• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Was this one of those $12k superzoom?

No lol. Honestly I wouldn't have even wasted my time with that, its a very specialized lens and the potential resell market for it is very small. Whoever ordered one of those is gonna have a hard time reselling it unless they sell it for like 50% of retail or some crazy shit.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Despite my charges being reversed, the other lens is now showing as shipped! Maybe its happening after all!!!!!

are you sure they weren't hold charges?

every damn time there's a glitched deal people freak out over charges disappearing, because most stores pre-charge then actually charge you when it ships, and i have to explain it every time

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
They do this for quite a few items. Generally it is mentioned on the item page, or at least when Ordering that the item is shipping in it's original packaging. Presumably so you can choose a non-deliver to your door type option.

You have to think of it from a bit of an actuarial point of view as well. How many $200 speakers would have to be stolen to justify paying to have them in Amazon boxes (actual material cost + the physical act of packing and sealing them).

When I bought the Sennheiser HD 599, it has an option to ship in an Amazon box. Of course I would choose that since I don't want it exposed.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, this seems like a bad idea on Amazon's part. I just got my Sonos One delivered. But it was not inside any box. It was just the Sonos One product package with a delivery sticker on it. So if I wasn't home, people would have seen a $200 smart speaker just sitting on my front door begging to be stolen....
yeah I had this happen with my.....32" 4k monitor. I left work immediately after I saw it was delivered.

There's usually a message under the item on the last page of checkout that says "Item will be shipped in packaging that reveals the contents. Select this option to ship in Amazon packaging to hide the content" or something like that, with a checkbox you can tick to enable it (for free). It's really small text and easy to miss.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Hmm, this seems like a bad idea on Amazon's part. I just got my Sonos One delivered. But it was not inside any box. It was just the Sonos One product package with a delivery sticker on it. So if I wasn't home, people would have seen a $200 smart speaker just sitting on my front door begging to be stolen....

I order a vinyl record and they just slapped a sticker on the record sleeve. It came all bent and warped.

There's usually a message under the item on the last page of checkout that says "Item will be shipped in packaging that reveals the contents. Select this option to ship in Amazon packaging to hide the content" or something like that, with a checkbox you can tick to enable it (for free). It's really small text and easy to miss.

I have seen this but it is definitely not the case for records and things that are fragile. That message usually pops up for things that are already in a really secure box like tv's, etc. that are already filled with styrofoam.

Last edited:

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

I've been buying shit on amazon for years and have never seen this. Game changer.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
6Z14JN1.png

Right, that's why I posted it. Go on Chat Support and hopefully get it.
Didn't work for me
Cost of doing business

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's not Amazon's fault you didn't read the page before clicking through...

Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not Amazon's fault you didn't read the page before clicking through...
It really should be more prominent. They'll pop up modal windows to try and up sell me a ton of things. Might as well try and make that stand out more than just some text that is easy to miss. It especially is going to be easy to miss when you're trying to get something before it sells out on sale. And frankly, it's irresponsible to do in the first place.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It really should be more prominent. They'll pop up modal windows to try and up sell me a ton of things. Might as well try and make that stand out more than just some text that is easy to miss. It especially is going to be easy to miss when you're trying to get something before it sells out on sale. And frankly, it's irresponsible to do in the first place.
You are overselling this.

It is plenty prominent and easy to see.

Oct 28, 2017
You are overselling this.

It is plenty prominent and easy to see.
Cutting into a web page to make it look prominent is deceptive. It is much more obscure when you look at the full page a product can have with a ton of details all over the page.

I'm not saying they aren't telling users. I'm saying it is a detail that is more deserving of more prominent communication. And it's something that simply should not be done on a $200+ product. People assume the product will be covered and aren't likely going to scan every line to ensure they aren't going to hide it.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
received my two fireTV sticks today 1080 and 4k, the 4k is definetly better then the 1080, but both destroy my gen 2 and gen 1 firesticks. This upgrade costed me like $15 out of pocket. with 1 trade-in and 1 selling one ebay for $20.

My echo show 5 with dot trade in, wont come until next Tuesday. for the trade in, I'll will be sending in a gen 3 dot instead of gen 2, "hope" they wont mind. If they send it back, I'll just ebay it.

also ordered AA batteries and they sent me AAA, they issues a refund and told me keep the batteries. Nice.

None of my big stuff I wanted, went on sale for cheap, but I upgraded Alexa in my house for cheap and got free batteries. so I'm happy.

edit: plus free 3 months to amazon's kindle books(still available to 31st)

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Got a good chunk of my haul today. Still have some cameras on the way/in process. Giving at least a few of them to family and friends and then selling the rest to buy an OLED before Death Stranding/Last of Us Pt 2/FF7R come out.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a Ring Video Doorbell 2 on Monday and it arrived Tuesday afternoon. Installed it when I got home from work and have been playing with it for the past day or so. I'm really impressed with it. Works well, seems speedy enough (thankfully my router is close to my front door) and the motion notifications are great. I used the free Echo Dot as a chime, which is sitting in my kitchen. Pretty happy with it so far.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Got a Canon 1DX Mark II and some L-series lenses. Thank you Era. Always dreamed of super nice equipment.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Canon 1DX Mark II and some L-series lenses. Thank you Era. Always dreamed of super nice equipment.
Congrats! I was planning on buying a RX1R II sometime before my baby is due later this year. I'm in disbelief. Like everybody else I figured they would cancel the orders. Funny thing is I stayed up especially to see if there would be any crazy deals like the stacking coupon deal from target last prime day. Little did I know lol

