• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the corsair and arctis PC specific aren't great to use with ps4/xb1, they can sorta work wired but you are really better off buying something like the console specific turtle beaches or Sony gold/platinums, as they work wired or wireless and have party/game chat interfaces built into the console for those headsets.

the fire 7" is a great deal (@ $21 with stand) for reading ebooks, comics, and watching videos. you can side load google play and install practically anything, I have comic book reader, fbreader, VLC, netflix, etc on my 8" for a year. It is slow so I wouldn't expect greatness but for reading/watching 1-3 hours a day its fine, and battery life is pretty good too.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No. Make people feel guilty for crossing the (virtual) picket line.
Crossing the picket line is a term for when temp/non-union workers go to work while people are striking, has nothing to do with consumers. Really, ordering things from Amazon seems the best thing to do during a strike - if they get less sales than normal, then the strike doesn't affect them, because they don't need all those people who are striking. If they get totally swamped and don't have the workers to deal with the orders due to the strike, and customers get in big hissy fits over errors or slow shipping or whatever, THAT will affect the corporation in the way that the strike wants.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the corsair and arctis PC specific aren't great to use with ps4/xb1, they can sorta work wired but you are really better off buying something like the console specific turtle beaches or Sony gold/platinums, as they work wired or wireless and have party/game chat interfaces built into the console for those headsets.
TB is kinda meh as most of those don't have chatmix either, I'm currently using Plantronics Rigs 800hs and for the most part they are good. Pretty much if the headset dongle doesn't have digital audio out, it won't have chat mix (unless its the golds)

Jul 15, 2019
if you are using this with ps4, please note Arctis 7 does NOT have PS4 chatmix (manually mixing game and party chat volume).

I've used the special yellow version from Best buy for ps4 before. It works but all my friends complained my mic would randomly have bursts of feedback. Happened enough that I had to stop using them

the fire 7" is a great deal (@ $21 with stand) for reading ebooks, comics, and watching videos. you can side load google play and install practically anything, I have comic book reader, fbreader, VLC, netflix, etc on my 8" for a year. It is slow so I wouldn't expect greatness but for reading/watching 1-3 hours a day its fine, and battery life is pretty good too.

what do u guys recommend then for ps4 wireless headsets? i am looking at the hyper x cloud flights now $90 amazon prime day

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought two more stream decks. $99 is pretty solid for the 15 key version.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
what do u guys recommend then for ps4 wireless headsets? i am looking at the hyper x cloud flights now $90 amazon prime day
never used hyper x clouds before but the golds is probably your cheapest bet (short battery life though). I'm currently sticking with Plantronics Rigs 800HS, getting ~20+ hrs battery life. IMO I'd say you're best bet is (if you are in the US) to go to a best buy get a headset to test as they have 14 day return policy with no restocking fee. You'll want to make sure that they're comfortable and work properly.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Amazon is really stepping their game up in Australia! Very glad to see so many gaming deals on there lately.

The PSVR bundle for $220 is absolutely amazing value.

Problem is I'm in the UK right now, and the bundle here is about 1.5x the price. Why did Prime Day have to be this month

OT but Echos are half price, and I've always been interested, should I go for it?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm a bit disappointed in the Kindle Paperwhite/Oasis prices. I was mainly wanting to try to pick one of those up but haven't seen a deal tempting enough to make me bite. I absolutely refuse to get the "with special offers" version so they are still quite expensive for a pure e-reader.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
After my friend told me to calm the fuck down on the ultra wide pc monitor due to gpu capacity and pixel count, I opted to instead put the best 1440p monitor on price watch to see if it drops to my desired price or lower. Hopefully as we approach black Friday.

I'm building a new pc for cyberpunk so all my current pc stuff will remain at my longterm house which I'll visit when I get off time from projects, but my new main pc I'll build plus new accessories will travel with me.

Which video card do you have? I am running 3440x1440 with a 1080Ti and there is no issues at least with 60fps and it can handle more. This is generally on some of the highest settings (some of the dubious God Ray stuff and crazy shadows aside).

Out of curiosity, which monitor are you looking at?

Edit: Alternatively I was looking at this one as well. Seems to be quite good for the price.

LG 32GK850G-B

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
haven't seen anything i want or need except... an SD card for my Switch, I guess. i feel obligated to use this $10 whole foods coupon too, lol.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'm a bit disappointed in the Kindle Paperwhite/Oasis prices was mainly wanting to try to pick one of those up but haven't seen a deal tempting enough to make me bite. I absolutely refuse to get the "with special offers" version so they are still quite expensive for a pure e-reader.
For the Fire and a proper tablet I fully agree

For the actual e-reader kindle: special offers are actually pretty okay. It is just a lock screen that sometimes has a book you actually want. On principle I don't like it, but in practice it is completely inoffensive and occasionally good.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
After my friend told me to calm the fuck down on the ultra wide pc monitor due to gpu capacity and pixel count, I opted to instead put the best 1440p monitor on price watch to see if it drops to my desired price or lower. Hopefully as we approach black Friday.

