. Dunno what's called in other language in italy its prenota and pre ordina and a rough translate gave me reserve for the first one.
There are a lot of topic in italian forum about this and how to avoid to pay when pre ordering.

Maybe an italian thing? Don't have that button on my Amazon.de account, not on the website nor in the app. Only option is to add items to a "bookmark". But stuff isn't reserved for you on that, items can get out of stock while they are on your list.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe an italian thing? Don't have that button on my Amazon.de account, not on the website nor in the app. Only option is to add items to a "bookmark". But stuff isn't reserved for you on that, items can get out of stock while they are on your list.
Dunno in desktop i have the classic add to the cart and pre order, we have the older UI version of Amazon in Italy maybe it's because of that.

Dec 3, 2018
Sorry to bump an old thread but has this been re-reverted? My boyfriend had to change the payment method for his preorder of zelda because he changed bank accounts and they've charged his account the full 70 quid. He went on amazon support and after received the following email after:

LaWSRQO_d.jpg

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry to bump an old thread but has this been re-reverted? My boyfriend had to change the payment method for his preorder of zelda because he changed bank accounts and they've charged his account the full 70 quid. He went on amazon support and after received the following email after:

LaWSRQO_d.jpg
What the fuck is going on with Amazon. It's a ridiculous policy.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

LaWSRQO_d.jpg
Hmm, that wording sounds like its still a standard pre-authorization, where Amazon asks permission to charge the full amount ahead of time with the bank.
This is normal* procedure unless your boyfriend actually has been charged in full (and its not just a pending charge which will be released ~24-72h from now).

* The most common pre-authorization amount is a $0 amount, but putting the full order amount into a pending hold is also possible, basically they want to make sure the full amount of money is present - sometimes the case when dealing with new payment methods to reduce fraud risk (aka. he changed bank accounts).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
Hmm, that wording sounds like its still a standard pre-authorization, where Amazon asks permission to charge the full amount ahead of time with the bank.
This is normal* procedure unless your boyfriend actually has been charged in full (and its not just a pending charge which will be released ~24-72h from now).

* The most common pre-authorization amount is a $0 amount, but putting the full order amount into a pending hold is also possible, basically they want to make sure the full amount of money is present - sometimes the case when dealing with new payment methods to reduce fraud risk (aka. he changed bank accounts).

The full amount was charged after it sitting as pending in his account for 5 days. Seems like either this is another 'error' with the amazon rep getting it wrong and not fixing it, or they're trying this again.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW at least UK Amazon doesn't seem any different (eg. they charge on shipping). Have made several preorders recently of various products that aren't charged, some due very soon and some in several months time. The closest one should get charged tomorrow by my calculations.