• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TurkishDelight

C++ Developer at Microsoft
Banned
Oct 5, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1620095103795601409

Embracer sold to Amazon btw
Expect movies,TV shows,multiple games I guess

news came around when Embracer asked Warner Bros to quit LOTR & Hobbit franchises so they can remake/make sequels them

Warner Bros. Exit Talks Begin For ‘The Lord of the Rings’ & ‘The Hobbit’ Franchises (Exclusive) - Fellowship of Fans

Exit talks have begun between Middle-earth Enterprises (MEE) and Warner Brothers for the movie/ film rights for the 'Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' franchises. MEE have requested for WB to let go of the rights and exit their deal by the end of 2023 so they can begin the search and sale for

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That figure is quoted nowhere in the article. Where did you get it?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, where did you read with the 600 million?
It's in the second article

Embracer Group just sold their 'Tomb Raider' rights to Amazon for a deal that we can exclusively reveal as being approximately a 600 Million overall package making it Amazon's second biggest purchase after purchasing the television rights for 'The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power'. Therefore, this puts into perspective the cost and prices that Embracer maybe looking for.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

It's in the article

Embracer Group just sold their 'Tomb Raider' rights to Amazon for a deal that we can exclusively reveal as being approximately a 600 Million overall package making it Amazon's second biggest purchase after purchasing the television rights for 'The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power'. Therefore, this puts into perspective the cost and prices that Embracer maybe looking for.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
how do you make a Marvel-like franchise that has primarily been focused on 1 single character?

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Are people that interested in Tomb Raider to turn it into a multi spin-off franchise lol

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

The number is in the second article.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Marvel-like seems like a weird way to describe this but I guess it fits. Don't know if tomb raider has that much narrative pull in three different mediums but I guess Phoebe Waller Bridge is on the case

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The second article wasn't added to the OP until later, which is why we asked.

Anyway...This doesn't track at all. The Lord of the Rings rights were sold for $250 million to Amazon, and THR reported this investment to be inferior, if only slightly.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
so embracer bought the tomb raider rights + eidos and crystal and other ip for 300 million, and sold just the tomb raider rights for 600 million dollar? seems like a great deal

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Square Enix be like

jason-bateman-oh-shit.gif

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
So Embracer bought Crystal and Tomb Raider for 300 million and then sold the rights to Tomb Raider for 600 million???

Edit: beaten lol
What a deal

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The entire rights or just tv/movie rights??? Kinda impressed how this franchise managed to keep surviving after barely broke even with the games and its reboot movie.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this website is reputable, but this is gonna need some confirmation. So far nothing on Embracer website.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The second article wasn't added to the OP until later, which is why we asked.

Anyway...This doesn't track at all. The Lord of the Rings rights were sold for $250 million to Amazon, and THR reported this investment to be inferior, if only slightly.

Amazon didn't buy the entire LOTR franchise, only the rights to doing specific TV. Embracer owns the LOTR franchise

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Amazon didn't buy the entire LOTR franchise, only the rights to doing specific TV. Embracer owns the LOTR franchise

My point is that THR didn't say Amazon was buying the entire Tomb Raider franchise. They said Amazon was making one of its biggest investments after that in LOTR. At this point, I'm more inclined to believe them than this fansite.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
The number is pretty crazy for a franchise like this. At least, this explains better the Phoebe Waller-Bridge Tomb Raider TV series supposedly in development.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
It's in the second article

Thanks. OP added the source later, didn't see it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If this is figure is true, Square Enix executive are extremely extremely not fit for their job.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not a whole lot there to mine from for adaptations unlike Marvel, meaning they would have to make up the overwhelming majority of its expanded universe from scratch, but whatever.

If that amount is true, then Embracer made out like bandits by selling Tomb Raider by itself for twice what they paid for everything they bought off of SE.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing this news, are there people still believing that Square Enix isn't grossly mismanaged ?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
My point is that THR didn't say Amazon was buying the entire Tomb Raider franchise. They said Amazon was making one of its biggest investments after that in LOTR. At this point, I'm more inclined to believe them than this fansite.

Ohhhh, yes, I see what you mean now. I thought that was from the THR report but you're right, it's not

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't think it's probably even worth 1/10 that amount?

Like how many failed reboots have we had this franchise?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
A brand new AAA TR is going to cost $150 million or more
A new movie just the same or slightly more if they are going with production value and a TV Series with an avg 10/15 million episode will easily put the all these projects above $500 million....so this figure might not be that high if we include everything and marketing.