But I went ahead and bought the best gaming keyboard I could find which had a sale, and the best gaming mouse plus pad.

I'm building a new pc for cyberpunk so all my current pc stuff will remain at my longterm house which I'll visit when I get off time from projects, but my new main pc I'll build plus new accessories will travel with me.

3440x1440 is about 60% of the effective resolution of 4k and plenty sharp. Not sure why you wouldn't get one.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Crossing the picket line is a term for when temp/non-union workers go to work while people are striking, has nothing to do with consumers. Really, ordering things from Amazon seems the best thing to do during a strike - if they get less sales than normal, then the strike doesn't affect them, because they don't need all those people who are striking. If they get totally swamped and don't have the workers to deal with the orders due to the strike, and customers get in big hissy fits over errors or slow shipping or whatever, THAT will affect the corporation in the way that the strike wants.
Yeah. I've kind of been wondering why the folk organizing the strike want people to NOT buy stuff

Lots of people buy stuff: Amazon's infrastructure falls off and lots of people get angry about having their five gallons of lube delayed a whole two days. Amazon need to address their workers

Nobody buys anything: Amazon aren't idiots and know that boycotts don't work. They attribute it to something else. And their fulfillment centers barely notice any strain with 90% of the workforce missing

I would not at all put it past me to be missing some nuance here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Joycons are showing up as about 10 dollars off for me, I just got a neon pink / neon green for $60:
The advertised price displays at $69, but there is a note below that saying my price at checkout will be $59.99 (and it was).

Also, please vote for representatives that will change the law so that workers must be paid for all times they are required to be present, even if it's "unrelated to their primary duties". It is bullshit to require employees to wait in line for a metal detector and not pay them. Overturn Integrity Staffing Solutions, Inc. v. Busk. ( https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/high-court-amazon-doesnt-pay-workers-going-security-lines )

Boycotts can be effective but better laws protect everyone.
Tempting, but after recently experiencing the drift, I question how good these new ones would be. Any idea if it's been lessened since launch?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
For the Fire and a proper tablet I fully agree

For the actual e-reader kindle: special offers are actually pretty okay. It is just a lock screen that sometimes has a book you actually want. On principle I don't like it, but in practice it is completely inoffensive and occasionally good.

I completely understand but for me personally its more about the principal. It irks me that they do that with a device I purchased and own and then require me to pay money for the privilege of not seeing ads on it. If I have the option I'll get the one that does what I want it to do.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people here with fingers in their ears. Even Wario stopped posting deals on his twitter account.

Please let us not disturb or shame those that do not care for fair working practices. Its amazon, the biggest company on the planet, what difference does it matter if one or two forum posters buy. Everyone is doing it and the person walking 10 miles for my shit aint me, so screw it. Also, stop the preaching and telling people what to do or buy in this free country. Its the amazon employee's fault they didint study or are too dumb to get a good job.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Please let us not disturb or shame those that do not care for fair working practices. Its amazon, the biggest company on the planet, what difference does it matter if one or two forum posters buy. Everyone is doing it and the person walking 10 miles for my shit aint me, so screw it. Also, stop the preaching and telling people what to do or buy in this free country. Its the amazon employee's fault they didint study or are too dumb to get a good job.

Bruh I'm just ignoring that stuff he has every right to talk about it and I've personally made peace with the idea that if I buy something it's during a time one of the centers is striking (I personally will choose "no rush" shipping so that it ships out outside of the strike period I get it doesn't fix anything but hey). However, what you're saying is going way wayyyy too far. Under no circumstances should you be belittling and attacking people for seeking humane working conditions or equating those conditions with stupidity or lack of effort on their part.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in the sales too
Welcome to Prime Day?

Black Friday is all about selling people the shit they've wanted all year but were waiting on a sale for
Prime Day is all about selling people the shit they haven't wanted all year but will now grab because it is on sale.... so that Amazon et al can make room on their shelves for the stuff they'll sell on Black Friday

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
Yeah. I've kind of been wondering why the folk organizing the strike want people to NOT buy stuff

Do you have a link to the organizers asking people to not buy stuff? All I've found is that Verge article saying that a boycott isn't what the organizers are calling for, and that striking workers have mixed opinions about whether they want people to buy stuff or not.

