• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Update:
This thread is full of misinformation. Nintendo isn't banning used sales, just now they require manual approval when being listed on the Amazon Marketplace. They already implemented this policy years ago for DS and GBA games because of the high amount of counterfeits, but now they are expanding it to all their products.

It's not just because they are greedy and want to stop used sales; they want to stop counterfeits. You can still sell Nintendo products after proving it's an original copy (for example through an invoice).

From the Amazon Forum:

So from doing what bits of research I could in minimal spare time, here are some facts:

• this reaches all the way back to nes and original game boy games.
  • it seems to only hit first part, big name series. Most third party games are still ok with some exceptions.
  • prior approvals seem to be ineffective - i mentioned earlier in the day how a few years ago i got approved in a lengthy four month case to sell about a dozen specific games; most of them are once again gated for me.Again, big name first party series - Zelda, Pokemon. The final fantasy games i sought approval for are still ok to list.
While it's certainly a painful blow to a lot of people, it's expected. It already happened once for game boy advance and original ds games a few years ago, now Nintendo went full barrel. Be happy third party games can still be sold.

For those who need info on what is considered a first party title, look up the roster for a game called Super Smash Bros Brawl - basically, if a character is in that game, you can't sell their series

Again, thank the jerks selling counterfeit carts and "reproduction" copies. They ruined a good thing. Again. Now I'll be sending what I thought was a day off talking to our state Nintendo rep assist in the ungating process…

========================================

The new policy does not seem to affect sales of NEW first-party items, or the sale of items that are not first-party products (like from Capcom or Rare).
Dear FBA seller,

Please read this email carefully. The listing information described below may affect your ability to sell certain products.

As part of our ongoing efforts to provide the best possible customer experience, we are implementing approval requirements for Nintendo products.

What does this mean for me?
Effective on 2019-10-31, you will need approval to list the affected products. If you do not obtain approval to sell these products prior to 2019-10-31, your listings for these products will be removed.

Why am I receiving this message?
You are receiving this message because you have sold affected products in the past. There is no penalty associated with this action.

How do I seek approval to sell the affected products?
If you would like to seek approval to sell the affected products, complete the following steps to start the application process:

1. In Seller Central, click the Inventory menu, and then select Add a Product.
  2. Search for the ASIN you want to sell.
  3. In the search results, click the Listing limitations apply link next to the ASIN.
  4. Click the Request Approval button to start the application process.

Can I still use FBA?
Effective on 2019-10-31, only sellers approved to sell the affected products may send shipments of those products to fulfillment centers.

How will this affect my existing FBA inventory?
If you have remaining inventory of the affected products in Amazon fulfillment centers, you may continue selling your remaining inventory until 2019-10-31. After 2019-10-31, you either need to (i) obtain approval to continue to sell the affected products or (ii) create a Removal Order for return or disposal of your remaining FBA inventory.

Although each Removal Order generates a "FBA Return Fee" or "FBA Disposal Fee" that appears in your Seller Central account, we will reimburse fees charged for any Removal Order for the affected FBA inventory placed till 2019-10-31. After 2019-10-31, you will not be reimbursed for removal fees charged for affected FBA inventory.

We appreciate your cooperation in this important matter, and thank you for selling on Amazon.

Regards, Amazon Services
Was this email helpful?

So from doing what bits of research I could in minimal spare time, here are some facts:

• it seems to only hit first part, big name series. Most third party games are still ok with some exceptions.
  • prior approvals seem to be ineffective - i mentioned earlier in the day how a few years ago i got approved in a lengthy four month case to sell about a dozen specific games; most of them are once again gated for me.Again, big name first party series - Zelda, Pokemon. The final fantasy games i sought approval for are still ok to list.
While it's certainly a painful blow to a lot of people, it's expected. It already happened once for game boy advance and original ds games a few years ago, now Nintendo went full barrel. Be happy third party games can still be sold.

For those who need info on what is considered a first party title, look up the roster for a game called Super Smash Bros Brawl - basically, if a character is in that game, you can't sell their series

Again, thank the jerks selling counterfeit carts and "reproduction" copies. They ruined a good thing. Again. Now I'll be sending what I thought was a day off talking to our state Nintendo rep assist in the ungating process…

Last edited by a moderator:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So it looks like storefronts can't sell used Nintendo 1st party games anymore? Due to fakes or just trying to close off the used market?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking stupid.

