• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Nintendo tries everything to hinder the sale of used games? That counterfeit argument seems weak and transparent. Why do 3rd Partys not see the need to do that? Why only Nintendo?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This thread is full of misinformation. Nintendo isn't banning used sales, just now they require manual approval when being listed on the Amazon Marketplace. They already implemented this policy years ago for DS and GBA games because of the high amount of counterfeits, but now they are expanding it to all their products.

It's not just because they are greedy and want to stop used sales; they want to stop counterfeits. You can still sell Nintendo products after proving it's an original copy (for example through an invoice).

From the Amazon Forum:
This is utter bullshit. Nintendo had my amazon seller account closed over 10 years ago and i have not been able create another amazon seller account or get mine reinstated ever since. I was selling legit Nintendo items, shit that i personally owned and was no longer using. This never happened to me selling Sony or shit from Microsoft and heck Apple. But god forbid used Nintendo Wii items are sold and my account was banned.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
While it's true that Amazon marketplace has an issue with counterfeits, it's also a huge pain in the ass for all the honest resellers as well, who are most likely in the majority.

I sure hope they don't try to extend this to other websites.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a person who has gotten an counterfeit intem from amazon (a death note nendroid), wish they do this for everything.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
yeah Nintendo's making bank off of those used gba sales
No, but they made money off of the person who bought the game new. It's a fair deal, they re-sold their good, the company still benefited.

Counterfeits never made them any money, they are market disrupters driving down the sale or re-sale value of a good, which lessens the market for the legit creator of the product as well as legit sellers.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I had a bootleg Advance Wars 2 GBA cart and after a year it became glitchy and it wasn't saving properly. I think it's because the cart's battery had a really short life. It was only afterwards that I learnt how to tell the difference.

The less counterfeit/bootleg games, the better. Less confusion.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if you buy a counterfeit ds game say Pokemon, to use on your 3ds it will not work. This happened all the time when I worked at GameStop. Gba-3ds I always had to check for counterfeits.
ooooo, now that makes sense. yeah I could see why they would do it for DS games, especially since they all have serial numbers on the cart that are easy to see.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah I call bullshit on the "Nintendo just want to stop counterfeits"
Because it is total bullshit. I remember when Wii came out and was selling like hotcakes, Nintendo greedy-ass had Amazon remove all 3rd party Wii items from their store. My account was banned as a result of that. I wonder, what counterfeit Wii consoles, games and accessories were being sold then?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems still bad. counterfeits are fine if they work well, you're just paying more for the game this way.
Counterfeits are terrible. A common occurrence people have is buying a copy of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald thinking it's the real legit thing only to find it's not by simply using the DS function Pal Park and watch your save data for your counterfeit Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald be totally erased.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo tries everything to hinder the sale of used games? That counterfeit argument seems weak and transparent. Why do 3rd Partys not see the need to do that? Why only Nintendo?
Probably some combination of factors
1. Nintendo's games (legit and counterfeit) probably sell more in general than third parties' used games
2. If they sell more, they will be counterfeited more often, and justify targeting them alone
3. Some counterfeit carts don't work properly in all scenarios and there may have been enough complaints to warrant a shift in policy
4. Amazon may have decided to ask individual publishers to opt in to the policy and Nintendo was the only one who was interested
5. Amazon and Nintendo have had a tense relationship for years
6. Amazon could be trying to clean up counterfeit goods sold on their entire marketplace and identified used Nintendo titles as an easy thing to fix since they had already done this before to a lesser degree

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I got a counterfeit DS game off eBay once. I had no idea that was even a thing and the instruction manual had the right cover but the inside pages were just random nonsense. It really sucked and I'd like to see that stop. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but who knows.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
This is just brand gating - amazon implement it already for Sony and hundreds of other brands, Nikon, Canon etc etc to stop floods of counterfeit garbage.

The days were you could pop onto amazon marketplace and freely list whatever you want ended a long time ago. This isn't a Nintendo thing lol

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Please someone show me all the counterfeit Switches and Switch Lites flooding Amazon. How about counterfeit 3DSes? You can't, because it hasn't happened, and shoppers would destroy any seller doing it via the ratings system. Sellers that attempt to scam buyers end up having to create new account after new account in an attempt to scam someone new. All Amazon has to do is limit sellers to X amount of sales history and a specific user ratings threshold before allowing them to sell Nintendo items. But that's not what's going on here. What's going on is Nintendo wants to curb used game sales. And Amazon is going along with it.
If Amazon actually cared about counterfeit items they wouldn't have banned my account from reviewing items after I wrote a review of an item they sold me that was an obvious counterfeit (sonicare brush replacement). I tried to warn others off and they silenced me.

Nov 14, 2017
I would normally say the same thing but why no crackdown on other retailers?

It could just be them not happy with amazon in some way though, but honestly the counterfeiter thing seems reasonable.
It's because Amazon are huge. I've heard lots of brands don't like their stuff being sold on Amazon because it means genuine products end up listed alongside counterfeits in the same listing (fakes can be sold from 'other sellers' on the same product page). Of course if you're getting cheap designer clothes / fragrances from Amazon you know they are fake, but you can still understand why the original manufacturers would be upset and want to stop it.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I think that I get what Nintendo's trying to do here: To prevent people from selling counterfeit items.

It usually happens on other places like eBay in which no background checks, etc. of the sort are done.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
How does Nintendo have so much problems with counterfeits. Like do they not have any piracy protections on their consoles?

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recently bought a SOLD BY AMAZON memory card, and it turned out to be fake... Were "Shipped by Amazon" 3rd party fake stock just tossed into the same bin, or something? No QC?

it's crazy, I want to upgrade my switch to a 512 but don't even want to take a chance on amazon. I'm gonna end up paying more and go to Best Buy's just for the piece of mind.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ooooo, now that makes sense. yeah I could see why they would do it for DS games, especially since they all have serial numbers on the cart that are easy to see.

Exactly, I know 3ds has the same numbers and I believe gba had them as well but those were way less common in trade. The key is the numbers on the front sticker needed to match the ones on the back of the cartridge.