I haven't seen much additional coverage, other than notes that the walkout is scheduled to last for six hours (I feel kind of weird wagging fingers about crossing picket lines when the picket lines aren't actually going to be set up for most of Prime Day), and that it's about working conditions rather than pay (Amazon committed to a fifteen dollar per hour minimum wage last year).

I see a lot of well intentioned people talking about solidarity, which is ... great. But I don't see a lot of people with links to original sources or the demands of the people actually organizing the walkout, which is ... disappointing.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
I'm a bit disappointed in the Kindle Paperwhite/Oasis prices. I was mainly wanting to try to pick one of those up but haven't seen a deal tempting enough to make me bite. I absolutely refuse to get the "with special offers" version so they are still quite expensive for a pure e-reader.

Honestly the special offers are extremely unobtrusive. I get them on my kindle lock screen and it's usually a lot of bad romance novels with buff dudes, so it's actually kind of fun to read the awful descriptions for those books.

Slackerish

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Bought 2x Fire HD 10 Tablets w/o offers, a case for 1 of them and Spider-man into the Spider-Verse 4k. Didn't really see anything else so far that was on my list.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I view it as a form of thread derailment. Frankly, I'd prefer that ResetEra just add a feature for events like this that required thread creators to tag the thread so a sticky message would appear at the top of each page of the thread with a link to the boycott discussion. For example, maybe have a regular post button, as well as one with more attention called to it that asked if the thread's purpose revolved a company with an active boycott/protest campaign. I think the discussion could be a lot more constructive, and you'd probably get word out better that way.

The whole idea is that you get aware with what you're supporting. No need to hide the facts in another thread / section.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Prime Day?

Black Friday is all about selling people the shit they've wanted all year but were waiting on a sale for
Prime Day is all about selling people the shit they haven't wanted all year but will now grab because it is on sale.... so that Amazon et al can make room on their shelves for the stuff they'll sell on Black Friday
only things I got was the nvme and some detergent (which ships in august with S&S) but yeah deals were still better than I expected based upon previous ones. It should really be renamed Amazon's garage sale

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Bought 2x Fire HD 10 Tablets w/o offers, a case for 1 of them and Spider-man into the Spider-Verse 4k. Didn't really see anything else so far that was on my list.

unless you really need 2 i would have bought an ipad 9.7 for that price (well the often sale for 249 and if you can get more discounts). much better, and i hate apple.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
Tempting, but after recently experiencing the drift, I question how good these new ones would be. Any idea if it's been lessened since launch?
Yeah, it feels like a punch in the gut to be rewarding Nintendo for making such low quality peripherals that I need new ones after less than 2 years. As far as I know the new ones aren't any better. I already bought both a Hori D-Pad controller and an adapter to use a Dualshock 4 controller instead, and I reccomend doing that if you haven't already.

Unfortunately for me, the R button on my right joycon doesn't register well lately, and I play a lot of handheld mode. Also, Mario Maker 2 only supports joycons in co-op builder mode. My only consolation is that hopefully Nintendo isn't making much profit on these joycons.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is the latest iteration of the tablet...is it still that bad?

Also FYI, these are also loaded with spam/ads when using it for general use.

i just looked yesterday for a geekbench, by that metric the 2019 fire 7 cpu is 40-47% faster than the prior revision cpu. at least it's some improvement

still of course for 20-30 bucks, it's probably the difference between slow and really slow.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

You could buy the cheaper model with special offers and if it bothers you when you use it pay the balance to remove them. You would not pay any more this way than if you went straight for the more expensive model without special offers. It is for you to decide how much you would wish to spend on a Kindle but the sale price on the newest iteration of the Paperwhite is a good deal imho. I bought one at launch for over £100 and have not regretted it a jot.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up 2 Pixel 3a XLs with the $100 gift card offers. The wife and I have been sitting on our Iphone SEs for a while now waiting for an upgrade. We're mostly in it for the camera and that seems to be a huge selling point with these at the price.

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
Not amazon, but bought a Ryzen 2700 with mobo combo in newegg for $200.

Just need... everything else.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth the regular kindle now has backlighting on it.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
FYI you can get ads removed from your kindle (for free) pretty easily by contacting customer support and simply asking. I did it today, they removed them for free for being a "good customer" /shrug

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018

That sounds like some bullshit rationale to justify you purchasing stuff from amazon.

And crossing the picket line has, at least here in the UK, been used to describe those who ignore a strike and still use a business or facility etc.

This is what you are enabling

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then Amazon gives out $1 credit and uses all the money they just made to bring in more automation.

THube

Oct 27, 2017

Wildly uncalled for.