Good thing I primarily buy my used games through ebay. Amazon sellers always overprice their shit.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why though, what possible reason would amazon have to prevent sales of used Nintendo product? It just seems unfair to sellers and customers. 😕

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Why though, what possible reason would amazon have to prevent sales of used Nintendo product? It just seems unfair to sellers and customers. 😕

Looks like a Nintendo decision. "You guys better enforce this, or we won't send you anymore new game copies". Nintendo and Amazon have been fighting for over a decade now.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
It does effect the sale of new first party items though. A year or so ago they stopped allowing third parties to list items from Nintendo as new unless you got Nintendo's permission. So this kills all sales from en myself. Basically this is Nintendo's way of getting Amazon to fix prices and make sure they stay high.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
they've banned other items before due to counterfeits, not sure if it applies in this case though. The reddit comments seem to say amazon takes as big of a cut as ebay though

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nintendo already threaten Amazon to sue them and stop selling all of their products on Amazon? I think there was something because Amazon did undercut other retailers and Nintendo didn't want to see any discounts for their stuff because they want to keep the prices high to avoid any kind of "race to the bottom".

Still don't understand how forced price-fixing by Nintendo can be legal.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Amazon sellers always overprice their shit.
There seems to be a 15% surcharge for putting your items on Amazon to sell, according to the Reddit comments:

I wish! Amazon still takes a healthy cut of 15% then I pay for the shipping which is about $4 for a Switch game. Plus I buy my own packing supplies so that's another dollar or so. In the end I am not getting back what I paid for the game, but at least I don't have games sitting around that I will never play again. Then any money I get from the sale is usually spent on buying the next Nintendo game.
The last item I did make money on was selling the hardcover Skyrim game guide. Got it for about $20 and sold it for about $45.
Not sure what I'll do now, I really dislike eBay (takes longer to list an item and requires re-listing if it doesn't sell) and don't feel like meeting people in person via Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Maybe someone else has suggestions...

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say it's because there are tons of fake products all over Amazon. It's really hard to buy a DS Pokémon game and get a real cartridge nowadays.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Well that's stupid.

The reaction to microsoft stopping used games sales should apply to nintendo too. Choice for consumers is important, espcially with people on a budget and espcially with nintendos lack of reducing prices on older games.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a Nintendo decision. "You guys better enforce this, or we won't send you anymore new game copies". Nintendo and Amazon have been fighting for over a decade now.

Urgh that's so lame though.

I have been moving away from buying new games from Amazon but I do buy used games from Amazon marketplace. 😕

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say it's because there are tons of fake products all over Amazon. It's really hard to buy a DS Pokémon game and get a real cartridge nowadays.

Of course Nintendo is just trying to protect us from scammers, it doesn't have anything to do with used products canibilizing their sales.
/s

It's the money. It's always the money.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This move keeps prices high, by making sure cheaper options aren't available to customers.
Imagine this spreading to other retailers/sites? Yikes!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Nintendo is just trying to protect us from scammers, it doesn't have anything to do with used products canibilizing their sales.
/s

It's the money. It's always the money.

They would have done the same thing on literally every storefront if that was the case, and as far as I know, I can still sell my games on GAME.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's stupid.

The reaction to microsoft stopping used games sales should apply to nintendo too. Choice for consumers is important, espcially with people on a budget and espcially with nintendos lack of reducing prices on older games.
The Xbox thing was that the system straight up wouldn't play used games and the fact that they announced it at the reveal. You're not going to get the same reaction from people over this

I mean, game companies sure do too.
Digital is already starting to beat out physical in some cases.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Look at polls here. The majority of enthusiasts also do.

This site is also not one full of collectors, either, so not the best place to gauge those types of polls. There are plenty of collectors, and lots of digital enthusiasts, yes, but the main ones who want to push digital are those that want the biggest cuts of profits. It's no surprise that pushing digital so hard have had more people tend to go that route, as well. In the end, Nintendo earns more money out of it, especially when they don't put their stuff on sale much, either.

Clarifications

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is full of misinformation. Nintendo isn't banning used sales, just now they require manual approval when being listed on the Amazon Marketplace. They already implemented this policy years ago for DS and GBA games because of the high amount of counterfeits, but now they are expanding it to all their products.

It's not just because they are greedy and want to stop used sales; they want to stop counterfeits. You can still sell Nintendo products after proving it's an original copy (for example through an invoice).

From the Amazon Forum:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I assume it's because used Nintendo games are particularly likely to be counterfeit goods relative to other things sold on the marketplace and not Nintendo applying some weird pressure to Amazon somehow

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Yeah, I got the E-mail today. Unbelieveable

Thankfully I already sold all the Nintendo games that I intended to sell all except one.

No one wants to buy ARMS anymore 😭

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What did you base this on?

Well, I doubt Amazon would make the decision themselves, and they and Nintendo have fought for a long time through various reasons. It's more an assumption that if Amazon didn't implement this, that Nintendo would withhold 1st party stock, yet again.

redmambaxiii

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

From the Amazon Forum:

This should be the OP

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019

From the Amazon Forum:
Sorry but that is nonsense. To get permission you have to prove you're a licensed reseller. Normal end users like me who buy games and immediately resell them can't get permission. This is done explicitly to stifle used games sales.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From the Amazon Forum:
This seems still bad. counterfeits are fine if they work well, you're just paying more for the game this way.

edit: I take it back after hearing some of the shit that happens with counterfeit Pokémon carts.

Last edited: