• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And before anyone says anything no this is NOT a re-adaption of the books.

The press release confirms this an original story set *before* LOTR.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The check must have been huge for the Tolkien estate to change their stance. Amazon wants that Game Of Thrones money.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord without being based on the story they are really going to Game of Thronesify it aren't they

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gkVXh5g.gif

Oct 25, 2017
And before anyone says anything no this is NOT a re-adaption of the books.

The press release confirms this an original story set *before* LOTR.

Not exactly original, it seems.

"We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings," said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. "Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien's original writings."

Something new, but still based on Tolkien's voluminous writings.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Here's hoping it is good and doesn't come across as shitty fan fiction like the SoM/W games.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how far before Fellowship it'll take place. Like before or after The Hobbit? I'd assume the safe choice would be shortly before and then if they wanted to, coinciding with The Hobbit if not WAAAAY before it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
They aren't doing Silmarillion, right?

... RIGHT?

How much money did they give Christopher?

Oct 25, 2017
Original as in it's not a retelling of the LOTR story, but a "new" story (new to the medium of tv/film).

The initial assumption was this would be a re-adaption of LOTR, but this is a tv series set before LOTR.

Right, but I think it stands to clarify for people not as well versed in LOTR lore that Tolkien wrote so much more, both in actual book form and in notes, about Middle-earth, and that's where this TV series will start. It depends on what story they're going with, but Tolkien's work on it might be bare bones or could be fleshed out a bit more. We'll have to wait and see.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
"Previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien's original writings."

Please Turin Turambar and the ballad of Beren and Luthien!!

I am setting myself for dissapointment :(

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if they're not straight up adapting LOTR again, I guess that's a little promising at least. Still extremely skeptical.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So it's LOTR fan fiction like all those dumb video games?

I think I'll pass.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I might be completely oblivious, but what is Amazon's track record for creating shows?

I mean, this isn't HBO we're talking about here.