• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I recently bought a SOLD BY AMAZON memory card, and it turned out to be fake... Were "Shipped by Amazon" 3rd party fake stock just tossed into the same bin, or something? No QC?
It's because they try to ship from the warehouse closest to you and if that means using one sold by a third party seller, they do it.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Ebay has been overwhelmingly flooded with fakes for every Nintendo from Famicom to DS.

If you know what you're doing you can avoid them but have to wade through hundreds of Chinese pirates and 'indie repros' for every search of Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid.

And of course most people do not know how to identify fakes and end up with pirated junk.

And of course etsy is basically yar har fiddle-dee-dee only.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what this means for new Nintendo games sold on Amazon, by Amazon. Theyve been selling most new games for 50 to match Walmart, but make you add them to your cart before seeing the price. Says they are selling it below what Nintendo wants them to in the text basically lol.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not happy about this, but the truth is Nintendo counterfeits are way too prevalent. I'm afraid to buy DS or GBA games.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point in buying physical if it's going to be a hassle to resell it? GameStop is on its last legs, and if you go through ebay then you have some risks to consider.

Yeah that's why Nintendo sent those C&D orders to Gamestop and Ebay

Oh wait no they didn't

I mean, GameStop is on its way out and sooner or later, it won't make sense for ebay to not have some sort of process for dealing with the deluge of counterfeits that will inevitably come.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no one to blame but Nintendo in this situation, they produced consoles that are easy to run counterfeit games on and they choose to implement this rule. The consumer doesn't really benefit.

Counterfeit products are usually functionally the same to the end consumer, and if on the rare chance your game is broken, you can get a refund. The sales only impacts Nintendo's wallet. What this move will do is put a barrier up for consumers trying to sell used games, you shouldn't have to ask Nintendo for permission to sell something you bought. I don't keep invoices for any games.

Consumers already have protections against counterfeit goods via refunds. This is Nintendo protecting their own ass, while diminishing consumer ownership

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
There's no one to blame but Nintendo in this situation, they produced consoles that are easy to run counterfeit games on and they choose to implement this rule. The consumer doesn't really benefit.

Counterfeit products are usually functionally the same to the end consumer, and if on the rare chance your game is broken, you can get a refund. The sales only impacts Nintendo's wallet. What this move will do is put a barrier up for consumers trying to sell used games, you shouldn't have to ask Nintendo for permission to sell something you bought. I don't keep invoices for any games.

Consumers already have protections against counterfeit goods via refunds. This is Nintendo protecting their own ass, while diminishing consumer ownership
What a long winded way of trying to claim 'measures against theft are anti-consumer'.

When someone buys a pirated game, both the game maker and the buyer are being ripped off.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

I would personally like Nintendo to re-release older runs of games or even partner with Limited Run games to do special re-releases. There is a flood of counterfeit DS games on eBay, there were people even here that were getting scammed by fakes or asking help in determining reals from fake. As of right now there isn't a way without having the game in your hands a definitive way to check, there are some signs that would tip off the possibility of a game being a fake.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Aside from the debate over Nintendo's motives here, it's true that counterfeits do exist in large numbers these days and it's a problem for a lot of people. Not everyone who buys old games is an experienced collector who knows how to spot the fakes. Some people just want to revisit a game from their childhood, and they'll end up accidentally buying a bad fake, made in China, that reuses chips from another device not designed for this purpose, and has the wrong save hardware which constantly puts your data at risk even if it works, and any number of other problems.

In short, always know what the game you're looking for is supposed to look like, especially if it's a GBA or DS game. Look at the plastic itself, and any logos imprinted in it. Does it look different than normal? Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald use translucent plastic, but FireRed/LeafGreen do not.

Know the label. Lots of counterfeits try to photoshop a recreation of the real label from the ground up, instead of making a more direct copy. Some of them do a bad job. Look for anything obviously out of place, like a weird variation of the ESRB label that clearly isn't the real one. Is the label supposed to be shiny? Metallic-looking? Pokemon Emerald is supposed to have a sort of fragmented holographic effect distinct from the other Pokemon games. And real GBA games have a small number physically imprinted on the label, generally near the right side. Sometimes you can see that in pictures, and that's a good sign.

Edit: I went to go look for a quick example and found a fun one: imgur.com/a/uOasupD

Look at that. The top cartridge is real. The bottom one isn't supposed to have those characters on it. Come on.

Some DS Pokemon games have infrared communication features. Those cartridges are supposed to be much darker than other DS games. That's a good sign. If you see a normal-looking grey Heartgold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black2/White2, run away.

Study the backs of real DS cartridges (the whole back, including the Nintendo logo, the text right below it, and the printed serial number). I've never seen a fake get the whole DS cartridge back to look right. If you get to know the real ones, fakes will stand out like a sore thumb to you.

And never buy anything that ships from China.

See how complicated this is getting? That alone illustrates how much of a problem counterfeits have become. In my experience it's always possible to spot the fakes, but you do need to know what you're doing. If anyone ever needs help with this, feel free to PM me about it.

Last edited:

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
It's getting harder and harder to sell anything on Amazon. Can't even sell an Xbox controller because I needed approval.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's getting harder and harder to sell anything on Amazon. Can't even sell an Xbox controller because I needed approval.

Same. And honestly, they're winning in my case as I'm at the point of just saying fuck it and buying mostly things digitally and just buying many fewer games and mostly skipping short things I'd blow through and sell off before.

Oct 29, 2017
This is LONG overdue. The absolutely overwhelming amount of counterfeit games being sold on Amazon (with absolutely no way of verifying whether or not what you're buying is a fake) is just utterly absurd.

The DS market has been utterly ruined by counterfeits as it's now almost completely impossible to buy real, original DS games online now. With the rampant rise of "reproduction" (read; counterfeit) NES, SNES, N64 carts? This extension to other Nintendo platforms needed to happen.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue what a repro cart is or how they're made. Not everyone should have to be a seasoned collector to spot fakes.

I'm reserving judgement on this until I have a better understanding of exactly how many hoops someone has to jump through in order to sell legit products.

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
A rep just said this was a mistake on Amazon's forums, and anyone has been able to re-list the closed listings since yesterday anyway. People should wait before going crazy about things.

Edit: Should add there's not been some blanket restriction on 1st party ds or gba games either like the OP says

Last edited:

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
I swear I'm not trying to be petty. But with the recent news that there is an investigation into Amazon selling counterfeit goods and Nike leaving in 2020, can we show some restraint? Misinformation posing as analysis leads to FUD and serves none of us.