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats! I was planning on buying a RX1R II sometime before my baby is due later this year. I'm in disbelief. Like everybody else I figured they would cancel the orders. Funny thing is I stayed up especially to see if there would be any crazy deals like the stacking coupon deal from target last prime day. Little did I know lol
Yup, I just wanted to see if they'd have a sell on the Mortal Kombat 11 dlc. Truly serendipitous.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Guys help I gotta spend this 10 dollars what should I use it on?! Honestly with my gift cards and promo credit I'll spend up to 50 need some ideas.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
how much were those sony cameras selling for? Was it a glitch?

I want to know so I can also feel the pain of missing out on a deal.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
My echo show 5 with dot trade in, wont come until next Tuesday. for the trade in, I'll will be sending in a gen 3 dot instead of gen 2, "hope" they wont mind. If they send it back, I'll just ebay it.

I "hope" you enjoy being charged the $27.00 you received in promotional credit, because that's exactly what they'll do.

If you selected Instant Payment and received a promotional discount toward the purchase of a new qualifying Echo device and you cancel the trade-in, your trade-in is not received within 35 calendar days, or your trade-in is rejected, then you authorize us to charge your payment method for the amount of the promotional credit used.

The Gen 3 Echo Dot isn't eligible for trade-in at all. And lol if you think they can't tell the difference.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I love how these wonderful US Postal service employees deliver mail to Whereeverthefuckiamnot, Georgia.

$80 worth of merchandise that I have to track down as the US Postal service, my apartment complex, and Amazon play "WHY DON'T YOU CALL THEM?" tomorrow.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't just those sony cameras. that camera was just the first one slickdeals discovered. It was on pretty much all photography/opitcal stuff

There were 2k and up cameras on this thing, including a ton of expensive lenses.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
No lol. Honestly I wouldn't have even wasted my time with that, its a very specialized lens and the potential resell market for it is very small. Whoever ordered one of those is gonna have a hard time reselling it unless they sell it for like 50% of retail or some crazy shit.

50% of that is 6k. DIdn't the price glitch have it at 98 dollars?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
50% of that is 6k. DIdn't the price glitch have it at 98 dollars?

yes, but what I was saying is that someone is going to have a hard time trying to find someone to sell that thing to. Id rather just order a bunch of stuff that will be easier to move if i were a flipper. You'd probably have to slash the price to like 6k and even then you might have a hard time finding someone willing to drop that kind of money on it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
yes, but what I was saying is that someone is going to have a hard time trying to find someone to sell that thing to. Id rather just order a bunch of stuff that will be easier to move if i were a flipper.

one sale and you make a 5900 dollar profit even at 50%. If you order a ton of those other cameras, you have to sell a lot of them to reach that number of profit, that will also include shipping fees, plus the entry, which with the 5900 dollar profit it's a 90 dollar entry, versus the profit on multiple cameras, which is multiples of the 90 dollar entry.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to suppress hope my back-ordered to early August a7 III will actually go through. Didn't get any orders in for things that were still in stock (should have looked at the SlickDeals thread more closely..).

Don't understand why they haven't cancelled anything yet giving how much expensive stuff is still going out daily, but it's got to come at some point, no? Or they are really just going to nearly give away their entire camera inventory for some unfathomable reason.

That aside, basically just got the good bundle/trade in deals on Amazon stuff.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
one sale and you make a 5900 dollar profit even at 50%. If you order a ton of those other cameras, you have to sell a lot of them to reach that number of profit, that will also include shipping fees, plus the entry, which with the 5900 dollar profit it's a 90 dollar entry, versus the profit on multiple cameras, which is multiples of the 90 dollar entry.

Yeah, but many people actually want those cheaper a6500s and a7rii and a7iii tho.

i think it would be WAY easier to sell, say, 4 Sony A7iiis for a total of 7 grand than to try and sell just one of those giant Canon astro L lenses for 6k.

There's simply far, far more demand for those.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I had my wife pick the cameras up at the ups store and she texted me back saying the UPS lady said that "the source flagged the packages" and they would not let her take them home. My heart sank when I read the text. Luckily she was just messing with me lol

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
If you were flipping a more generalized lense like a 24-70 would move way faster than the 800mm one. Those mirrorless cameras are pretty much the biggest thing for consumer and hobbyists at the moment so they're a quick flip too.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Sale on the Sennheiser HD599s ended 6 hours ago, but I just checked and they're still 99 dollars. They're not a Prime deal anymore though, so no telling when they'll jump back up in price. 598s and 579s were recently killed off by Sennheiser, and I'm wondering if these are next to get the axe. Fuck it, I'm getting a pair.
I really wish I'd have checked this thread. I'd have gotten some 599s. Fuck.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
If you were flipping a more generalized lense like a 24-70 would move way faster than the 800mm one. Those mirrorless cameras are pretty much the biggest thing for consumer and hobbyists at the moment so they're a quick flip too.

I get that but I'm saying you can flip the other one flip at 50% off and it's 6000 dollar profit, vs. loading up on the other cameras. I'm just saying one sale and that's it at a staggering 50% off